General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User NUTTER44444
(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 17:52:34
Print Post

ADSL24 starting to be a bit of a problem

[link to this post]

I have to link to a thread if that's OK?

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/otherisp/t/4142768-...

I am unsure what is beginning to go on here or who is at fault whether it be ADSL24 or their provider C and W but it's over 4 weeks now since I joined and I am no further on (and I really do fear that I am going to be stuck with reduced speeds which is only half a meg in reality which is not much but in a area where my speeds are very little that is significant to me) What should be a reasonable time scale for this to be resolved and is there anything I can do or do I have to wait? My patience is starting to get a bit thin but seems both are unwilling to help or budge? I getting confused
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:07:53
Print Post

Re: ADSL24 starting to be a bit of a problem

[re: NUTTER44444] [link to this post]

I think as James replied in the other thread, C&W will generally only offer 9db (or higher).

Only some exchanges have a 6db profile and they never appear to want to set this even if the line has had it but then changed to a higher one at a later date.

C&W are very stubborn on this so I suspect tweaking the SNR at your end with a compatible router will be your best bet.

Matt

uno Broadband
t: 0808 221 8642
Official Maidenhead, Milton Keynes & Sheffield Speedtest.net Host

Edited by uno (Tue 21-Aug-12 18:08:24)

Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:26:12
Print Post

Why two threads?

Plenty of helpful suggestions in the other threat. Get a DG834GT, slap DGTeam firmware on it and set a custom SNR target.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:35:03
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

Please don't jump on me. I making a thread here cause I am getting increasingly unhappy. Another router is not an affordable option for me. Thought I might get more help here too as I really am despearate to consider a next move
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:35:55
Print Post

I'm not jumping on you, just explaining that ADSL24 are unlikely going to be able to do anything and the reason why frown

Matt

uno Broadband
(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:42:04
Print Post

[re: uno] [link to this post]

I know your not uno. Just the other person that asked about the other thread. Really have no idea what I can do. I can post the ticket so far which is ongoing (with some edits)
Standard User uno
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 21-Aug-12 18:44:20
Print Post

I'd probably guess posting the ticket isn't going to help things...

We've had to fight the same battle with C&W much like ADSL24 and as James says, they'd rather loose the connection than make the change, where possible.

I'd essentially think there are only three possible options..

- Live with the loss
- Obtain a router where you can change the SNR
- Change product, or to a different ISP on a different service

Matt

uno Broadband
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 21-Aug-12 19:13:58
Print Post

What was the reason for moving to this service from where you were before?

Are you on a 12-month contract, and might ADSL24 release you if so?

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk
My domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost. Internet connection - Plusnet Value Fibre FTTC 80/20 trial.

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Tue 21-Aug-12 19:15:50)

Standard User ukfsn
(knowledge is power) Tue 21-Aug-12 19:15:52
Print Post

Do not get a DG834 if you are going to stay on the C&W service. C&W equipment in the exchange performs poorly with the DG834 and C&W will simply say that the router doesn't work well with their kit and they wont care.

Your low connection speed both before and after the switch indicates that your line should never have been moved to an ADSL2+ service - generally speaking connections slower than 3.5Mb/s will not benefit from ADSL2+ and some will see reduced speeds as you have. As others have indicated C&W's insistence upon a 9dB profile means your speeds will be even lower.

The solution to this is to get away from C&W. Ask ADSL24 if they can offer you any other LLU network. Usually, but not always, the O2/BE LLU network is available where C&W is and that provides a lot more direct control.

UK Free Software Network
http://www.ukfsn.org/
ADSL Broadband, Hosting, Domains, SSL and more
(committed) Tue 21-Aug-12 19:21:39
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Expense Robert. I was with BT and was just proving too pricey for me (and BT was regulary messing up my billing) I was thankful that they granted me a release from my contract when I did ask and also I am tied in to a 12 month contract as it would have cost me a fee to join (although I should have never picked the C and W package now if I had known it was going to cost me this much hassle) I ask about the LLU thing and see what can be done maybe unless the 12 month thing might make it awkward?
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to