General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Zoopy
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-11 13:48:40
Print Post

BT Charging me for something I was told I would not be

[link to this post]

Hello

On the 3rd of October I rang the moving team to sort out my line as you do.

Was told that since I'm moving to an area that BT's estimations give back 1Mb if I was lucky and so the person setting up the line put through two orders (voice and BB) instead of one full order, but was told that there was a £30 charge for doing it this way, but it would be refunded once it showed on my bill and all I needed to do was ring up give them a reference number and hey presto £30 removed from my bill

No, rang up today to try and sort it out, give them reference number and was told there was nothing on the notes to show, but was told that it would be sent to a supervisor that would play back the recording of the conversation that I had with the moving team and would get back to me within the hour, 3 hours later nothing so rang back to be told as there are no notes on the system there was nothing that could be done....

So now not only am I stuck in a 18 mth contract (went through this because of the £130 engineer visit would not have to be paid for) instead of a 12mth I now have to fork out extra money for something that I was told I wouldn't have to pay.

If i knew this beforehand I wouldn't have bothered staying with BT and moved elsewhere! gutted is an understatement lol
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 15:01:20
Print Post

Re: BT Charging me for something I was told I would not be

[re: Zoopy] [link to this post]

First time I've heard of this £30 charge.

Are you sure the £30 is not actually for the cease at the last premises? Rather than being charged £30 for providing broadband at the new premises?

Cease fees for stopping service at one place, and moving somewhere else are common place. An ISP can absorb this if they want to, and sounds like this was maybe promised, but as ever if the email confirmation does not show it then question it as soon as possible.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zoopy
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-11 15:23:12
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

This is whats on the bill :-

One-off charges More information

Your line installation

25 Oct 11

£30.00

This is made up of:

New phone line £130.00

This is the standard charge for installing a new line

Credit : Connection Charge Special -£100.00 25 Oct 11

Offer

You get your line installation at a special rate. We show this on your bill

by giving you a discount

This is the discount for your Connection Charge

Total one-off charges

£30.00

What I was told on the phone was as there was no line would have to pay £130 for engineer visit but if you take an 18 mth contract you don't have to pay that (as I was pushed for cash at that time (moving and all) I agreed to the 18mth)... then after being on hold for a few minutes "I cant put this order through as one order as we may not be able to give you broadband since the estimate is so low, so I'll have to put this through as two separate orders, there will be a charge for this (I'm sure he said 29.99 though) but i'll give you a reference number, and once the charge appears on the bill give BT a ring back and give them the reference and they take it off as I have put notes in place on that reference number and the other person has to "abide by the notes""

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 16-Nov-11 15:29:31
Print Post

Okay reads like if they do a simultaneous order they right off the full install cost.
When done as two seperate orders they charge just £30 rather than £130. They are perfectly at liberty to do this.

Did you not receive any paperwork indicating what you had agreed to prior to activation, as a phone based order, they are required I believe to send out paperwork so you can review things.

Sounds very like a sales person pulling a quick one, just to ensure their sales figures were good for the day. BT should be able to spot if the reference number is one they can generate, and if not enquire with the sales agent.

If you get nowhere with the sales team, ask to escalate to High Level Complaints.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zoopy
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-11 15:34:59
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Received nothing apart from a welcome pack that explained how to set-up broadband in the house

No paperwork about the order etc

I have sent off an email complaining and will await a reply from that before doing anything else I think.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 16-Nov-11 18:57:52
Print Post

You are being charged for a discounted new line connection charge for phone only:
BT line only new connection (no broadband or TV): £30 for customers who require a new BT line (normally £130 see specific terms below).
It seems that you were not eligible for the free charge:
Broadband and Calls new connection: FREE for customers who require a new BT line (normally £130).
because at the time of ordering, BT was unsure whether they could supply BB on your long line.

However, as they did supply BB (I presume as you never actually said you got BB from them) you should get that £30 refunded as they promised and as it is in their T&Cs. You should issue a formal complaint on their website's Contact Us for Billing.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 17 Meg Untweaked 19 Meg Tweaked WBC
Standard User Zoopy
(newbie) Wed 16-Nov-11 23:17:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Yeah I got the broadband from them a little over the estimated speed too lol granted I had to wait another week or so for them to sort the broadband side out but yeah estimated speed of ~1Mbps 2.5Mbps if I was lucky, speed tester here hasn't had my connection below 5.1Mbps apart from a couple of blips in the 10 day period, at the moment its getting upto 5.8Mbps and quite happy with it (its actually a better connection with speed than my old address that was apparently closer to the exchange than this house lol).

Only gripe I have with it at this stage is I cant order BT Vision as BT's system is stating my line is too slow, but im sure the minimum for vision is 2.5Mbps so I guess I'll have to wait until the system updates itself with the actual speed not just BT's "this is what you will get, honest" estimate :\

The email I sent off was to the complaint dept of orders not of billing, since I thought it would be with them I would have to deal with since it is their mistake.

If I dont hear anything from them I will go down the billing complaints route and add info you have given me, thanks for the advice smile
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Mon 21-Nov-11 10:07:50
Print Post

Re:BT Charging me for something I was told I would not be

Hi

I have just seen your post and would like to look into this for you to see what has happened, if you drop me over your details via http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4950 I will gladly look into this and give you a call to discuss.

Regards
David
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User Zoopy
(newbie) Mon 21-Nov-11 11:16:21
Print Post

[re: BT_Care] [link to this post]

No its all right BT_Care received email last night saying that the charge is going to be taken off my account (not that it has by the looks of the BT webpage)

Thanks anyway smile
ISP Representative BT_Care
(isp) Wed 23-Nov-11 12:37:56
Print Post

Hi Zoopy

I am glad you have got it sorted out however if you do want me to check just to make sure it has been removed correctly from your account just let me know.

Regards David

NULL
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to