General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User tehidyman
(learned) Thu 13-Oct-11 14:08:06
Print Post

Plusnet's Profile system

[link to this post]

For the past week or more my BT IP profile has been about 4690 (I'm on 88.2% of sync) My download speed is however subject to Plusnets profile system which limits me to about 3500. BT test results have been posted to them by me with no improvement. I find this frustrating that BT have improved the system but Plusnet cannot implement it. Do all ISPs have this problem or are there any that give you what BT do. I want to keep my phone with BT. Line stats are Sync at 5312, noise margin is just under 6 and attenuation about 52. All units are the usual ones.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 13-Oct-11 15:48:15
Print Post

Re: Plusnet's Profile system

[re: tehidyman] [link to this post]

Even on the old system you should be on a 4500kbps profile, (which is as ear dammit 4690 as makes little difference), not 3500, so something needs sorting anyway.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 13-Oct-11 15:59:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I find this frustrating that BT have improved the system but Plusnet cannot implement it.

There is still an update needed to the system that sends us the reports with the profiles on, this is still sending the old style rounded profiles hence our system hasn't changed yet. This is due to update in December IIRC and we've done the development work needed for this on our side.

As RobertoS says something is wrong there anyway so if you'd like me to get someone to take a look just PM your username across.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 13-Oct-11 21:14:34
Print Post

[re: tehidyman] [link to this post]

Most providers never used the IP Profile settings passed to them, some would take them and simple show you the setting in the customer portal.

With Plusnet unique traffic systems there was a reason for knowing and using the figure.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Fri 14-Oct-11 15:17:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
With Plusnet unique traffic systems there was a reason for knowing and using the figure.

It's because if we didn't our traffic prioritisation wouldn't work (i.e. the gold, titanium etc).

Traffic will come from the internet as fast as the given server can send it. This is usually much faster than the customer's connection can handle.

If we then slow that traffic down to the given profile speed, we can ensure that the information is sent on to the exchange and then the customer in the correct priority order. However if we allowed all the traffic through to the exchange, information would be sent in an arbitrary order meaning that we'd lose the ability to prioritise gaming or VoIP traffic over p2p for example.

Hope that helps explain things,

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to