General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User bombaybud
(newbie) Sun 11-Mar-12 21:52:05
Print Post

Virgin Media

[link to this post]

Hi

Im pretty new to VM about a month now on 30mb XL package. Since joining my broadband speed has been completely erratic ranging from a full 30mb service that drops to as low as 0.3mb in the afternoons. My problems with speed mainly start around 3pm and continue to gradually worsen into the evening, and there is no consistency from one day into another we are talking RANDOM with spikes were the speed may suddenly jump back up for a short period before dropping down to ridiculously slow and even locking up completely. I have had the VM hub changed and this has produced the exact same results and i am really getting nowhere with getting the issue resolved. As i write now, i have been cut of by virgin media twice whilst hanging on for 40mins to contact customer services for the umpteenth time to try and resolve a really poor experience. Compared to my old o2 adsl 8mb rock solid 24 hour a day speed, switching to VM fibre has been a massive dissapointment and not what i was expecting at all. Look forward to any advise as to how to sort this situation out?

steve
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Mar-12 22:14:57
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media

[re: bombaybud] [link to this post]

Sounds like a lot of heavy users in the area.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
Powered by Oh 2
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....
Standard User zootlewurdle
(newbie) Wed 21-Mar-12 16:46:03
Print Post

If you are in an oversubscribed area (one interpretation given your stated symptoms), your chances of seeing a robust fix within the lifespan of the universe is almost exactly 0.

Since Jan 2011 I've seen 3 months of 'acceptable' service on my VM connection (50Mb, mostly) - Cambridge area. I don't even have a fix date from them to miss and push back yet.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 08-Apr-12 21:43:26
Print Post

We are all going through it. I'm getting 13mbps on my 100Mps service been out all weekend., We turn the modem off when not in use - unlike ADSL I don't think it matters

Using my Iphone at 14mbps as it's faster!
Standard User youjohn
(newbie) Sun 08-Apr-12 23:42:00
Print Post

[re: pcoventry76] [link to this post]

Over-utilization.
What is it?
It may be that the sales arm of the company has been doing much too well and that the network arm has been told to sort it out with the speed-double but that's rather cynical.
My new 30Mb connection was brilliant for a month then went bad in October 2011. The "issue" becane official in Jan 2012 so it took much swearing by phone and reasoned argument by letter to get a refund of half the connection cost until April 2012 - the latest "fix" date.
I do hope it will be fixed for everybody.
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 09-Apr-12 14:49:31
Print Post

[re: zootlewurdle] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by zootlewurdle:
If you are in an oversubscribed area (one interpretation given your stated symptoms), your chances of seeing a robust fix within the lifespan of the universe is almost exactly 0.

Since Jan 2011 I've seen 3 months of 'acceptable' service on my VM connection (50Mb, mostly) - Cambridge area. I don't even have a fix date from them to miss and push back yet.

I sadly have to backup your statement.

In 6+ years of using VM(ntl) (cant remember exact period of time) I reckon I have had about 3-4 months of relative uncongested service, that was when they did the uplift work and then took 3-4 months to activate the new speeds, so the upgrade work they did for the 10:1 uplifts was proper congestion relief but of course wasnt done for that purpose it was so they could market better speeds. When they did activate the new speeds it was still not too bad tho, the killer was when they took on 100mbit customers and now my congestion is quite bad again.

The company has a chronic history of under estimating bandwidth needs for high density areas, or they estimate it right and the current congestion levels are deliberate. I still have the opinion that once an area gets bad enough, its like that for life with small periods of relief immediatly after upgrades have been carried out but since they drip feed upgrades congestion will inevitibly come back. The upgrades can be so small and delayed that they often just lessen congestion rather than get rid of it.

We will soon find out how effective the planned upgrades will be for the speed doubling, extra DS channels are been added although so far I have only seen one single person get 8 channels, most seem to have 5 or 6. I have yet to see anyone get US channel bonding even tho thats planned. The new STM will lower utilisation from top tier customers however its upstream limits remain very generous meaning the relief will not be significant, in addition docsis1 customers will be moving over increasing utilisation, probably more than what the new STM saves.

I just hope BT get infinity out as planned here in sept and its good enough for me to ditch VM. As bad as VM is its still overall better than a dodgy adsl service on a long line even when congested.

Edited by Chrysalis (Tue 10-Apr-12 00:12:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 09-Apr-12 18:30:57
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

high denisty areas
dentistry?

Due to the knashing of customers' teeth?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User NilSatisOptimum
(member) Mon 09-Apr-12 20:00:59
Print Post

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
In reply to a post by zootlewurdle:

or they estimate it right and the current congestion levels are deliberate.

Kerching! Had the same experience, around when they first started rolling out their 20mb product and came to the same conclusion. Never been (went) back!

Mortgage Advisor 2000-2008
Green Energy Advisor 2008-2010
Charity Health Care Provider Advisor 2010-
I'm alright Jack....

Edited by NilSatisOptimum (Mon 09-Apr-12 20:02:53)

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Apr-12 00:12:52
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I think you know what I meant,
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 10-Apr-12 10:45:48
Print Post

Ah, but did you get what I meant tongue smile? It seems not.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to