General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User wc_boggs
(newbie) Mon 11-Jun-12 21:57:57
Print Post

Orange - IP Profile

[link to this post]

I've been using Orange Broadband for about 7 months now ( DGN1000 ), getting 6-8 mbps average until this last month where my speed dropped to a constant 1.95mbps no matter the time of day.
I raised the issue via email with Orange and was asked to call the technical helpline. I've changed filters, using the master socket and all the other stuff they asked but nothing has improved.
I've been running BT Speedtester everyday for a few weeks and although my sync speed is a heathly 8.13 I have noticed my IP profile apears to be stuck at 2mbps so I'll never be able to achieve faster than 2mbps if my understanding is correct. I've had the router on for two weeks hoping it might increase.
I've tried explaining this to the helpline in India many times as well as via email but I keep getting asked to do the same stupid things, filters, master socket etc and I'm getting really, really frustrated. I was promised a line fault check followed by a call back a week ago which never happened. Can anyone suggest the best way to resolve the issue as I'm getting nowhere. My threat to cancel my direct debit never got a reaction.

Netgear Stats.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 20.6 dB 11.5 dB
Noise Margin 12.9 dB 19.0 dB
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 11-Jun-12 22:15:37
Print Post

Re: Orange - IP Profile

[re: wc_boggs] [link to this post]

Sounds like your IP Profile is stuck. You need to Orange/BT to free it. Ask for the Fault Management Team.

What exchange you on?

Never ever cancel DD whilst in a contract. You;ll be inundated with debt collectors and threats of court action frown

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 11-Jun-12 22:44:16
Print Post

Agreeing with XRaySpeX, and adding that the results of your BT speed tests are available to your ISP's support so the problem and solution should be obvious to anyone except first-line script monkeys. Get it escalated, as he says.

Just one thought. When was the last time you disconnected and reconnected? If not since the trouble started, do a single switch-off of your router, leaving it off for at least 30 minutes. That may cause the IP Profile to reset, which is what you want support to do if it doesn't, but it could take a couple of days to take effect after you reconnect.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wc_boggs
(newbie) Tue 12-Jun-12 19:17:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks to both of you. I'll give them a call tonight and get it escalated. I'm normally a laid back chilled kinda bloke but the repeat questions and unwillingness to listen to my suggestions are really frustrating. I have disconected since but only for 30 seconds or so. I'll leave the router off tonight. I'm on the Edenbridge Exchange NDEDE. I regret leaving Tiscali ( talktalk ) as I was getting 14meg easy with no problems over the 6 years....my fault for trying to save a few quid!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jun-12 19:24:07
Print Post

Why aren't you on WBC ADSL2+, which is enabled at your exchange, on which you could get 19 Meg? And it has a more reactive IP Profile.

Is it cuz Orange had no LLU presence there prior to them getting into bed with BT?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jun-12 19:29:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Found out today it is Orange (prob only their Fault Mgt Team), not BTw, who can set individual users' NMs and IPPs remotely from their desks.

Standard User wc_boggs
(newbie) Tue 12-Jun-12 20:45:15
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Funny you should say that, I logged into my Orange member centre this afternoon and my estimated line speed is 17meg ( up to 20 meg )....if I upgrade to include mobile minutes for an addition £6 that is! They estimated 6-8 meg when I signed up 7 months ago, never had the option of 20 meg. I would probably pay the extra if I knew I would actually get that speed.

I called Orange this evening about my IP Profile...they had no idea what I was talking about and couldn't put me through to anyone else as they were all busy! Emailing is pointless as they just tell me to call the stupid helpline. Had to hold for 15 mins while they ran a line check and checked my notes to be told they are sending me out a replacement router which will make no difference whatsoever. grrrr!! Why won't they listen!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Jun-12 21:29:29
Print Post

Then you need to make a formal written complaint by letter to their Complaints Dept. (see their Contact Us). Then they take notice.

I needed go that far a year ago when I lost speed in the LLU to WBC transition.

However now when I had frequent discons over the Bank Hols, I raised it with the normal phone support who immediately raised a fault. Within 2 days I was contacted by their Fault Mgt Team (usually good English speaking women smile) who have fixed the issue, call me many times on progress and even unnecessarily commissioned 2 OR engs to test my line only to find it "passed with flying colours" & "never seen a better line" smile.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 13-Jun-12 10:27:04
Print Post

Hi, there is no extra charge for 20Meg WBC you have been put on 8 Meg Max when you should be on 20 Meg WBC. crazy

Contact Orange and tell them you should be on Orange Home Broadband 20 Meg WBC you have it at your exchange. Your router stats indicate you are on 8Meg Max.

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 8128 Kbps 448 Kbps
Line Attenuation 20.6 dB 11.5 dB
Noise Margin 12.9 dB 19.0 dB

You have 21CN WBC status at your exchange http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NDEDE

Orange WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Netgear DGN1000 ADSL2+ wireless N 150 Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 13-Jun-12 13:54:56
Print Post

What is the name of your Orange package? And how much you paying?

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 13-Jun-12 13:56:07)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to