General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User portthrottle
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 13:42:10
Print Post

IDNET fibre experience

[link to this post]

I would like to inform everyone on this forum, about my experience going from ASDL to fibre with IDNET.

On the 6th July, I placed my order with IDNET for fibre home plus, within a couple of hours they advise that my line can support fibre and set a date for the 13th July for the migration to be completed. I advised them I would not require a router as my current Linksys WAG320 could be converted to a router by enabling the one port Ethernet port to a WAN port. A couple of days later I received another email from IDNET saying that my migration date has been changed to the 17th July. The 17th arrived and BT Openreach engineer called me at 10am to say that he was going to make changes to the local cabinet (200m away from me) and he will be with me in 15mins. The engineer changed my master face plate to the new plate and ran a line test, he advise that the line was capable of 100mb download and 20 upload , but had synced at 40 Down and 15 up. I then proceeded to configure my router to make the connection, straight way the router refused to connect. I phoned IDNET to make sure I had the correct username and password.
Nick from IDNET advised this was correct and asked me to reset the router to its factory settings, this still did not work and I was puzzled as to why this would not connect as my BT modem had the DSL line on. I then assumed it was the router, so I brought the recommended router IDNET recommend.
I connected it by using the manual setup option, again the same thing happened, still puzzled I phoned IDNET again, I spoke to Sam who advised me that it was a netgear issue and that I should phone netgear, this really infuriated as IDNET are my provider and should help me and the router was brand new. I asked Sam to call BT Openreach and find out if they had completed their work. However, I never received a call back from her.
Four hours later I had made no progress with this issue, I called IDNET again and spoke to Nick who advised me that job is still in a open state and should be closed by 6pm (No internet for most of the working day frown ) 6pm came and went still no connection to the internet. At 11pm I tried again to connect with no luck, I decided to give up and try again tomorrow, I had left the router and modem on all night on the hope it may connect overnight. Woke up today, still no connection. Having taken the whole day for work yesterday, I assume the transition would be smooth but my experience has been eventful. Especially from IDNET who time after time are top of the list in terms customer service and reliability. I feel they have fail on both of these criteria, I shall be reconsidering my current ISP when my 12 months contract runs out as the price of fibre is high, for which I do not mind paying for, but when customer service is not there as it use to be. It does make the customer frustrated.
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Wed 18-Jul-12 15:08:32
Print Post

Re: IDNET fibre experience

[re: portthrottle] [link to this post]

I transferred to FTTC with them earlier this year. Like you, the OR man arrived and carried out all the necessary work at the cabinet and in house at the specified time/date. He then demonstrated that I had a serviceable FTTC connection (40/10) on his test meter. I assume that this was what you were shown? Everything then went quiet for a while whilst he spoke to HQ about a non-BT Infinity install. He then returned with his laptop which was showing the Work Order that he had been given. He pointed out that BT Infinity included set up - an install for an independent ISP did not. He then left.

I am in the fortunate position of owning a VDSL-capable modem/router so I discarded the OR-modem and carried out a simple VDSL re-configuration. It could be that you have got the configuration between modem and router wrong - easy to do, I have done it. Or, you might just be unlucky and have a u/s modem and or router. You could check the modem by connecting it straight to your PC - which for a short time should be safe. At least, you will know whether you have a working FTTC line.
Standard User lexden16
(regular) Wed 18-Jul-12 15:11:47
Print Post

This link might help if you are not sure how to connect the FTTC modem directly to a computer:

http://wiki.aa.org.uk/index.php/FTTC_Modem

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 18-Jul-12 22:49:23
Print Post

Have you got it set to PPPoE?

If either router has an Auto setup Wizard, try that. I had a heck of a problem setting a Buffalo manually. Auto works without fail. I normally abhor Wizards, but this was desperation mode. Like you!

It worked.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 23:31:53
Print Post

[re: lexden16] [link to this post]

Thanks Lexden16, If i had known about this I would not have brought a new router! its a shame IDNET did not ask me to run a direct connection from the BT modem to the PC. But it still doesnt work. I get an error 651 (modem has reported an error)

So i hope they will arrange another modem for me to test or phone BT openreach to advise them.
(newbie) Wed 18-Jul-12 23:36:48
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

RobertoS,

Yes I have set it to PPOE, i have tried two different routers, one being a linksys wag 320 and a netgear WNDR3700, both of them do not authenticate my user name and password via the BT modem, I have tried to connect the BT modem directly to my laptop via a WAN miniport connection and i get a Error 651 (the modem has reported an error) so it seems to be an issue with the modem.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 18-Jul-12 23:58:59
Print Post

Try a factory reset? It's a pusher on the back. Press till the lights start to fllash

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 19-Jul-12 00:08:19
Print Post

Are you running Windows Vista/7?

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Manchester Speedtest.net Host