General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User dstretch
(learned) Tue 17-Jan-12 13:38:06
Print Post

REALLY fed up with TalkTalk now ...

[link to this post]

I've been experiencing very slow speeds most evenings (but not all) since around September 2011.

I've had a ticket open with TalkTalk Business support since October 6th where I've given them every bit of information under the sun to no avail.

My last update said it was "with their network team still", but they don't seem to be doing anything visible and never tell me what's going on.

When I performed the BT "test 3" (router config changed to speedtest user) on speedtester.bt.com I get 5-8Mb results, using the normal TalkTalk network ... 0.7-1.5Mb lots of the time. I often seem to be able to download at no more than 49KB/s from any site. Sometimes though it will jump up to around 200-250KB/s which is usable(ish), but still not really suitable for downloading 12GB PC games from Steam or trying to stream HD video from Netflix frown frown

I live 425M from my exchange in a small village full of elderly people ...

Since it seems to be the fashion, here are my current router stats:

Connection Speed: 7616 kbps / 832 kbps
Line Attenuation: 10.0 db / 8.0 db
Noise Margin: 15.4 db / 8.0 db

At the end of the day I'm really fed up with them and wondered if anyone has any ideas I can try or things I can ask them to check ...

Yours frustratingly

Dave

Edited by dstretch (Tue 17-Jan-12 13:47:53)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jan-12 13:50:23
Print Post

Re: REALLY fed up with TalkTalk now ...

[re: dstretch] [link to this post]

If BT Speedtester works when on TalkTalk you aren't on their LLU service, and their non-LLU service, as with Sky and O2 too is considered very poor.

Time to change providers is the best advice, what exchange are you connected to?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User dstretch
(learned) Tue 17-Jan-12 13:55:42
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I'm on the Mendlesham exchange which isn't LLU according to samknows frown

Who are good providers for non-LLU?

Ta

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 14:21:55
Print Post

The main thing we need to know to answer the question is how much you download a month. It sounds like quite a bit. If it is, could any of it be scheduled to night-time?

How much are you paying TT, and is the phone line with them as well? Are you out of any minimum term contract?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 17-Jan-12 14:22:38)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 17-Jan-12 14:27:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Names to look at

BT Total
Plusnet
IDNet
Zen

BT Total seems an odd inclusion, but possibly the only unlimited option if your usage is going to be 100GB+ a month.

Avoid
TalkTalk
AOL
O2
Sky
any missing?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 14:32:04
Print Post

I think I'd add Orange to the Avoid list. I wouldn't trust it with the exchange being non-WBC.

My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

Standard User dstretch
(learned) Tue 17-Jan-12 15:59:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

A lot! I really need an unlimited contract as I download lots of PC games (legally I might add!) and am getting into streaming video services like Netflix so 50-75GB probably isn't out of the ordinary.

I'm currently paying £24 a month and that doesn't include phone line. It was originally a contract with Nildram (who were excellent), but it's been through a handful of buyouts on the journey to TalkTalk.
Standard User dstretch
(learned) Tue 17-Jan-12 16:09:39
Print Post

Having had a look at those, IDNet Home SuperMax looks the best for me. No traffic shaping at all which is super-appealing!

Thanks guys smile

Edited by dstretch (Tue 17-Jan-12 16:10:12)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 17-Jan-12 19:06:28
Print Post

IDNet is very good, but the Peak Times do apply at weekends as well, unlike some ISPs. I'm with them myself at the moment, but I'm a light user.

Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Tue 17-Jan-12 20:01:07
Print Post

You would not be disappointed with Idnet. They are always very helpful, honest and obliging. Idnetters is the forum to find out everything about them.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to