General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User dosfbb
(newbie) Thu 27-Dec-12 21:10:24
Print Post

Poor Performance from Orange

[link to this post]

Hello everyone,

I have posted here before, and just recently put an update up, but was advised that it might be best to start a new thread.

Link to old thread.
http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/general/f/4085283-o...

This is what the sam knows website has to say about my exchange server
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WNWX

These are my stats. I am now at the end of my contract with Orange, i had other pressing issues that took up my time this year. I am now wondering whether its worth pursuing orange or just moving on to a better ISP.
Anyway, here are my stats
3070 1095 kbps
LA 23db 7db
NM 17db(fluctuates 14-19db) 7db

I have changed the face plate to an I-plate, from this there is a single noise filter, the router is plugged into this and so is the cordless phone.
I have a splitter plate on order to see if that makes any difference.

My contract plan was up to 20meg. I think i should be getting higher speeds than i currently am, my GF's father is getting the following stats from his orange line.
16283kbps 1136kbps
LA 27.9 15.4
NR 4.2 5.7

Any advice or tips of what i am missing. As stated in a previous thread i was with AOL, nothing has changed but the ISP which is now a poorer service.
If anyone agrees that it is just a bad ISP could anyone recommend a good service? I think FTTC is coming to my exchange soon, any advice on that?
Sorry for the vagueness i am a complete noob at broadband.

My Broadband Speed Test
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 27-Dec-12 22:57:13
Print Post

Re: Poor Performance from Orange

[re: dosfbb] [link to this post]

You should be getting about 19 Meg.

There are reports of Orange unnecessarily capping lines. Ask them to lower the NM; it should be more like your friend's.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 27-Dec-12 23:27:35
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Ouch!

I'm afraid the OP misunderstood me when I suggested a new thread. I meant either in General Chatter or Which ISP, wrt choosing a new ISP. If we discuss sorting out the problem here, we in effect have complex cross-posting. That part of it needs to continue in the old thread not here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Thu 27-Dec-12 23:31:34
Print Post

[re: dosfbb] [link to this post]

Sorry dosfbb, I seem to have confused you. See my reply to XRaySpeX just now.

It might even be better for you to delete your opening post here and do what say in that reply. Otherwise you and everyone could get flummoxed.

The issues with your line can happily continue in the first thread. My reason for suggesting a new one was to separate completely the two issues of Orange support and loking for possible new ISPs.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 13:33:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ouch!

I'm afraid the OP misunderstood me when I suggested a new thread. I meant either in General Chatter or Which ISP, wrt choosing a new ISP. If we discuss sorting out the problem here, we in effect have complex cross-posting. That part of it needs to continue in the old thread not here.
The OP is doing nothing wrong posting in ISP Unhappiness forum, being unhappy with the ISP. wink

To the OP.
Orange is a great ISP to be with if you are prepared to look after yourself and thinkbroadband is just the place to help you do that.
What are your router stats?

My Orange Bright Box router stats…

ADSL Status
This page shows information about your ADSL connection if applicable.
Status
Configured Current
Line Status --- SHOWTIME
Link Type --- Fast Path
Operation Mode G992.5(ADSL2+) G992.5(ADSL2+)
Data Rate Information
Stream Type Actual Data Rate
Upstream 1263 (Kbps.)
Downstream 9727 (Kbps.)
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin ...... 5.4 dB 11.6 dB
Line Attenuation 15.6 dB 29.0 dB

Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 12.6 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction 0 0
Interleaved Path FEC Correction NA NA
Fast Path CRC Error 76 11
Interleaved Path CRC Error NA NA
Loss of Signal Defect 0 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR 399 4
Interleaved Path HEC Error NA NA
Error Seconds 71 11
Statistics
Received Cells 6168625
Transmitted Cells 568733

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Fri 28-Dec-12 13:47:29)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Dec-12 13:48:10
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

You're also a victim of downstream capping. You could be getting 16 Meg

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Fri 28-Dec-12 13:49:32)

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Fri 28-Dec-12 14:16:48
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

The Noise margin is high due to me switching the router off overnight and in the daytime when out for long periods. I also need to work on the connection when I get around to it. Outside it runs around a bay window and porch. 9 Mbps Down and 1 Mbps Up suits me for now. wink

My Broadband Speed Test
EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 11864 kbps Downstream, 1189 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 28-Dec-12 15:46:28
Print Post

In reply to a post by E7er:
In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Ouch!

The OP is doing nothing wrong posting in ISP Unhappiness forum, being unhappy with the ISP.
You obviously haven't understood what I just said frown.

There was nothing wrong with his original thread, nor with continuing there, wrt the performance. It was when he started asking for new ISP suggestions I felt he would be better starting a new thread just asking about that. As I explained above frown.

But 'tis all too late now for this thread, and no-one is even considering that question.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 28-Dec-12 16:06:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by E7er:
The Noise margin is high due to me switching the router off overnight and in the daytime when out for long periods.
Don't kid yourself!

Print Thread

Jump to