General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Lookatmema
(newbie) Fri 21-Oct-11 10:11:48
Print Post

Eclipse cut speed. Who can offer the same as I had?

[link to this post]

Users will probably know that Eclipse recently changed supplier and in doing so reduced the line speed of a number of users..

I'm one of those users. I used to sync at approx 15-16 Mbps downstream, but now it's 8 Mbps.

Eclipse can't do anything for me, simply offering me fibre, or a few pence rebate and 1 Mbps upstream - not much use.

What has happened here ? I've tried to get an explanation from Eclipse but nothing is forthcoming.

I'm thinking of going to Sky, who offer ADSL Max from my exchange. Although Sky say I can expect between 9.5 - 16 Mbps downstream, I'm concerned that they might be able to only supply speed of 8 Mbps, as from what I read, this appears to be the theoretical maximum for ADSL Max.

Is it likely that anyone will be able to offer me a downstream speed of 15 - 16 Mbps again??
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Oct-11 10:19:33
Print Post

Re: Eclipse cut speed. Who can offer the same as I had?

[re: Lookatmema] [link to this post]

If your exchange is 21CN enabled then any BT reseller can offer the higher speeds.
If it isn't then your only hope is LLU - have Sky unbundled your exchange

Edited by Oldjim (Fri 21-Oct-11 11:03:37)

Standard User Lookatmema
(newbie) Fri 21-Oct-11 10:57:25
Print Post

[re: Oldjim] [link to this post]

No sign of 21CN here, but Sky have unbundled here so they're looking favourable.

My worry is speed - BE seem to be the only ISP able to offer the kind of speed I had before, or can Sky offer it too?

Thanks.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Oct-11 11:04:40
Print Post

Please can you post the link to what samknows says about your exchange, as we are shooting in the dark without it.

As a side question, Eclipse changed supplier? From and to? Or don't you know.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User Lookatmema
(newbie) Fri 21-Oct-11 11:56:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Here's what Samknows says about my exchange - http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/ESDAB

Eclipse don't say who they've changed to. Their e-mail said -

"Many thanks for your email, I am sorry to hear you are getting slower speeds.

I have spoken to my technical support team in relation to this.

What's happened is we have moved away form a previous supplier and moved to a better infrastructure for our core network.

This has affected a small number of customer speeds and yours is one of them, we are able to reduce the cost you currently pay to £12.56 inc vat and increase your upload speed up to 1 meg"
Standard User cheshire_man
(fountain of knowledge) Fri 21-Oct-11 12:50:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I believe Eclipse are no longer buying LLU services and are switching folk, where they can, to 21CN. I was so moved a few months ago and my speed went up 40-50%. However it's evident that where 21CN is not available then folk are being moved back to BT non-21CN services. Some win, some lose. For the latter it's not a very good way to keep customers happy, or to keep them at all.

Tony
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Fri 21-Oct-11 14:25:40
Print Post

[re: cheshire_man] [link to this post]

Sounds a bit like Orange! grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User ionic
(experienced) Fri 21-Oct-11 14:50:51
Print Post

Eclipse used to take datastream (and then presumably LLU) wholesale services from Tiscali - now park of talktalk.
It appears that they are now solely using BT Wholesale.

Back in the day whe they first did this, you could opt out of having a line moved to the datastream network and be left on BT.

If I were to make a guess, the switch back of all lines might have something to do with (new?) opal LLU connections now having to by MPF rather than SMPF which doesn't seem to fit too well with Eclipse's business model.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Oct-11 15:20:15
Print Post

[re: ionic] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ionic:
If I were to make a guess, the switch back of all lines might have something to do with (new?) opal LLU connections now having to by MPF rather than SMPF.
(Opal is now called TalkTalk Business Wholesale). But since when do their wholesale connections have to be MPF? That used to be the case, but, for example, as far as I know vivaciti are offering SMPF through them. Possibly others are as well.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 21-Oct-11 15:26:36
Print Post

Re: Eclipse cut speed. Who ... (Edited)

The others have explained what has happened - you have been moved onto BT IPStream Connect, the equivalent of the old ADSL Max, and capped at 8Mbps sync.

Your best option for the broadband itself on that exchange is Be. For best price, TalkTalk direct or Sky. (You no longer have to have Sky TV, and you can have Sky Talk keeping it a "BT line", or if you take Sky Line Rental it will be full LLU, which I don't like but you have to take Sky Line rental so full LLU like TalkTalk direct).

There are also a few TalkTalk Wholesale resellers, including such as vivaciti that I just mentioned, xilo/uno, and IIRC Aquiss.

All of these will bring your speeds back up, with Be probably marginally the fastest, particularly on clean lines where you can have it put on higher performance settings.

(Edit - I forgot about the "full LLU only" from 1 September. My thanks to boysteve for pointing it out to me).

Edited by RobertoS (Fri 21-Oct-11 23:12:23)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to