General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User kp52
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 09:28:22
Print Post

Anyone had BT support call being passed on to scammer firm?

[link to this post]

I had a call from a distraught friend yesterday. She had called the BT broadband support number for an internet connectivity problem, but said she was patched through to a firm that sounds remarkably like the cold callers you get now and then. The ones who lead you though your logs and tell you your PC is infested etc., want to get remote control of your machine and flog you free software. She coughed up over £50, and lost her rag three hours into the call when they wanted to sign her up for a £180 maintenance contact.

BT claim they never had a call from her, and of course their staff would never do such a thing. She's adamant she called the number on her BT bill. Her bank (Santander) say she has to try to recover the money from the company for 30 days before they could do anything, because it's a debit card payment.

Given the blunt rejection at the first step of complaining to BT, I advised her to contact Ofcom and write to BT to say she's doing so. Is that likely to have the slightest effect? What is the best course of action for her? Has anyone else experienced/heard of bent BT staff passing on calls to these scammers?

frown KP
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 26-Apr-12 09:35:26
Print Post

Re: Anyone had BT support call being passed on to scammer fi

[re: kp52] [link to this post]

Does her phone handset have a record of recent numbers called? If so, get her to write them down, not just read them. That will will either show she misdialled, or be useful as evidence if need be.

I wouldn't be surprised if she didn't transpose two digits, which is why writing it down is important. It is natural to read what you think is there, not what is actually there. You've probably noticed that yourself - it's what typos here are all about.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User Malwaremike
(member) Thu 26-Apr-12 10:00:25
Print Post

Sad story and misdialling is easily done especially if your friend is older (like me!) The scammers are up to all the tricks and may well have a number similar to BT's helper.

If she is a BT customer her bill lists all calls made and recent calls can be accessed online at BT-My Account.

If her call turns out to have been bogus then she needs to change/block her debit card. Once the crooks have her details it's certain they will again steal from her account.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 11:19:19
Print Post

The official BT number is
Call us24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
Please make sure you're at your computer when you call.
From a landline: 0800 111 4567

You are entitled to report this to the police, and I would suggest they do this.

If you want to private message me the phone number that she is convinced she called then send me it, and will give it a test call. Also it is possible the paper bill was actual part of the scam, i.e. fake and through ID theft it is possible that scammers have acquired some BT customer addresses and account numbers to make it more convincing.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Thu 26-Apr-12 11:26:35
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
..... it is possible that scammers have acquired some BT customer addresses and account numbers to make it more convincing.

That wouldn't be difficult given BT's propensity to farm out services to seemingly random and unknown companies.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 12:17:03
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

Hence why reporting to Police will be useful, as there may be a pattern.

Ofcom is likely to do very little, unless the number was in the UK, but VoIP means you can have a UK looking number, but be located in some evil volcano lair

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User creakycopperline
(regular) Thu 26-Apr-12 13:46:50
Print Post

We had them call us up last week trying to scam my father, the only problem with it was the video card was on the way out, after he connected to them the thing refused to boot at all, the good thing was as the card was on the fritz, it gave me time to get home, after he left for work. i decided to have some fun, kept hanging up. when his supervisor called back i told them they were a scam, and hung up, he never called back.
They won't be getting much as the pc had been formatted the night before.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:16:27
Print Post

Safest to call 150 and navigate to BT BB technical help. Then you can't go wrong!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User kp52
(newbie) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:48:44
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Safest to call 150 ...

Ha ha! She spent 1.5 hrs talking to BT yesterday. They called her a liar.

Further details I've learnt today:
- Yes, she called the real BT on 0800 111 4567. It now turns out that she was called back by the outfit from onlinepcwizards.com shortly after putting the phone down, claiming to be working on BT's behalf.

- I advised her to disconnect the machine yesterday, and now have the PC with me, to remove whatever remote control software it was they installed. Today they called her back to chase up the unfinished business. She told them she didn't want their stuff, that BT would be investigating them, and so would her bank if the money already paid was not returned within 30 days. When she asked (today) where they got her number from, they said it was "random". Extraordinary cocincidence, innit?

Her daughter has some experience dealing with a BT cockup on her own account, and is helping her to follow up that line of action. Seems pretty obvious to me that BT have failed in their duty of care, quite apart from blatantly denying the fact that the trouble started with a call to them.

KP
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 26-Apr-12 15:59:16
Print Post

Proving the link is the difficult thing.
There are enough people who have had genuinely random ones.

There is an inference that maybe someone in a BT call centre is passing on the details of customers. The call my mother had was claiming to be from Microsoft, these people will claim whatever they can, and they aren't going to be truthful if you confront them.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to