General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User steveputman
(newbie) Fri 11-May-12 22:50:12
Print Post

Virgin lies

[link to this post]

Like a lot of people, I fell for it. Virgin's much hyped "double your broadband speed" free of charge.
Unfortunately they increased our monthly charge for 30Mbps from £28.50 to £30.00 per month coinciding with this.
More unfortunately whilst Virgin have almost doubled my downstream speed, they have reduced the upstream speed from a fairly consistent 3Mbps to 2.8Mbps, rather than doubling it to 6Mbps.
I had thought that when Virgin, carrying Richard Branson's imagery, bought NTL, the deviousness would disappear. How wrong I was.
I would be interested to hear of other people's experience with the Virgin speed doubling process.
Standard User sww32
(newbie) Fri 11-May-12 23:48:20
Print Post

Re: Virgin lies

[re: steveputman] [link to this post]

Virgin did not buy NTL.

NTL dought Virgin mobile and rights to the name
Standard User ExVirginUser
(newbie) Sat 12-May-12 00:05:15
Print Post

Hi Steve
I too fell for the same "con". Hence this time I decided to ditch them after over 10 years, starting as a very satisfied Telewest customer. Those were the days ! First lets get a few misconceptions about this company out of the way. The lovely Mr Branson holds a small 10%ish interest in the company when he sold Virgin Mobile to NTL sometime in 2006. The Virgin name is leased to the corporation which has headquarters based in the USA and listed on the Nasdaq exchange New York. I my humble opinion, your typical US money grabbing corporate. There seems to be no shame in attempting to rip off your average loyal customer back here in the UK. Wise up by reading the wiki article on this company and do a bit of research into why their Broadband service doesn't work too well on a down stream cable tv network. The revamped logo should have included the stars and stripes ! It's your money of course but mine is going to a somewhat better use and that does not include Sky either.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User roughbeast
(newbie) Sat 12-May-12 09:10:50
Print Post

I await the speed doubling, due in my area from July, but I have noticed that the upgrade in particular areas doesn't happen all at once. eg Some people have been getting their upload increased first, whilst others get the up speed doubled first. Some get converted to 8 channels down before upgrade whilst others get upgraded before conversion to 8 channels down.

I suggest giving it a while before you come to conclusions and be aware that some speed testers give weird upload results as well as download measures.

Virgin Media: 100mb/10Mb , land line, mobiles x2, TV - VIP HD box + TIVO 1Tb box.
Standard User bilzin
(newbie) Sun 08-Jul-12 16:18:36
Print Post

I was promised a doubling of my 10 meg speed last year, and to date nothing has changed. I checked again today when this doubling was due to take place and was told.....'from July onwards' onwards till when I ask....next year maybe ?

ISP change time I think !
Standard User azzercam
(newbie) Sun 08-Jul-12 16:29:59
Print Post

[re: bilzin] [link to this post]

If you Read on the virgin media forums the doubling speed post clearly states that the upload speed will not be doubled at the same time as the download speed. It will however be doubled after all of your area has recieved the download upgrade.
Standard User DialectTelecom
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 15:26:37
Print Post

Re: Virgin lies *DELETED*

[re: azzercam] [link to this post]

Post deleted by MrSaffron
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 18-Jul-12 17:59:34
Print Post

Re: Virgin lies *DELETED*

[re: DialectTelecom] [link to this post]

While we do allow providers to post, we prefer them to actually help people.

Your first three posts have had almost identical wording, reading very like someone on a social media trawl, rather than a genuine interest in helping people both those who are customers, and others who maybe have no intention of being your customer.

There is a fine line between advertising and being allowed to remain on these forums.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to