General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-12 11:16:17
Print Post

Snail pace email receiving from IDNET

[link to this post]

For a few weeks now my incoming emails have taken an age to load on Outlook 2010. I contacted Idnet and spoke to James who told me to delete all my email accounts and re-enter them as it might be a registration problem. I did that and it made no difference. I rang again and James told me that it must be something on my PC that is effecting the receipt of email. I have done a deep scan with AVG and Spybot and nothing has come up. Then suddenly I got an error message, can not contact pop3, or some thing like that. I had a brainwave and thought, try it on the laptop. I only use it when I am away and had forgotten it. Surprise, surprise, it had the same problem. I rang again and spoke to a lady who told me that she would get Brian to ring me within 5 minutes. That was 24 hours ago. I can connect again on my PC and laptop but at snails pace for emails. 2 minutes for 8 tiny files. Strangely internet connection is the best I have ever had. 6304 out of a maximum of 8000kbps. Probably need to change my provider because I can't stand much of this and IDNET clearly don't have a clue. Any ideas anyone?
Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jan-12 12:11:00
Print Post

Re: Snail pace email receiving from IDNET

[re: woodroyd] [link to this post]

Use a seperate mail provider ie gmail, hotmail or pay for a seperate on that is not connected to any ISP.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User woodroyd
(newbie) Sat 28-Jan-12 13:30:25
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

Thanks fo the advice, and I may try that. Two things though, 1, I don't think I should have to, and 2, I will have to go through dozens and dozens of accounts to change the email address

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User cavillas
(knowledge is power) Sat 28-Jan-12 13:47:21
Print Post

It's just easier not to have to rely on a particular isp for email and having an email service that is independant from any isp makes things much easier in the long run. A little time changin email addresses is well worth it in the long run because you would have to do that if you changed isp's and relied on their email system.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 28-Jan-12 13:58:11
Print Post

[re: cavillas] [link to this post]

Or just get a domain and use that, so no matter what ISP you are with, you should be able to take it with you.

Domains can be as little as £5-6 a year, so worth while to have an email address that could last for the rest of your life.

Matt

-
uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 28-Jan-12 14:06:02
Print Post

In reply to a post by woodroyd:
Thanks fo the advice, and I may try that. Two things though, 1, I don't think I should have to, and 2, I will have to go through dozens and dozens of accounts to change the email address
As has been said, migration from an ISP when you use their email usually means you lose that address. So you have to do all those changes in a real rush and probably screw some up. WIth your own domain and third-party hosting, change now at leisure,and never have to do it again.

A few ISPs allow you to keep their email but may charge, or insist on a dialup into it every 60-90 days.

Have a read on my ISP-independent web/email page.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - IDNet Home Starter Fibre. Live BQM.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
  Print Thread

Jump to