General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Schesse
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 12:42:35
Print Post

Plusnet are Rubbish

[link to this post]

We switched to Plusnet - that was a mistake. There was a major fault with the exchange and it took Plusnet OVER A MONTH to sort it, blaming BT all the way. Sure we understand not everyone has a fault like this... but our problem was how they handled it. 6 weeks of being fobbed off, arranging engineer visit after engineer visit, being told different things, saying they're doing everything they can. I'm SORRY but if a new customer is left without internet for over a month - you're NOT doing everything you can!
Once we'd had enough of waiting and cancelled they wouldn't refund any of the advanced payment and spouted [censored] like 'broadband service isn't guaranteed'.
If you sign up and have ANY issues getting connected - GET OUT while you can, before they charge you £126 to be free of the stress and frustration.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Nov-12 13:53:07
Print Post

Re: Plusnet are Rubbish

[re: Schesse] [link to this post]

?
There was a major fault with the exchange and it took Plusnet OVER A MONTH to sort it, blaming BT all the way.
Only Openreach and BT Wholesale have any direct control over the exchange. No ISP, except Sky and TalkTalk has any equipment there.

If you think Openreach and BT Wholesale are going to, or even can, do anything special for one user when there is a "major fault" you must have lived a very protected life.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User flippery
(member) Thu 08-Nov-12 14:39:41
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
?
There was a major fault with the exchange and it took Plusnet OVER A MONTH to sort it, blaming BT all the way.
Only Openreach and BT Wholesale have any direct control over the exchange. No ISP, except Sky and TalkTalk has any equipment there.

If you think Openreach and BT Wholesale are going to, or even can, do anything special for one user when there is a "major fault" you must have lived a very protected life.

Before making a global statement. it would be interesting to know the exchange and whether everyone was affected.
If everyone was affected I cannot see how the exchange would be unavailable for over a month.
if it was an individual case then there is no excuse for the delay.
Plusnet appear not to be flavour of month.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 08-Nov-12 15:15:20
Print Post

6 weeks of being fobbed off, arranging engineer visit after engineer visit,

If we're arranging engineer visits then normally we've identified that the fault is outside or our network and is either at the exchange or customer premises. At this point we have to arrange an engineer to go and fix the problem, as you've seen this isn't always successful on the first attempt.

Once we'd had enough of waiting and cancelled they wouldn't refund any of the advanced payment and spouted [censored] like 'broadband service isn't guaranteed'.

Once a fault is resolved we tend to look at the downtime and refund customers for the downtime. Unfortunately you chose to leave before we could resolve the problem.

Sorry to hear of your issues, but once the fault is with an engineer we have to rely on their expertise to fix the issue.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Thu 08-Nov-12 15:16:08
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
Plusnet appear not to be flavour of month.

That's quite a sweeping statement, I'm not aware of any increase in threads showing unhappiness at us in here?

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 08-Nov-12 17:04:49
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by flippery:
Before making a global statement ....
I think perhaps you intended, or should have meant, that as a reply to the OP.

His "major fault at the exchange" is clearly highly unlikely, which is why I highlighted it in my reply to him. Thus giving him the opportunity to backtrack on it.

The opening post is basically an (understandable but not totally logical) rant.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Thu 08-Nov-12 18:05:11
Print Post

Broadband isn't guaranteed unless you have an SLA.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User GrumpyOne
(member) Thu 08-Nov-12 18:12:25
Print Post

In reply to a post by Schesse:
We switched to Plusnet - that was a mistake. There was a major fault with the exchange and it took Plusnet OVER A MONTH to sort it, blaming BT all the way. Sure we understand not everyone has a fault like this... but our problem was how they handled it. 6 weeks of being fobbed off, arranging engineer visit after engineer visit, being told different things, saying they're doing everything they can. I'm SORRY but if a new customer is left without internet for over a month - you're NOT doing everything you can!
If you sign up and have ANY issues getting connected - GET OUT while you can, before they charge you £126 to be free of the stress and frustration.
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

I find your story quite disturbing because back in September, I moved to Plusnet from O2. BTOR screwed up and I was without broadband for a week but Plusnet moved heaven and earth to get the problem resolved.

I had not been long out of hospital, could barely speak but the Customer Service people were so kind and understanding, they did everything possible to get me reconnected and bear in mind, all I had paid so far was the initial charges.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Thu 08-Nov-12 18:23:19
Print Post

[re: GrumpyOne] [link to this post]

You are not the first to encounter a major cock-up on switching to PN. In my case I was hooked to another persons line. That's a OpenReach cock-up said PN - No it's not said BT, it was bad order instructions from PN. Bit like tennis!

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://www.pingtest.net/result/68380009.png
Standard User tazdev666
(newbie) Thu 08-Nov-12 19:42:05
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

I also experienced problems with my changeover from BT to PlusNet earlier this year, supposedly down to cock-ups by BTW or Openreach.

From my original BB & phone changeover date of 31st January, it took nearly 4 weeks before BB was transferred and working, only to have it ceased in April & reinstated about 2 weeks later, as the connection was "re-graded" !! My service has been fine since May with similar speeds to BT.
I never did manage to work out who to blame, so assume these admin errors will continue.
It took BT (Retail?) until late July to confirm I was no longer a customer & issued my overpayment refund.... which they miscalculated ..... 3 times.

Phone line changeover experience = 10/10
Broadband changeover experience = 0/10
Broadband performance = 9/10 (same as BT)

I have no issues with PlusNet, but think the whole changeover process can be a nightmare.
  Print Thread

Jump to