General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User DavidX
(newbie) Sun 22-Jan-12 15:37:02
Print Post

Never had broadband but Iím being asked for a MAC code

[link to this post]

We have a BT landline, no broadband enabled. All calls are billed by The Post Office. Due to a misunderstanding on our part, we transferred the account from Post Office to BT. Realised the mistake, cancelled the transfer within an hour or two, so back on the PO.
We applied for a broadband account with another provider. That provider says we must have a MAC code, because broadband has already been ordered by BT Retail for our number. The provider kindly sent us a screenshot from BT Wholesale which shows an order has been placed by BT Retail.
BT must have jumped the gun, put in an order without being asked, then not cancelled it when the account was moved back to PO.
Now, the BT helpline says thereís no record of the broadband order (I presume itís because the account has already reverted to the PO), and therefore it canít issue a MAC code.
Stalemate! What to do please?
(Would you suspect a lack of contact between BT Retail and BT Wholesale? )
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 22-Jan-12 16:52:06
Print Post

Re: Never had broadband but Iím being asked for a MAC code

[re: DavidX] [link to this post]

Did you in fact order broadband from BT at the start of this, and that was the misunderstanding - as they require the line rental to be with them? Were you given a broadband date, or just a phone transfer date?

Just trying to clarify a bit. Can't think of the best thing to do.

Which is your chosen ISP?

The MAC issue is confusing, as that is for broadband transfer. But there isn't any broadband. Unless there is or soon will be frown. Gaining ISPs have access to a Tag removal Team for circumstances such as a houseowner has moved out without cancelling their broadband, and the "Tag" on the line prevents a new owner ordering broadband.

I'm surprised another provider can see what orders some other one has placed on a line! ? That there is an order preventing them doing something, yes, by which CP seems wrong.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Standard User DavidX
(newbie) Mon 23-Jan-12 14:21:14
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Many thanks for reply. Broadband was not ordered. We understood the date given was a phone transfer date.
The screenshot I mentioned in my previous post is a BT Wholesale page called Ďtags on the line helpí. It says: ĎA broadband provision order already exists [for the number in question]Ö placed by BT Retail Ö due to be installed on 7 Feb 12í.
It also says the order can be cancelled by contacting the service provider (i.e. BT Retail) before 6 Feb.
I phoned BT Retail (yet again) and they say thereís no outstanding broadband order -- all I need to do is ask the new ISP to get the tag removed. Phoned the ISP and they will try again. Watch this space.
The chosen ISP is Newnet.
(By the way, I should explain Iím doing this on behalf of someone whoís never had broadband, and feels very unconfident dealing with help desks Ė chose Newnet because Iím already a subscriber and find them excellent.)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 23-Jan-12 15:23:35
Print Post

[re: DavidX] [link to this post]

Close to what I suggested then. Maybe tags get put on the line for phone orders as well and somehow things have got confused. Let's hope Newnet get it sorted.

You never know, they might end up with free BT broadband tongue!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 23-Jan-12 21:15:43
Print Post

If the original poster emails or PM's me I'll send over an address to use.

AFAIK WLR phone changes should not show up as a broadband tag, and certainly should not need a MAC.

My money is on their being confusion over packages, and an attempt to upsell when originally talking to BT.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Mon 23-Jan-12 22:04:32
Print Post

There is not TAG marker for WLR as part of the tags system for broadband.
If someone has done a tag check and it shows a broadband order for x of feb, then there a broadband order WAS placed on the line, although if it has since been cancelled I don't have the data for when that cancellation would show on TAGS, but we normally see things within 24hours update

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook
Standard User DavidX
(newbie) Sat 25-Feb-12 13:32:36
Print Post

[re: vivaciti] [link to this post]

Just for the record, the problem has at last been sorted, but not without a frustrating time when BT Wholesale was saying there was broadband on the number and BT Retail was saying there wasn't. Eventually a written complaint to BT did the trick. Many thanks to all on this site!
  Print Thread

Jump to