General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User MiltonKeynesJ
(newbie) Sat 15-Oct-11 11:45:30
Print Post

Aol disconnecting every 2 minutes then reconnects

[link to this post]

DONT KNOW IF THIS IS IN THE RIGHT PLACE - PLEASE MOVE IT IF YOU CAN

SHORT VERSION:

------ Do I ditch AOL because my internet is dropping every 2 minututes, for times of up to 45 seconds? --------

Long version:

Hello I have a problem with my connection dropping every 2 minutes.

I have a "speedtouch router st585 v6" with isp aol, have been with aol for a few years and using a broadband package. The internet and connection has always been bad because of the area I live in, bad upload and download speeds. But has never until recently disconnected every 2 minutes.

The phone line is with bt and we have been on the phone with aol support and they don't seem to fix the problem.

1 day the connection kept dropping every few minutes and since then has got worse, disconnecting every 1 min 30 secs and sometimes exactly every 2 minutes (give or take a second) and then after disconnecting it takes 15 to 45 seconds to reconnect. The error message after every disconnect says: Disconnected by peer

I have tried new cables for everything , have tried new filters, have tried changing settings on router like turning off firewall, restarting router, resetting router, resetting to default factory settings etc. Yes there is a filter on every socket in the house, yes I have tried connecting with the phones unplugged, yes I have tried putting the dsl into the main socket.

Still no fix. Only thing I haven't tried is getting a new router, I think aol sent the speedtouch for free but I wasn't the person to set it up so I don't know what I'm doing and don't want to buy another.

Was thinking about switching all my internet to sky or bt not sure yet.

I don't really know what I'm doing so could you please help me with this.

Edited by MiltonKeynesJ (Sat 15-Oct-11 11:52:10)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Oct-11 12:19:19
Print Post

Re: Aol disconnecting every 2 minutes then reconnects

[re: MiltonKeynesJ] [link to this post]

Nothing obvious springs to mind immediately, as you have done all the usual things.

By the "main socket", do you mean the normal external socket on the master, or the test socket inside it?

Are you actually on Milton Keynes exchange?

How much do you pay, and have you tried your number into any FTTC checkers? FTTC could hugely improve your speeds, if that is worth a bit. The stability issue is another thing.

There's a thought - have you tried a phone (preferably a corded one) into the test socket and done a Quiet Line Test, 17070 option 2?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 15-Oct-11 12:22:11
Print Post

Post your line stats reported by your router. I think this link may work: http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0

______________________________________________________________________________. __________________

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Fri
(newbie) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:00:36
Print Post

The issue is not on your end. AOL is having issues at the moment. The tech guys know about it but AOL support denies it.

It's affecting either a large amount of customers or possibly all AOL customers.
It started on Wednesday in the early hours of the morning.
It's affecting people in Milton Keynes, Bedford and other areas throughout the UK.
When it first started connections would last less than a minute, and now sometimes last 2 minutes or so.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 15-Oct-11 14:18:41
Print Post

[re: Fri] [link to this post]

It does look like that from "The error message after every disconnect says: Disconnected by peer", but I didn't like to raise it as I hadn't seen any other complaints and would have expected support to tell him.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to