General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User pendragon99
(newbie) Sat 04-Feb-12 21:56:07
Print Post

o2 and its so-called "help" line

[link to this post]

I have been with o2 for some 3 years now. Up until end of last Nov I was getting 12 - 14mbs download consistently, occasionally over 14mbs. Sync speed 15.5+ mbs. 700M from exchange. I WAS a happy bunny !

End of Nov 3 outages in 2 weeks. Following that my evening download speed collapsed to dial-up speeds - unusable at times. Overnight, back to usual speeds.
Just out of interest; At 1659 today, I was getting 14.1mbs - at 2044 I was getting 1.6mbs.

I have spent over two months 'phoning and even writing to o2 about this problem. Their response has been totally abysmal. Every time I phone I am told some one will call back - they rarely, if ever, do. I keep calling them. If someone does eventually call I tell them the problem - nothing gets done. I ring again, IF anyone calls back I go through the same thing, again and again and again and.............
The only thing I have gleaned from them is that there are no traffic problems at my exchange - or so they tell me !

I wrote and complained, this got me a phone call from "complaints resolution" who said that they would investigate my complaint. They gave me a £50 credit on my account. Is this a bribe to "shut up and go away" ? NOTHING has happened since - why am I not surprised ?

I have resorted to phoning again. Same response - or lack of it !!

Does anyone one have a name and/or number to get into o2 and speak to someone who actually knows something about broadband and who might actually be capable of doing something other than reading from the same *1$%*#@ !!! script !

Many thanks - I feel a bit better now !
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 04-Feb-12 22:02:37
Print Post

Re: o2 and its so-called "help" line

[re: pendragon99] [link to this post]

You talk about the variability of your throughput speed (I think as you don't make clear) but what about your sync speed?

It's more important to know what that's doing before you consider throughput.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User pendragon99
(newbie) Sat 04-Feb-12 23:15:12
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Sync speed is/was steady at 15.5+ (15.868 at present). All my lines stats are normal. The only time the sync speed has varied was when o2 changed the S/N Margin - which of course just lowered the max download speed I was getting. They dropped it to 11 at one time, which lowered my max download to about 8mbs. Had no effect whatsoever on the evening slump in download speeds. When I asked them to put it back to 15, they got quite "uppity" and said it would make the problem worse. I insisted they put it back, they did eventually - problem stayed the same but max download speed went back to 14mbs.

I am using an auto speed tester set to run every 15 mins. The graph in front of me also gives average speeds every hour. Starting at 1200 today the average hourly download speeds were: 11, 12, 13, 13, 12, 13, 13, then (at 1900) 6, 3, 9, 10, by midnight it will be back to 13. To get an average of 3 means of course that some will be well below that, as I have already said.
o2 told me to use the Bethere speed tester, I did a test earlier on this evening during the slump - I got 1.48mbs which closely matched what the auto tester was giving me.

The symptoms seem to suggest congestion during the evening - but o2 tell me this isn't the case.

The problem itself is annoying enough - but what is far worse is o2's responses - when they bother to respond...............

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User vimto_girl
(regular) Sun 05-Feb-12 11:41:31
Print Post

In reply to a post by pendragon99:
The only thing I have gleaned from them is that there are no traffic problems at my exchange - or so they tell me !
Can you set up a ThinkBroadband "Broadband Quality Monitor"? That should show signs of congestion if it exists for your exchange.

(Be and O2 do not monitor their exchanges as standard. It is up to end users or ISPs using their wholesale service to report congestion. When I reported strong evidence of exchange congestion to Be Retail, they denied it. When an ISP reported it to Be Wholesale, they admitted it. I have been checking, and they are still happily selling capacity there nonetheless...)
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 05-Feb-12 11:53:01
Print Post

Can you not do the one thing that might make them briefly, take notice, and leave ?

Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Mon 06-Feb-12 03:10:46
Print Post

.... The only time the sync speed has varied was when o2 changed the S/N Margin - which of course just lowered the max download speed I was getting. They dropped it to 11 at one time, which lowered my max download to about 8mbs. Had no effect whatsoever on the evening slump in download speeds. When I asked them to put it back to 15, they got quite "uppity" and said it would make the problem worse. I insisted they put it back, they did eventually - problem stayed the same but max download speed went back to 14mbs.

Maybe your wiring is reversed. ;-]
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 06-Feb-12 09:26:41
Print Post

Starting at 1200 today the average hourly download speeds were: 11, 12, 13, 13, 12, 13, 13, then (at 1900) 6, 3, 9, 10, by midnight it will be back to 13. To get an average of 3 means of course that some will be well below that, as I have already said.

Go on, tell us how much you download on a daily basis......

This could just as easy be throttling to to abuse of system at peak times.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Heven \_0-0_/