General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User steveputman
(newbie) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:37:28
Print Post

Virgin hype and lies

[link to this post]

In April/May 2012 Virgin shouted from the rooftops about their free doubling in broadband speed, using Usain Bolt in their adverts. What they actually did was double the downstream speed but reduced the upstream speed from 3Mbps to 2.8Mbps which disenhancement remains. I have written 3 letters & emails without any response and rang a couple of times but the conversations were, as usual with Virgin, a complete waste of time. I even visited the local Virgin shop and spoke to someone like Bolt but who was definitely not lightning fast - more akin to sludge than lightning, who gave me a load of nonsense, making it abundantly clear that he didn't know what he was talking about, so I just walked away in disgust.
Once we get genuinely fast broadband speeds from the competition, I will be moving away from Virgin, lightning bolt fast! Their monthly ISP rating from me reflects this.
Has anyone else got the same issue?
Standard User techguy
(committed) Fri 28-Sep-12 11:48:25
Print Post

Re: Virgin hype and lies

[re: steveputman] [link to this post]

I suspect (but do not know and I don't work for them or any other ISP for that matter) that the reason for the decrease in speed was to discourage P2P use as like it or not this does put a strain on a network because people will, quite naturally set their clients up to send and receive at the maximum speed and you can only go on adding capacity for so long as the more you add, the more people will use.

Virgin also provides a lot of backhaul for mobile operators now which I believe shares the same network so they have to balance of both.

Unfortunately those who suffer are the ones who need the upstream for legitimate reasons, whether it be working from home, uploading some family photos or whatever.

Its not the people that use it in short bursts that cause the issue, it is those who load the connection 24/7.

Virgin (ADSL) => Namesco => Newnet => O2 => Plusnet => Zen => Newnet => Zen Lite 8000
Note: I don't lay turf for anyone. astro or otherwise, all views and opinions expressed are my own based on experience.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Sep-12 12:33:52
Print Post

The speed doubling is happening in two waves, the download and the upload can be seperate.

I doubt they reduced the connection speed of upload on the cable modem, but rather you are just seeing throughput lower due to congestion as more people sign-up and do more stuff.

Virgin Media forums usually have a healthy debate on the upgrade timetables.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(newbie) Fri 28-Sep-12 14:05:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

I don't ever use P2P and have been keeping BB speed records on ThinkBroadband for a long time, so can demonstrate the immediate drop in the upstream speed from the very day that Virgin doubled the downstream speed. I would like any specific feedback/comments from other Virgin broadband users on whether they have the same issue, and a definitive answer from Virgin whom I believe have misled their customers. Does anyone know which regulator a complaint should be made to?
Standard User greenglide
(committed) Fri 28-Sep-12 15:24:25
Print Post

Presumably any complaints would be raised with OffCOM but I would have thought it was a waste of time.

No ISP gives guaranteed results from speedtest sites as the bandwidth availble to such sites is not always under their control.

I believe I have read several posts complaining about the accuracy of the TBB speed test on VM connections.

On what basis are you planning on complaining? "TBB speed test does not give as fast readings as it used to"? I dont think that will get very far.

I the VM link to TBB is congested you will get slower reported speeds.

On my BT Infinity 2 connection the TBB speed test only reports around 30Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up when connected at full speed 80/20 but other speed tests report much healthier speeds. I realise the limitations and accept them!

BT Infinity 2 - IP profile 77 / 20 - super fast!
Previously BE Unlimited - 21,000 Download 1,200 Upload but then moved house - 6,500 Down, 1Mb/s up - gutted!
Ex <n>ildram , been to SKY MAX - 15,225 Download
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Sep-12 16:00:30
Print Post

[re: greenglide] [link to this post]

Actually Virgin Media is fully in control of their bandwidth to us, and it has been mentioned to them.

3 Mbps old speed versus 2.8 Mbps now, hardly a major difference, and well above the average UK upstream speed, a 7% drop is unlikely to get the regulator worried. Sounds harsh to say but is true.

The issue with Infinity 2 is our custom protocol and the single threaded nature, changes to illustrate this are under way, i.e. make it clear who plays with the non-http traffic and where multiple threads actually benefit users.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Fri 28-Sep-12 21:06:28
Print Post

Virgin gave the impression they would be doubling the broadband speed but in fact reduced the upstream speed. The difference between 30Mbps and 60Mbps downstream is imperceptable which makes me certain that I won't be paying any more for faster broadband, but doubling the upstream speed would be noticeable and useful when sending photos or videos etc.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 28-Sep-12 22:54:35
Print Post

If the difference between 30 and 60 Mbps is imperceptible then the difference of 0.2 Mbps on the upstream would be also. At least that would be the likely decision if it went to arbitration.

The plan is still to double the upstream, but anyone who understands the cable topology will know this is not as easy as it sounds, hence they are taking their time to get it. Communication could have been better.

If you want to challenge it next time you see an advert for the speed doubling programme challenge it via ASA

(newbie) Sat 29-Sep-12 09:29:10
Print Post

Thanks for the good advice. I have had a reply from my circular email to all my Virgin/NTL BB user friends, which demonstrates that he has an upstream speed of approximately 10% of the downstream speed following the "doubling" process. He lives in another part of the same town as I, so it looks like Virgin have messed up on my local cable connection but have ignored my requests to rectify this. Virgin are extremely good at ignoring their customers, other than payment collection of course, hence their poor ratings.
Standard User Bob_s2
(member) Sat 29-Sep-12 10:04:48
Print Post

If you cannot notice the difference betwween 30Mbs & 60Mbs ie a 100% increase you are certainly not going to notice the difference between 3Bbs & 2.8MBS a difference of less than 7%. No ISP gurantees the rate and Virgin delivers a lot closer to the published figures than BT and with less variation.

If you are seriously noticing the difference you must be making very intensive use of Upload which is propbably against the terms of the contract as it is sold as a residential package. What VM may suggest is that you move to a more expensive business package
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to