General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-May-12 17:43:01
Print Post

Enta - SFI Con

[link to this post]

My line has always been prone to random resyncs and more recently, I have seen sync level on my line falling away, so earlier this year as it neared 5k - I called Enta support and spoke to a few guys there. having swapped out routers (both for another 2700HGV and then a "trusted" 585v6) and a couple of filters, Enta support noted that the sync on my line was still showing below Fault Tolerance Level and we agreed it needed looking at. We discussed the steps I had taken and the fact that for 4 weeks prior I had been running the router in the test socket without even a Phone connected to the line, and consensus was that there was no risk of a charge... you know where this is going... dont you?

Engineer came, connected his gizmo to the line and got the same sync as my router (2 wire 2700 HGV) and promptly left saying he was going to the cabinet. I never saw him again. Later in the day I spoke to Support @ Enta and they told me that the line would be back in training for a few days. I saw a rise in my sync but still had problems with slow browsing and streaming even on a mid 6k sync, so when in march I became aware that I could now get an LLU service, I migrated to the only ADSL2 service available here

Fast forward to today and my bank statement arrives and there is a payment for £114 to Enta seems they have lumped an SFI charge raised by BT onto me.

No fault attributable to me of my equipment was found and yet Enta feel able to pass this along, I suspect they didn't look at any detail of the job - just applied the charge to my account. You can bet I have challenged it. I also spoke to OFCOM our worse than useless regulator - for if they were any use they would have put some measure in place now to deter BT from doing this sort of thing. Maybe a penalty for each incorrectly levied charge of 50% of the amount charged, the payment to be split between the ISP and Customer. As ever they have "noted" the issue, for all they do they may as well be on the bonfire of quangos.

I have emailed Enta to dispute this. It seems to me to be a blatant con on the part of BT group, and I cant help wondering how many people less knowledgeable simply swallow the charge? It is time that BT were brought to heel about this abuse of their position. It also highlights the ludicrous separation that the end user has, if I have no relationship with them how can they charge me - especially where I have no apparent right to an automatic copy of the report for the alleged work for which I am being charged?

Only in the UK could a farce like this be allowed to operate.

Even now the line isnt "right" and I have had to have my SNR raised by my LLU provider to stop random re-syncs which have been a feature of this right back to the 512k service I had with Pipex through a Speedstream PCI adapter. 10 years of ADSL and there is STILL a problem, no it isn't a long line... just under 3k and none of my neighbours have the issue.

BT? [censored] Terrible ! Cant fix a fault but still charge where they shouldn't!

Any ISP that thinks that selling my click traffic is acceptable is MisinPHORMed
Vivaciti Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User Adam3k
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-May-12 18:00:47
Print Post

Re: Enta - SFI Con

[re: warweezil] [link to this post]

Who was your reseller mate ?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FirstGroupDynamics Bonded WBC 22.7Mbps Download & 2.2Mbps Upload. Transit provided by Level3
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-May-12 18:38:40
Print Post

While it may be an Openreach con, entanet and the reseller are meant to be the first defence.

The £114 was explicitly listed as an SFI charge?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Apprentice
(knowledge is power) Thu 10-May-12 18:38:43
Print Post

[re: Adam3k] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Adam3k:

Assuming the OP's sig is up to date it looks like it is Vivaciti. smile

Alastair

omadasafisho
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-May-12 18:51:42
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

Sig actually reflects where I am now.. with Vivaciti LLU

My Enta reseller was UKFSN - one of the reasons I migrated was that having raised a ticket about the issues nothing seemed to happen even after I added detail to the ticket over a couple of weeks and when I called Enta support regarding the apparent lack of progress I found Enta had no knowledge of the fault - for some reason no report had been forwarded from my reseller, I was looking to migrate within Enta because of that when I was tipped off by a member of this forum that LLU was available (but un-announced) on my exchange. I traded off peak un-meterered for ADSL2, at the same price point. Vivacitis FUP shouldnt affect me even before it was relaxed I have never hit 70 gig in a month

My Broadband Ping
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-May-12 19:10:25
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Well my reseller managed to sit on a fault report for weeks until I contacted Enta about it only to find that they knew nothing about it.

No written notice found its way to me least of all the notification of the variation of a DD. I only found out what the £114 was for when I called Enta and asked why they had taken this amount without my knowledge or consent.

Considering that I had done as much as I could before we booked a visit - and Enta support were kept very informed about that - I am very disappointed now that I know that the charge was raised that they didnt "fight my corner" for me, although not surprised after the way that Enta changed about the time WBC was sprung on us and Enta stopped participating in these very forums, that participation was a factor in my choice of ISP when I left Pipex in 2007.

The annoying thing is I still have some instability on the line as mentioned in my OP. Vivaciti have had to up my noise margin costing me some sync.

My Broadband Ping
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-May-12 19:26:40
Print Post

[re: Apprentice] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Apprentice:
In reply to a post by Adam3k:

Assuming the OP's sig is up to date it looks like it is Vivaciti. smile
Good point time to update my sig to reflect my experience with BT smile

VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Thu 10-May-12 19:46:53
Print Post

If this went through DirectDebit then raise it as unauthorised debit via the bank. Should be simplest way to resolve it, particularly if leaving.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User warweezil
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 10-May-12 20:07:01
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Matters are "in hand", the bank was the first call I made .

VIVACITI Surfwise LLU - Finally free of the BTw crawl, but not of BT's speculative invoicing (AKA SFI charges)
SWPM a BT Group investment "Not Spot"

My Broadband Ping
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 11-May-12 00:30:37
Print Post

In reply to a post by warweezil:
Fast forward to today and my bank statement arrives and there is a payment for £114 to Enta seems they have lumped an SFI charge raised by BT onto me.
As well as the obvious dispute over the charge, already discussed by others, you have to be notified at least 10 days (IIRC) in advance of any change to a regular direct debit charge, or any one-off one that this appears to be.

Most businesses issue a routine notification even when there isn't a change.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to