General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Jan-13 10:36:14
Print Post

Re: Virgin Media 30Mbps Norwich area

[re: Daniel_T] [link to this post]

yeah so giving you free broadband they kept your tv subs smile

they have no tv subs to keep of me.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Standard User wheres_my_beard
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 15:34:26
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

I've just checked my connection whilst at work (it's become a bit of an obsession :-[ ) and this doesn't look good...

[url]http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/560ac61e3b43b98585c31325639c6d62-24-01-2013.html

Oddly though I was playing CoD last night between 10-12pm during that massive red block, and my ping wasn't nearly as bad as at some other times (it was around 70-150ms, instead of being 200+)
Standard User Daniel_T
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 16:27:08
Print Post

[re: wheres_my_beard] [link to this post]

No that does not look good.
Get on to the Virgin media UK customer service team. Just bypass all the options and head for the "I am leaving you" section.
I have the Area Manager of Engineering calling me tomorrow directly to help out with my issue. It is nowhere near as bad as yours. If you like I will speak with him about your issue? What postcode area are you in Norwich. I am NR3....

Edited by Daniel_T (Thu 24-Jan-13 18:25:02)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 24-Jan-13 18:41:20
Print Post

ip not changed? the all red means tbb cant ping you.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - Estimate 65.9/20 - Attainable peak 110/36 - Current Sync 71/20
Moderator billford
(moderator) Thu 24-Jan-13 18:44:08
Print Post

[re: Chrysalis] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by Chrysalis:
the all red means tbb cant ping you.
Or that the round trip time is too long- I think Andrew mentioned once that it gives up at ~500ms.

It looks more like really severe congestion to me, which as it's a Virgin line...

Bill
bill@thinkbroadband.com __________________Planes and Boats and ... __________________BQMs: IPv4 IPv6
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband moderator but it does not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(newbie) Thu 24-Jan-13 22:29:39
Print Post

Turns out my IP has been changed since using the Superhub in modem mode; not sure why.

I have set up a new monitor, and the results havent changed though:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/4b5755d5f31...

I'm in the NR2 area, which according to the VM fault section is having a "good" service still, despite there own online tests not actually working, for me at least.

I am willing to wait until the alleged fix date, but will really be kicking off if this doesnt improve things dramatically.
Standard User David_W
(experienced) Thu 24-Jan-13 23:34:36
Print Post

In reply to a post by wheres_my_beard:
Turns out my IP has been changed since using the Superhub in modem mode; not sure why.

Changing from hub to modem mode changes the MAC address making DHCP requests to Virgin from the hub's router to the device connected to the modem port. As a result, you get a different IP address.

Standard User Daniel_T
(newbie) Fri 25-Jan-13 07:10:06
Print Post

Ok - itís was explained to me yesterday evening that there are issues with 2 downstream channels. They were not aware of the fault but they are now. They wonít be able to give a completion date for the fault for the next 2 weeks. Unfortunately I am not the most technical person in the world so I canít repeat all of what was said but they estimate 2 months to get it sorted. Could be sooner.

I see that in Modem mode it has not made much difference for you. Does the internet feel more responsive though?
Standard User Chrysalis
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Fri 25-Jan-13 16:00:01
Print Post

by the way my good service lasted a whole 2 days.

first just the utilisation appeared to be coming back, but then it turned into constant packet loss and outages as well. I dont know if whatever the fault is making it appear to be higher utilised (will the higher jitter go back down when the packet loss is fixed?) but now I am glad I didnt take their deal and the cancellation is probably going to go through.

(newbie) Fri 25-Jan-13 22:33:13
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Web browsing seems a little more responsive, but it still totally and absolutely sucks.

During the first couple of weeks of Superfast Broadband I was blown away with the snappy, almost instant loading of pages, where as now I have a pause when I click a link, it starts to load, then pauses, then some more loads, and then maybe the page fails or fully loads.

At times it feels like I've stepped back 10 years to dial up. [censored] dial up at that.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | [3] | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to