General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Zoopy
(newbie) Thu 19-Apr-12 23:06:59
Print Post

BT line slowing down over time?

[link to this post]

Hey,

I was wondering if any of you could help pin this one down.

After moving to another exchange in October and getting speeds that were way over BT's estimate of 1Mb.

But now it seems like its slowing down and after a few months of getting 5.5Mb is now around 2.5Mb - 3.5Mb

my router stats are :-

Line state Connected
Connection time 2 days, 22:10:22
Downstream 4,416 Kbps
Upstream 448 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.1
Latency type Fast
Noise margin (Down/Up) 14.6 dB / 22.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 40.0 dB / 22.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 19.8 dBm / 12.1 dBm

I do also have the graph from TB as well just to so the slow drop in speeds
http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/Zoopy_Juice/7...

Nothing has changed in the house (wiring etc). had interleaving switched off near the start of this line aswell so I dont think that has any part of it, but again unsure.

I'm also having trouble with the LAN on the router, it seems to cut now and again, making streaming moves etc from computer to xbox impossible. this effects both xbox and pc at different points (xbox off computer can disconnect from LAN, computer off and disconnected from LAN xbox disconnects) this is not effecting the telephone line though it stays connected and synced.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by Zoopy (Fri 20-Apr-12 01:38:52)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 20-Apr-12 08:55:10
Print Post

Re: BT line slowing down over time?

[re: Zoopy] [link to this post]

The stepped drop is in line with the stats, suggesting that the target noise margin has rised a couple of times to the current 15dB target (that you probably have)

The reason this happens is the automatic systems detect a number of resyncs in a period of time. Keep an eye on your connection time figure. Errors also factor in, so with interleaving off you remove the error correction for these so it may mean the router resyncs more than you would otherwise want.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to