General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User robertdelamare
(newbie) Tue 31-Jul-12 18:16:53
Print Post

Telefonica UK broadband customers continue to leave

[link to this post]

Your news item does not surprise me as an O2 customer for some 2 years now. I changed from Plusnet because O2 had an LLU presence on our local exchange and offered up to 20 mbps. whereas Plusnet and others were restricted to up to 8 at that time.

As we all know "up to" hides a lot of ifs and buts. However I am big boy now and used to disappointment. In fact 11 was the best they promised and that turned out to be 9. That is less than half the proclaimed 20.

However, in practise, as I can prove by the speed test logs on this site, my speeds are at times even less than 1mbps. Expecting at least 9, I should be able to watch the BBC iPlayer from time to time but no.

The final straw came on the opening day of the Olympic tennis, trying to watch Andy Murray with constant interruptions for buffering.

I rang for a MAC number and they offered me half price for 6 months but why pay even half price for 1/10th of the service.

If I offered you a meal in my restaurant, took your money up front and then took the plate away half way through, you could sue me. If I sold you a book and tore out half the pages, a car with no engine: all these things would be a crime. ISPs it seems are above the law. That needs to change.

Goodbye O2.
Standard User 5km
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jul-12 18:59:08
Print Post

Re: Telefonica UK broadband customers continue to leave

[re: robertdelamare] [link to this post]

Do you not have a TV?

There are 24HD channels on Sky, Virgin and Freesat. Not need to stream over the internet...

Many things have changed recently regarding speeds quoted when you sign up. And as you say O2 quoted 11Mbps as an estimate, which would have been the connection speed so 9Mbps throughput is about right.

For the price you pay the service is good. Yes I know we'd all come to expect better from O2 and things have gone down hill recently. Compared to many other providers O2 is still doing well on speeds.

O2 Broadband Premium LLU
Now on twitter @timmay2
Standard User Deadbeat
(knowledge is power) Tue 31-Jul-12 19:44:37
Print Post

Myself and many, many others find O2's LLU service to be excellent but most of us understand the limits of a copper line. What have you done to resolve this situation (If indeed it needs resolving)? Are you using a wired or wireless connection? Have you tried running from the test socket? What do your line stats tell you?
I would imagine that dwindling customer numbers has little to do with overall service levels and much more to do with the O2/Be's lack of FTTx provisioning.
Coming here and blurting out such uneducated bile without trying to resolve your problems won't get you anywhere and it's very likely that those problems will persist with any other ISP that uses the copper infrastructure.

Edited by Deadbeat (Tue 31-Jul-12 19:46:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Aug-12 08:59:05
Print Post

[re: Deadbeat] [link to this post]

I suggest you retract the 'bile' comment, people have wide and varying opinions. If you feel someones opinion is wrong then enter into a dialogue don't just use words to attack.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Wed 01-Aug-12 09:00:20
Print Post

If this was my line I would be first checking my ADSL stats to ensure that the line was not being pushed to hard and creating lots of errors, after that it is find out how other O2 customers on the same exchange are managing.

If their speeds are good when yours are bad, then suggests the O2 LLU kit is running fine, and more likely something odd with your line, hardware.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User IPexpress
(newbie) Wed 01-Aug-12 11:31:28
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

You need to see if yours is an isolated case or an area wide problem. If other O2 LLU customers in yourr area from the same exchange are experiencing problems then there might be a local noise issue. If you can prove it then O2 may investigate the problem, particularly if multiple customers complain about the same problems. Difficulty is in finding other local O2 LLU customers without having to knock door to door.

Failing the local noise problem then it would almost certainly be a local hardware issue, modem or router related.

David
IPexpress
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 01-Aug-12 20:45:50
Print Post

[re: IPexpress] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by IPexpress:
tongue
Given "MD at NSTUK Ltd, a Technical Training and Consultancy company" and "Technical Consultant ", I'm surprised to have to suggest you examine the headers of the posts in this thread, and also the distribution of Reply buttons.

I'm sure MrSaffron doesn't dispute the soundness of your post, but its relevance to himself seems somewhat doubtful.

(Although that sounds petty, it is far from the case. Please look at the third board configuration option at the bottom of the My Home page. You could easily be causing nuisance emails to people, and not alerting your target to the fact that there is something for them to read. Which could make your post pointless smile).

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 01-Aug-12 22:26:04
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Question is, are those his trousers on the washing line?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User robertdelamare
(newbie) Thu 02-Aug-12 17:01:33
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
If this was my line I would be first checking my ADSL stats to ensure that the line was not being pushed to hard and creating lots of errors, after that it is find out how other O2 customers on the same exchange are managing.

If their speeds are good when yours are bad, then suggests the O2 LLU kit is running fine, and more likely something odd with your line, hardware.

Thank you Mr Saffron and others for your helpful comments.

To clarify, although I am quoted as "newbie" on this forum I have been using the internet since 1994 when a V32 28k modem was all the rage. Configuring it to run on Windows 3.11 before P&P was an art. Looking back on the speed test results here I see my first was on 21st June 2007 with a USB modem from TalkTalk.

Since 1994 and a brief spell with Compuserv, I have been with a number of ISPs, Prestel, UKOnline included most of whom went out of business rather than me wanting to switch. I have been through all the line checks so many times. Unfortunately the current router from O2 does not give me the same access to SNR ratios and so forth that others did/do. The fact that I can get 9 Mbps sometimes (yesterday it was 9.588 at 18:18 in the early evening) indicates to me that there is not much wrong with the line apart from distance to the exchange and the usual constrains of copper.

My beef is that although 9 Mbps is achievable, the traffic throttling that O2 applies makes the service unusable when you most want to use it. Bile doesn't come into it.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Thu 02-Aug-12 18:17:03
Print Post

I doubt your line is being throttled by O2. It's more likely you have noise problems or a line fault. Have you ruled these out?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to