General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(regular) Tue 12-Feb-13 22:15:50
Print Post

Slow internet/noise margin questions on Tesco Broadband

[link to this post]

Old Thread

This is a continuation of my last thread in this topic, just as a summary below as to what has happened so far:

Sunday 27th January: A line fault that was causing high levels of noise and DSL dropouts is fixed by BT Openreach. I am left with a sync rate of 4960Kbps. But I am left on an IP Profile of 0.14Mbps and a target SNR margin of 15db with an SNRM of 15.4-15.6db giving a very slow internet connection indeed

Wednesday 30th January: My IP Profile rises to 4Mbps giving a usable internet connection

Saturday 2nd February: After advice from this forum I decide to leave the router alone without any reboots for 10-14 days to allow the Target SNR Margin to fall to wherever it should be

Tuesday 12th February (today): 10 days later, the DLM drops the Target SNR Margin to 12.4db, giving me a sync rate of 5792Kbps

Now, @XRaySpeX and @4M2 predicted that it will take a drop down to 6db to get me running at my lines full capacity, whereas it should only take a drop to 9db, they suggested that the cordless phone attached to my filter may be giving interference, or that it could be the DSL cable itself from the router to the test socket.

Then @XRaySpeX said this:

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
Yes, his dad rebooted it 12 hours earlier when it had a NM of about 15 dB

This is where I got kind of confused as to which bit of the thread he was talking about, so, @XRaySpeX which bit were you meaning and, are you agreeing that it could be the cordless phone causing additional noise?

Edited by matthewcl375 (Tue 12-Feb-13 22:34:05)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Feb-13 22:33:06
Print Post

Re: Slow internet/noise margin questions on Tesco Broadband

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Post you current router stats and we can take it from there. Forget the water under the bridge.
Due to the poor sync rate that we got due to my dad resetting the router at 7PM

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(regular) Tue 12-Feb-13 22:40:06
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Uptime: 0 days, 14:48:03

DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.1

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5.792

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/MB]: 1,99 / 46,49

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11,9 / 13,8

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 6,0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,0 / 12,3

System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----

Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / ALCB

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 9 / -

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 1 / -

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / -

Loss of Link (Remote): -

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 11 / -

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): - / 0 / 0

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 12-Feb-13 22:48:01
Print Post

Linky to a reboot by your Dad smile.

Re the cordless phone. Again a daylight job - and many copies of the stats. We need to see them all, but at this stage just the following lines will do. (To save post size).
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 5.184
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 6,0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 23,0 / 15,3
The sequence is:-

1) Take the stats, and copy them somewhere safe. (I find NotePad or WordPad ideal).

2) Unplug the phone base station from the filter.

3) Unplug the base station from the mains. (Unless the mains socket has a switch in which case just switch the socket off). It is important that the base unit power supply is completely inactive.

4) Take another set and keep those safe as well.

5) Turn the router off for 10 minutes.

6) Turn it back on and take the stats. Also keep.

7) Power up the phone base station but do not connect it to the phone line.

8) Take the stats.

9) Connect the phone to the line.

10) Take the stats.

11) Post all the stats.

With luck that will show up any issue with the phone, and also give the router and the modem/ settings at the exchange end a break. That can help.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
(regular) Tue 12-Feb-13 23:06:59
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Robert, that sounds like a good idea. Before you said its best to do a reboot when the SNR Margin (as shown on router stats) is at its highest, but in my case, it has not changed at all so far since the re-sync last night crazy When would be the best time for me to do this?
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Feb-13 23:07:40
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Now, @XRaySpeX and @4M2 predicted that it will take a drop down to 6db to get me running at my lines full capacity, whereas it should only take a drop to 9db, they suggested that the cordless phone attached to my filter may be giving interference, or that it could be the DSL cable itself from the router to the test socket.

I suggested that a 9dB SNRM could give you a 8128Kbps sync with a 6dB attenuation and I also thought that the cordless phone and/or ADSL cable might be causing issues. XRaySpeX didn't suggest those things and he may not agree with them smile
(regular) Tue 12-Feb-13 23:23:55
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

Sorry, yeah @4M2 that's right
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 12-Feb-13 23:30:07
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Now, @XRaySpeX and @4M2 predicted that it will take a drop down to 6db to get me running at my lines full capacity
Depends what you interpret as "full capacity". I predicted 6dB NM might only get you to 7 Meg.

As 4M2 pointed out, we never made the same predictions. We may not contradict each other but we are on orthogonal tracks.

I still say you should be getting full 8 Meg capacity now or even when your NM was 15 dB as you are on such a short leash.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 12-Feb-13 23:48:48
Print Post

During daylight smile.

The previous advice was to get the best possible speed at a re-sync. That still stands for normal use.

But what I am doing now is starting to do what MrSaffron suggested fairly early in the previous thread. That is, find out the cause of the under-performance of the line that was pointed out several times in that thread, and has re-surfaced now we have the DLM acting as desired and starting to lower the sync-time margin.

Note I only suggest a single disconnection/re-connection in the sequence. That isn't going to upset the applecart. There is only a single aim at this point - to eliminate anything to do with the DECT phone as an issue, or to bring out the fact that it is a problem.

Regarding the sync we get, if we end up with it as now, or higher, we leave things running as before, but may change the plan depending on what we find from the various stats requested.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.3/15.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Tue 12-Feb-13 23:52:39
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
As 4M2 pointed out, we never made the same predictions. We may not contradict each other but we are on orthogonal tracks.

So if you turn left or right I also have to turn left or right at the same moment laugh
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to