General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robs21
(newbie) Fri 13-Apr-12 03:59:35
Print Post

Talktalk - Bt broadband

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

Im living with my parents and they have a Talk Talk phone line. Ive heard talk talk broad band is not any good for online gaming for ps3 etc.

is it possible to keep the talktalk phoneline but have bt broadband only without there phoneline?

thanks in advance

R
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 13-Apr-12 05:52:57
Print Post

Re: Talktalk - Bt broadband

[re: robs21] [link to this post]

I've got no idea if you can keep talktalk line rental and have a different broadband supplier, HOWEVER Talktalk broadband is excellent for online gaming (epecially if they put you on a fastpath profile). On my TT connection i get pings of <20ms with zero packet loss all the time.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 13-Apr-12 08:42:32
Print Post

AFAIK TalkTalk has not done standalone phone for a while, but that would be across a WLR service which means it should support any broadband provider apart from Sky and other full LLU ones.

Moving to TalkTalk would mean moving to their full LLU network.

TalkTalk was fine for gaming here, a lot of problems are just billing and people not bothering to look at router settings and ensure their home wiring is up to scratch

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Apr-12 08:52:35
Print Post

There are two sorts of TalkTalk Broadband. One as described by the others, and one that is terrible, though I think I remember an announcement a few days ago that they are no longer the terrible one.

It depends which exchange you are on whether you can get the other. Please post the link to what samknows says about yours.

Have they got broadband on the line already?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Moderator billford
(moderator) Fri 13-Apr-12 09:21:35
Print Post

Re: Talktalk - Bt broadband *DELETED*

Post deleted by billford
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 13-Apr-12 10:28:29
Print Post

In reply to a post by robs21:
is it possible to keep the talktalk phoneline but have bt broadband only without there phoneline?
Not according to the BT website. That says for BT Broadband you have to have BT line renatl and call plan.

I've seen it said that if you ring up BT, and are lucky who you speak to, it might be possible.

There are other ISPs who I expect would supply broadband on the TT line. This is assuming you aren't on TalkTalk LLU at the moemnt - see my question earlier.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User fowler002
(regular) Sat 14-Apr-12 02:54:51
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
There are two sorts of TalkTalk Broadband. One as described by the others, and one that is terrible, though I think I remember an announcement a few days ago that they are no longer the terrible one.

It depends which exchange you are on whether you can get the other. Please post the link to what samknows says about yours.

Have they got broadband on the line already?

what there is such a thing as 'not terrible' tt broadband? especially if you should have any problems with it wink
Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Sat 14-Apr-12 06:19:32
Print Post

[re: fowler002] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by fowler002:
what there is such a thing as 'not terrible' tt broadband? especially if you should have any problems with it wink

That's because TalkTalk's actual broadband (LLU flavour) works the way it should, there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. However if a not-very-technically-minded talktalk customer is getting frequent disconnections (eg due to his poor wiring) and the telephone support team is unable to help then of course the customer will be screaming expletives and saying the actual broadband network is <insert expletive>. If talktalk customers stick to web support they'll have absolutely no problems. Unfortunately any company which offers £3.49pm broadband is never ever going to provide the same level of phone support as a top end isp such as AAISP.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18015/1019 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 14-Apr-12 09:06:09
Print Post

In reply to a post by robs21:
Hi folks,

Im living with my parents and they have a Talk Talk phone line. Ive heard talk talk broad band is not any good for online gaming for ps3 etc.

thanks in advance

R

Is it just me......

But how does this fit into ISP UNHAPPINESS.......

It would appear that th OP is not using TT for internet, or he would know if it was good/bad.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/