General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrisatsea
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 10:08:30
Print Post

Orange speed problems

[link to this post]

I am new to posting messages, but iam so fed up with the exuses that Orange give. like all the other posts it is a waste of time talking to India.So I contacted OFTEL who gave me an 0800 number and a registration code. That woke Orange up but however there level 3 engineer spent 30 min baffeling me with science.
Bruno Duarte the boss of Orange Broadband made a statement to the media as follows:"Our objective is to get to a point where we are no longer ashamed of what we are doing to our customers, or to put it positively, where we are proud of what we are doing to our customers, If you believe that then the Murdocks must be Saints.
To rub salt in the wound yesterday Orange E mailed the closing of there Web service that was part of my contract.My Speed was 11.2 meg now for the last 2 months has been going down to 1.8 meg where it sits.
Orange say they do not know why??
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 10:26:41
Print Post

Re: Orange speed problems

[re: Chrisatsea] [link to this post]

Which web service? Mail?

In terms of speed, are you talking about speedtest results, or the connection data from the LiveBox itself?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Chrisatsea
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 10:59:54
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Sorry I said I was new at this
The web service is a free 50 meg of web site. That I used for a memorial site for Family and Friends in Memory of our Daughter who died at 34 Years 2 years ago,
She was a supporter and member of the RNLI and my little site included all things nautical.
The speed is speedtest results both from TBL and the BT test that Orange keep telling me to do.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 11:09:39
Print Post

On the website, I don't recommend specific hosts, lots of low cost out there.

Suspect they are removing it because the expertise to keep it running is going to firms that pay better. Orange announced a load of job cuts yesterday.

On the speeds if the connection speed remains static then the inference it is the Orange/BT Wholesale network, switching to even a different provider that uses BT Wholesale may improve things.

If the connection data as reported by the live box is varying a lot, then we can walk you through checking your wiring out. Do you know how to get connection speed, attenuation and noise margin from the router. In theory support should have checked this, but invariably they don't bother.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User smurf46
(member) Thu 03-Nov-11 11:35:00
Print Post

To find out how to get Livebox details go to this page, scroll down and click on Livebox: http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#29 . You should be able to highlight the relevant details on the Livebox configuration pages with your mouse , then right click, cut and paste into a forum message (though do not post your IP address, username or password though please).

We see things not as they are, but as we are .
- Anais Nin
Standard User Chrisatsea
(newbie) Thu 03-Nov-11 11:41:10
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Status Up

LinkStatus Up

LinkType PPPoA

DataPath Fast

UpstreamAttenuation 175

DownstreamAttenuation 300

UpstreamNoiseMargin 61

DownstreamNoiseMargin 23

UpstreamMaxRate 1156000

DownstreamMaxRate 14096

UpstreamCurrRate 1155

DownstreamCurrRate 14096

UpstreamPower 120

DownstreamPower 0

Just lost all my reply when it was sent so trying again,
And now my Livebox Second line has gone down.
As to wiring Line comes in 3 feet to BT master socket then filter and livebox , no extensions Etc
Thanks for your interest
Standard User XRaySpeX
(knowledge is power) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:08:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrisatsea:
DownstreamCurrRate 14096
If this stays about the same, then your main issue is congestion in the network when your speedtests only register 1.8 Meg. Is this at any particular time, like peak times?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:09:31
Print Post

According to those stats you should still be getting the 11.2Mbps download you used to have, as you are connected at 14Mbps.

When was the last time you turned the LiveBox off and on?

To others helping, what do you reckon to the upstream 2.3dB noise margin? (The decimal points are missing from margin and attenuation).

(Edit - typo).
(Edit 2 - Strike-out of having gone cross-eyed, as pointed out by Andrew).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Thu 03-Nov-11 22:59:18)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:10:47
Print Post

When you run the BT speed test, what does it say the IP Profile is please?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 03-Nov-11 13:13:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Cough, Downstream noise margin is 2.3dB so looks like a 3dB target. If this is dropping below 2dB then I'd sacrifice some downstream speed and request a 6dB target margin

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to