General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User shanghaid
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 11:15:59
Print Post

BT Home Hub 2.0 router "training"

[link to this post]

I recently moved house from Isleworth to Kew and decided to stick with BT as my ISP. Previous connection speed in Isleworth was very good (8M/0.7M), but current speed is shockingly poor. If there was a competition of poorest speeds, I might just win. As a BT Total Broadband customer, and using their online testing facility I get a Download speed of 0.13 Mbps, Upload 0.09 Mbps. The full content is listed below.

Admittedly, the connection was first made on Thursday 10th January. Having raised my concerns with BT yesterday, I was told that it can take up to 10 days for the router to be "trained" and that I could expect to have fluctuating speeds over this period of time. I'd like to know why exactly this is, and also have some reassurance that broadband speed is unrelated to the volume of the customer's complaint. What level of flexibility is there in the network, in that, can BT take part of customer A's bandwidth and direct ti to customer B?

Based on the evidence after 4 days use, is my broadband speed likely to increase to it's former glory, or is my snail's pace likely to increase to that of an arthritic tortoise? I really wish I'd checked out the other ISPs before I moved. It wasn't on my to-do-list when moving house! I guess I'll need to go into writing with BT asap so that I can get out of my contract if necessary, and look at alternative providers if things don't change substantially.

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
Download Speed
0.13 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.25 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.13 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.1 Mbps-0.25 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 0.25 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.
Upload Speed
0.09 Mbps

0 Mbps 0.83 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.09Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-Jan-13 11:19:31
Print Post

Re: BT Home Hub 2.0 router "training"

[re: shanghaid] [link to this post]

You should get your line stats from your router if possible, including Attenuation, SNR margin and Sync speed.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Jan-13 12:34:38
Print Post

As a first step plug the router into the test socket and report the stats.
As this is a new house for you it is possible that the internal wiring is messing things up

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User shanghaid
(newbie) Tue 15-Jan-13 18:10:28
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 1 day, 8:07:06
Downstream 283 Kbps
Upstream 440 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 13.1 dB / 16.6 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 39.5 dB / 19.0 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 11.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 0
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 1026 / 4294967253
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 0 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 0

I'm guessing FEC errors implies poor line quality. Your opinions are welcome.

kind regards
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 15-Jan-13 18:25:50
Print Post

Something is broke with those stats.

Normal speed range at 39.5dB attenuation is 8350 Kbps to 11600 Kbps is the speed you should expect based on
http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/calc/calculator.php

Do one power off and power on and grab the stats again, just to make sure these low figures were not a glitch. If the downstream and upstream speeds are similar then looks like for reasons unknown the BT Wholesale service has banded your line to a very low speed, and it needs BT Retail to tell BT Wholesale to reset and let the line retrain from scratch, or put another way remove the banding.

The massive UP FEC Errors is a bug in the Home Hub, and 1026 errors in 32 hours is nothing to worry about. The fact the modem has kept the signal for 32 hours (0 Loss of Signal) is a good sign.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Oldjim
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 15-Jan-13 18:27:54
Print Post

Is that in the test socket as something is horribly wrong
Also - if not in the test socket are you sure everything else attached to the phone line is filtered including Sky Box, monitored alarm etc.

Edit
Read Andrew's reply and I am not sure about banding given the low noise margin reported

Edited by Oldjim (Tue 15-Jan-13 18:29:10)

Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Tue 15-Jan-13 20:28:57
Print Post

Yes, you either have a dodgy router or a dodgy line (or both). The attenuation indicates that higher speeds are available if you can fix the problems.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________ this is not usenet __________________
Standard User shanghaid
(newbie) Fri 18-Jan-13 17:05:08
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Many thanks to all who responded on this one. I removed a Vodafone "sure signal" device and PS3 which are the only other items on my network. The PS3 is not used very often (Really!) but the Vodafone "sure signal" is on permanently due to their very weak network coverage in the area. (Next step is to switch to O2, but need to sort out my broadband first). Neither device was filtered so will take note going forward. I rebooted the router yesterday morning and now today's readings from the BT Home Hub 2.0 are as follows:-

ADSL line status
Connection information
Line state Connected
Connection time 1 day, 12:09:25
Downstream 4,384 Kbps
Upstream 440 Kbps
ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 4.3 dB / 4.0 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 39.5 dB / 18.9 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.9 dBm
Loss of Framing (Local) 0
Loss of Signal (Local) 20
Loss of Power (Local) 0
FEC Errors (Down/Up) 143572 / 4294967264
CRC Errors (Down/Up) 299 / N/A
HEC Errors (Down/Up) N/A / 0
Error Seconds (Local) 334

As you can see, a fairly significant change in speed. Many thanks for all your help!
Should I still be concerned regarding the number of FEC Errors? Does this point to a local connection issue? The connection hasn't been lost despite the number of errors.
Apparently the line from my flat to the kerb was broken, so BT utilized another "spare connection" on the day they came to get me online. That initial cable run is maybe one hundred meters. From the kerb to the exchange is about a mile and half. I have to assume there is no fibre in any part of the network given some of the other measured speeds in the near neighbourhood.

Once again, a big thank you to all who helped.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 19-Jan-13 01:18:47
Print Post

In reply to a post by shanghaid:
Downstream 4,384 Kbps
Upstream 440 Kbps
You're running at under 1/2 speed in both directions.

The up FEC is just a router bug; ignore it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
  Print Thread

Jump to