General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Bellows
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:22:03
Print Post

Virgin media latency problems, wont/cant fix

[link to this post]

ever since i purchased virgins so called 100Mb service I've had nothing but problems, then i found this site and the BQM, i have finally had major ammunition to fire at them, as of late the problems have gone bad to worse as in i no there is a problem, i see there is a problem, virgin half-wits tell me no there is not a problem, then there is no service or its erratic at best, phone them again and after doing some tests realize main cable to area at fault and a 7 day fix. major work to area to triple the capacity to lower/solve congestion problem does not seem to have worked, my BQM graph is just haywire most/all the time. speeds gone from brilliant to hit a high then drop down to half up and down, on complain about the speeds they say "UP TO" ,i reply even if i'm only getting half of what i'm paying for. the latency and packet loss of late is pathetic and making online gaming impossible, to top the main problems i have always complained about, virgin claim cant fix latency and any more calls of same problem i'll be charged, i have saved the message on my phone answer machine. i'm at the point i want to complain to a higher body, any one other than a company more concerned about throwing speeds out and feck the quality anymore. who or where else can i complain to, all help well appreciated
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/298d62f5214...

Edited by Bellows (Sun 06-Jan-13 13:58:26)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:35:33
Print Post

Re: Virgin media latency problems, wont/cant fix

[re: Bellows] [link to this post]

CICAS. See this page, near the bottom - Dispute Resolution.

See also the relevant OfCom page, which has a link to CICAS.

Note you need to have had a formal dispute with VM, not just a series of useless fault reports and non-fixes. That dispute has to have got nowhere in eight weeks, or if less than that you need it in writing from VM that they don't want to help any more.

That message you have saved on your phone is the sort of thing you need, but probably not acceptable unless the recording also has you warning them that you are recording the call. (Certainly in a court of law it would be inadmissible).

Good luck.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet Extra Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.0/14.9Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 06-Jan-13 13:36:29)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:39:18
Print Post

It might be an idea to post a link to the Live Graph of your BQM, not the Snapshot one. It helps if we can see what is happening. You could edit it into your opening post at the bottom.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Bellows
(newbie) Sun 06-Jan-13 13:55:56
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

thanks for replies, the message on phone was from an engineer visit last week who after showing him the BQM started doing some higher tech support asking, the message was just a standard voice mail left on answer machine for the results he got.

Edited by Bellows (Sun 06-Jan-13 13:57:54)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 06-Jan-13 14:54:49
Print Post

That's OK then. Someone leaving a message on an answerphone knows they are doing.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Mon 07-Jan-13 12:12:27
Print Post

What is the problem?

The BQM I can see shows green is stable, and the blue which is average only rising for an hour or two. This is better than many Virgin Media BQM.

http://craigswebsites.co.uk/ping/ has lots of other ones.

The way cable broadband works means that there is inherently more jitter/ping variation than with DSL services.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Bellows
(newbie) Tue 08-Jan-13 14:34:57
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

keep an eye on my BQM you will see the problem
Standard User Zadeks
(experienced) Tue 08-Jan-13 16:00:23
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Huge amounts of jitter during peak hours.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 08-Jan-13 17:17:07
Print Post

[re: Zadeks] [link to this post]

Business as usual maybe

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4824-asa-points-o...

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4014-ofcom-finall...
"DSL services offer significantly better performance than cable services on jitter. However, this is unlikely to have a significant effect on the user experience for most internet applications, although for some online games jitter is a very important measure as the stability of connection can be paramount."

Ofcom Report

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User pcoventry76
(knowledge is power) Sun 03-Feb-13 12:22:09
Print Post

Your BQM is perfect to me. I'll swap ya!

When I use mine it's just a swirl of yellow and blue (with a bit of red)
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to