General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User MissMoppet
(newbie) Mon 03-Oct-11 18:40:41
Print Post

BT stuck on 2.3Megs?

[link to this post]

For some years I have enjoyed a rate from 5 - 6.5Megs but in the last 4 months it has remained stuck on 2.3. No matter what time of day or night the speed remains that. Despite numerous chats with most of the Indian sub-continent BT cannot budge it. I have formed the impression that there is some sort of choke or filter at the exchange limiting me to this speed. Is this likely to be so? And . . . can I get a 2/3rd reduction? (I think I know the answer to that one).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 03-Oct-11 22:34:27
Print Post

Re: BT stuck on 2.3Megs?

[re: MissMoppet] [link to this post]

Please can you run a BT speed test and post the results as far as the upstream speeds.

If you can also find and post your router stats, (from the Home Hub?), that would help. Particularly the connection speeds, attenuations and noise margins. This might help you find them.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User MissMoppet
(newbie) Tue 04-Oct-11 10:36:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks for your interest. The simplest would be to attach a screen shot but this forum doesn't seem to have that facility: or I can't find it.
So copying off (hope it means something to you):
Download speed 1823 Kbps (max achievable 2000)
DSL connectio rate 2752 (downstream), 448 Up
IP Profile for your line is 2000.

I'm afraid I couldn't understand what to do when I followed the link suggested below that took me to "your router stats"). The longer link was a 404 anyway.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wanapoo
(member) Tue 04-Oct-11 12:19:11
Print Post

Hello MissMoppet.

Do you know how to access the connection statistics in I pressume the BT Homehub.
If I remember correctly, the login details are on the back of the homehub on a label. If you can login and navigate to the advanced settings section, then broadband and then adsl i think.

That page will give information saying things like sync speeds up and down, attenuation and snr margins. please make a note of the values and post them here please.

Also, could you describe what tests have you carried out so far. For example testing in the test point in the bt master socket etc.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Oct-11 12:19:25
Print Post

Are you using a BT Home Hub to connect, or if not - what?

If it is a Home Hub, just type 192.168.1.254 into the URL box and when it asks you to log in the username is admin and the password is admin.

Then you should be able to find the stats from the menus you see.

You can't post screen shots, but copy/paste works just like it does in a word processor. So you can copy the result, (we don't need another BT speed test though), then paste here. Those stats are the clue to the problem, as the figures you just gave show the speed is correct for the connection speed. The connection speed is what is wrong, and the stats should explain the reason for that.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User MissMoppet
(newbie) Tue 04-Oct-11 16:34:37
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

I have run a cable direct into the master test socket and have bought the BT accelerator which zoomed it up from 1.9 to 2.3 where it has remained. Doesn't the IP Profile of 2000 which I noted in my previous email answer this problem? I take this to mean that that has been fixed by BT in the exchange and that is it as far as I can hope for - till we storm the barricades.
Standard User wanapoo
(member) Tue 04-Oct-11 17:07:19
Print Post

Hello MissMoppet,

The IP Profile doesn't give the whole picture. The IP profile is what the system thinks is the maximum/optimum the line can handle.

We need the statistics from the homehub to know what speed its connected to the telephone exchange (sync), If your sync speed is low, that will be the reason why the ip profile is stuck low.

How long the homehub thinks the length of the copper wires are to the telephone exchange to work out what speeds should be (Attenuation), If it thinks the wires are really long, it will again set the profile low.

We need to know if there is any noise or interference which is upsetting the broadband signal (SN Margin). If the SN Margin is high, it thinks its a bad quality or a fault on the line which means it will set the IP Profile Low.

Please post the statistics from the homehub as there isn't enough information.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 04-Oct-11 17:12:45
Print Post

I'm afraid it doesn't, sorry.

The IP Profile tracks the connection speed. See this page.

We can see from your BT speed test that the connection speed has gone down. The IP Profile falls as a result, and the actual throughput is limited by the IP Profile.

The stats will show other important data, in particular the attenuations and noise margin. I expect the noise margin to be abnormally high, and there are things that can be done about that. Getting the noise margin reduced will increase the connection speed, but we need to know where we are starting from, or whether some other factor is in play and the noise margin is normal.

ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Thu 06-Oct-11 10:27:56
Print Post

Re:BT stuck on 2.3Megs?

Hey MissMoppet

I have just seen you post and would like to look into this for you, if you send me over your details via http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950 I will run some checks and see what I can do.

Regards David
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 06-Oct-11 14:13:18
Print Post

You sound as though you may have given up. Don't! smile

To get hold of the Home Hub stats, see this post. Note, it is the router password you change, not the internet password inside the router. Write it down as well!

Or has BT_Care sorted things for you?

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to