General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User teddy4paws
(newbie) Mon 30-Apr-12 20:16:18
Print Post

Bye, bye O2 Home Broadband

[link to this post]

I had O2 Home Broadband for four years. It was the top package, with unlimited bandwidth, no traffic shaping and a static IP address. Cost per month: £26.50. I had two such accounts at separate addresses.

Recently, following some updates to the O2 system, I was unable to access my VPN. In the course of trying to fix this the girl at O2 removed my static IP address. So all my networked stuff stopped working. But when I first called to complain the guy I spoke to told me that I had not had a static IP address since 2009. When I told him that was rubbish because I’d had been using my time-honoured static IP address earlier that evening he admitted that his colleague had removed it in error the previous night. I asked if I could have my original static IP address back. But O2 said ‘no’. That was impossible. They could give me a new static IP address, but it would be different from the one I’d been using since 2008 – the one that’s programmed into all my kit and my web pages.

Bum!

This was the latest in a series of issues I’ve had with O2 over the past couple of years that have all caused great inconvenience. So I’ve had to give them the heave-ho. I especially don’t regret doing this because tonight I got a call on my mobile from a guy in O2 Tech Support to tell me that they have finally ‘fixed’ the fault that was preventing me from accessing my VPN ‘over a whole week’ ago. This standard of tech support I can do without.

To be fair though, normally the O2 service has worked well most of the time. But if there’s been a problem that the ‘first line’ staff couldn’t fix, it had to go up to ‘second line’, and that meant connecting the O2 wireless box, which I have never used because IMHO it’s not one of the best. Why they can’t test the line with another brand of router attached is beyond me. So do be aware that, while most ADSL routers will work okay with the O2 Home Broadband service – as I was promised from the outset – if there’s a fault then only the O2 Thomson router that they send you can be used for testing the line. This is significant if you’ve never used that router before and it is not programmed with all your settings. The O2 Thomson router also works on a different subnet from my normal router i.e., 192.168.1.254 as opposed to 192.168.0.1. Therefore you cannot program the two routers with the same settings. Furthermore if your router is hidden away, like under the stair cupboard, then changing routers, or even fiddling about with them, is a pain.

So I think the moral of this story is, when choosing a broadband provider, try to find one with first-rate tech support staff, and also one that does not require the use of an inferior router in order to thoroughly test its systems. Otherwise you will get very frustrated and may bring on some back trouble through crawling about under the stairs, or wherever your router happens to be hidden away in order to keep your house looking more like a home than an office.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 30-Apr-12 22:51:27
Print Post

Re: Bye, bye O2 Home Broadband

[re: teddy4paws] [link to this post]

Most frustrating frown. So who have you moved to?

I moved 14 months ago because I wanted FTTC when my cabinet was enabled. Mainly because of ongoing E-side problems which I expected FTTC to solve, which it does, and partly just for the hell of it. Before that I was on O2 Standard at about £5pm, given mobile phone discount and a retention deal.

Keeping in touch with the O2 forum here, it does seem to have gone downhill in more ways that one. Not looking good in the short to medium term.

Just a minor point for the future, it's usually easy enough to change the base IP subnet address of a router. But that's now a dead issue in your case.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Wed 02-May-12 10:34:31
Print Post

At least using an alternate router is not against their T&Cs unlike Sky.

If an ISP supplies a router/modem, it is not unreasonable to require that router/modem to be plugged in for testing purposes.

For a small fee BT could move your BT socket to a more accessible place.

Most tier 1 support staff are generally reading from a script and can't deviate from same.

It's a shame that O2/Be have had so many issues in a short period of time as it looks like they are going down hill rapidly.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User teddy4paws
(newbie) Sat 05-May-12 12:39:39
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by broadband66:
At least using an alternate router is not against their T&Cs unlike Sky.

If an ISP supplies a router/modem, it is not unreasonable to require that router/modem to be plugged in for testing purposes.

I disagree. Before ordering the O2 broadband service I asked specifically if it would work with any 'standard' ADSL router and was told, unequivocally, that it would. I also expressed my concerns about 'proprietary' methodologies and was firmly reassured. Hence I was cheesed off at having so often to plug in the Thomson router every time O2 had a fault that prevented my broadband from working properly.
For a small fee BT could move your BT socket to a more accessible place.

Perhaps. But I didn't want my socket moved.
Most tier 1 support staff are generally reading from a script and can't deviate from same.

I feel sure you are correct.
It's a shame that O2/Be have had so many issues in a short period of time as it looks like they are going down hill rapidly.

Could this be another example of a company trying to provide champagne service on beer money? Looks like it to me. But it wasn't all bad. Just towards the end. When working properly the O2 service worked well and the use of UK support staff 24/7 was a big bonus. But I would rather have paid more for more knowledgeable and capable support staff. A few years ago I was with a top-notch company I found on here. Wish I could remember their name. Quite dear at £35 per month. But first-class service and support.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Sat 05-May-12 12:47:20
Print Post

There is a reason why Ethernet and other premier services cost £200+ a month, the better levels of support and care that go into things like IP provision, and managed hardware etc.

At a guess the old company might have been AAISP http://www.aa.nu

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User kamelion
(experienced) Sat 05-May-12 22:43:55
Print Post

You could have volunteered to pay more per month then they could have sent 3 staff away on a course to learn to support your particular modem. Or you could pay the "beer money price" and be a good boy and plug the modem they give you for free in when you have a problem.

Your problems are of your own making

BeUnlimited
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 2,273 / 21,442
Standard User broadband66
(experienced) Mon 07-May-12 21:47:15
Print Post

It does work with any (preferably Broadcom, I believe) modem.

You may not want your socket moving but surely for your sake it would make access easier.

You pays your money and you makes your choice. Unlimited and cheapest isn't always the best as your story shows.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Moderator billford
(moderator) Mon 07-May-12 23:04:21
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Unlimited and cheapest isn't always the best as your story shows.
Simple rule: cheap, fast, reliable. Pick any two.

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQM
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User m0aur
(committed) Mon 14-May-12 11:06:05
Print Post

[re: billford] [link to this post]

This is cheap and fast, so meets the two out of three. It maybe all some low usage users need, pity about the tie-in, but the price is guaranteed for two years.
http://www.directsavetelecom.co.uk/broadband-deal.html

Support - http://img52.imageshack.us/img52/9499/supportne.jpg
Fora - Where everybody knows everything - Everyone else knows nothing!
  Print Thread

Jump to