General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User glenalfa
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-12 13:14:13
Print Post

Tesco disconnected me

[link to this post]

Given switch-over date of 25th October for change from Tesco broadband and phone to Plusnet. Plusnet state they could find no line on the date. No adequate explanation from either provider by phone, and awaiting response to formal written complaints.
Suspect Tesco disconnected line before switch-over.
Result: 3 months without telephone line as next engineer appointment to reconnect is 23rd January 2013!
Ombudsmen wait 8 weeks from initial complaint before investigating, appears to be no redress.
Stuck with 3G dongle in attic and mobile phones meantime,as no neighbour in range and no local wi-fi hotspots!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 14:06:21
Print Post

Re: Tesco disconnected me

[re: glenalfa] [link to this post]

Was this a proper WLR line transfer with Notification of Transfer process and also a MAC issued and used?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User glenalfa
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-12 14:21:55
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes, I believe so, though of course you don't see the MAC code yourself, as you simply get a series of emails and texts detailing the progress of your order.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Tue 20-Nov-12 15:20:28
Print Post

When you want to migrate/change to another internet service providor, you have to ask Tesco for your mac code, and they then give it to you within 5 working days. you must then give your mac code to Plusnet yourself.

If you have not given your mac code to Plusnet yourself or if Tesco are LLU (LLU = not BT's telephone equipement), then the only other way to get Tesco off your line is to place a cease/cancellation on your line which seems to of happened.

Edit
Thinking about it, if you were on Tesco's Cable and Wireless LLU for phone and broadband, then that would be the reason why Plusnet wouldn't of found your line. To migrate to Plusnet, you must have a BT telephone line.

Have you been paying BT for telephone line rental ?

Edited by wanapoo (Tue 20-Nov-12 15:36:57)

Standard User glenalfa
(newbie) Tue 20-Nov-12 16:21:53
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

I've had a "BT" line for years, without the BT rental. Rental and broadband have been paid to Demon, Homecall (& its predecessor), Sky, Plusnet, and Tesco in turn, and each migration has been completed without problems, with delays of about a week years ago, to only 6 hours on the last switch. I've even managed to retain my telephone number, despite it originally being attributed to a cable network.
All you have to do now is apply to the new company and they handle everything, from obtaining MAC code etc, keeping you informed by text and email. You do not have to do anything more.
This is the first disaster I've experienced in switching, and there seems nothing I can do to shortcircuit the delay in obtaining an engineers visit (to first visit the house, then a 2 minute job at the exchange).
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 20-Nov-12 16:44:12
Print Post

I think Tesco was the first time you have gone "Full LLU", as that is the only way a MAC is not needed.

I assume your Plusnet order was a Return to Donor of the line, bundled with Plusnet broadband. As others have said, if you told Tesco you were cancelling or ceasing your contract with them, on such-and-such a date, then that's what happened first, and the line was no longer available to "Return".

I'm afraid:-
All you have to do now is apply to the new company and they handle everything, from obtaining MAC code etc, keeping you informed by text and email. You do not have to do anything more.
is simply incorrect. As you have unfortunately just found out.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.5/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 16:57:47
Print Post

Sounds very like you have been put onto full LLU via Tesco

The MAC goes via the consumer, the migrations where you just get new provider to move you are only possible for those already on full LLU.

Even then it should not have resulted in this amount of downtime, it is possible that Plusnet may have issued a slightly wrong order making things more difficult. The ideal process would have been a http://www.thinkbroadband.com/guide/migration.html#s...

Seems you are going the route of a PSTN provide, followed by a broadband provide. Less than ideal.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 20-Nov-12 16:58:57
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Ideal world the gaining provider is meant to ask questions and ascertain the best migration process.

Suspect a mixture of confusion at various stages has lead to the current problem.

Standard User glenalfa
(newbie) Sat 24-Nov-12 08:10:09
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

No reply from Tesco yet.
However, surprise, BT were able to offer an earlier cancellation date, as the agent said, they have direct access to the engineers. Using this as leverage, and knowing BT retail are not supposed to have any priority, I was able (at the cancellation phase, NOT at the sales team end) to obtain an earlier date from mt preferred provider. BT then offered a reduced price to keep my custom, but could not match my preferred provider.
Moral: The waiting list can be shortcircuited, and prices aren't fixed! Hope to be back on line in 2 weeks.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Sat 24-Nov-12 08:18:58
Print Post

In reply to a post by glenalfa:
Moral: The waiting list can be shortcircuited
Hmm, wonder if anyone told Openreach this.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
  Print Thread

Jump to