General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User soa2k10
(newbie) Tue 14-Aug-12 14:05:08
Print Post

Orange Broadband - 11 weeks of speed drops

[link to this post]

Hi everyone,

On the 3rd of June I noticed that my speeds would drop from 7mb (my IP profile, 8128 sync) down to 1.6MB. My upload speed would not change, neither would my ping while playing games. The router (a TP-Link) would not disconnect when this happens. I would continue to stay at 1.6MB download speeds until I re-synced my router (be it restarting or simply removing the telephone cable) at which point it would jump back up to 7MB for a few hours/days. It didn't happen at any particular time either, it could be 2am, 11am on a weekday or 3PM in the afternoon, it didn't matter.

Over the last 11 weeks, I've had 3 replacement microfilters, a replacement Livebox router, a replacement TP-Link router (4 routers tried in total each with the same problem), I've had 4 engineer visits (inc. replacement master socket and a replacement line and pair to the exchange (which boosted my speed but the drops were still present).

I'm currently at the end of my rope with Orange and filed a complaint last week to ISPA. A relations department manager from Orange contacted me (UK based) but nothing has changed. I've currently spent £65 on phone calls to orange over the last two months and to be honest, the connection is probably worse than when I first called. It was suggested that electric interference could be the culprit but both BT engineers were adamant that it would also effect my attenuation (which it doesn't) and the rest of the router stats (ping and upload, again, which remain constant).

Where do I go from here? Generally, the customer support is extremely rude and I'm left having to repeat myself over and over. If I dare miss a phone call then they close the case because it's listed as a speed issue, of which they assume is fine excuse on their end it shows I'm connected at 8128Kbs. Does anyone have any advice for me? Again, when my router drops in speed the attenuation and rest of the stats do not change, it's as if I'm being capped (download wise).

Thanks for your help!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Aug-12 14:36:28
Print Post

Re: Orange Broadband - 11 weeks of speed drops

[re: soa2k10] [link to this post]

Are the speeds you are quoting (7 Meg, 1.6 Meg) sync speeds or speedtests?

Post your router stats. What exchange?

You don't need to phone Orange on their 0844 #; you can call on 0870 376 8888 opts 1, 2, 1, 1, which is usually inclusive on many call plans.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User soa2k10
(newbie) Tue 14-Aug-12 14:51:24
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

These are download speeds using the BT Speedtester, usenet and Speedtest.net. My IP profile remains constant at 7MB (before the new line it was 6.5MB). My router sync speeds are never less than 7200kbs and never less than 8100kbs after the new line last week.

My attenuation is 35db and 12db for SNR margin (used to be 7db before the line change). Thes stats never change when the speed drops. Sync speed is 8128 down and 448 up. Exchange is:

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/NSDAV

Non-LLU.

Edit: I should also mention it's the same whether I'm connected via WiFi or Ethernet, iPhones, PC or two laptops. Same story. The BT engineer also noted on his work laptop the same situation.

Edited by soa2k10 (Tue 14-Aug-12 14:59:33)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-Aug-12 16:14:17
Print Post

It sounds like simple contention rather than a line issue. I am surprised that Orange are sending out engineers and that BT are not charging for no fault found.

I suspect you would see a fix to your problems if you changed ISP. Maybe you should agree with Orange that they can't fix it and therefore they should let you off of any contractual commitments you may have and allow you to move to an ISP that provides a decent service for a fair price.

PS - It could be exchange contention so it is possible that even changing ISPs wouldn't fix it but I think my money would be on it being an Orange issue.
Standard User soa2k10
(newbie) Tue 14-Aug-12 17:25:09
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

My money has been on Orange since the first phone call, but benefit of the doubt and all that.

Tonight I'm supposed to receive yet another call-back from a mystery department which nobody can tell me what they plan on doing. My money is on another engineer visit, personally.

The thing is, my broadband was perfect for the first 3 months. Everything points to Orange though, it really feels like they're capping my download speed, there's no other way to explain it.

BT Speedtest screenshot

Router stats screenshot
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Aug-12 18:34:32
Print Post

What does this checker say about your exchange?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 14-Aug-12 18:38:27
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Green since ages!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 14-Aug-12 18:39:37
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

D'oh!

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  Print Thread

Jump to