General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User matthewcl375
(member) Mon 18-Feb-13 15:44:14
Print Post

Reduced sync speeds on Tesco Broadband

[link to this post]

Link to previous posts Here

My problem is basically this: on the 27th January we had a line fault repaired which was causing the broadband to drop out and also causing hissing and crackling on the phone line. This was fixed by a new line from the pole to a new junction box just inside the front door.

After the incident I was put on a 15db Target Noise Margin, which was giving me a sync of between 4672 and 4960Kbps (with the one off 5184 that I got after a router reboot was done in the morning). After 10 days of leaving the router alone with a sync of 4672Kbps the Target Noise Margin dropped to 12db giving me my current sync of 5792Kbps.

So far I have left the router alone for nearly 3 days. I am waiting for the Target Margin to drop to 9 or even 6db to see what my line is capable of on my current broadband package, but I have been advised that with my attenuation of 6db I should be achieving near maximum speeds already.

I have eliminated my cordless phone as a source of interference/noise and have just now run a Quiet Line Test using a corded phone from BT. The line was absolutely silent apart from a barely perceptible hiss which I a. Guessing was the electronics in my phone.

Is there any further reason why I should suspect noise on the line my side of the NTE5 to be the cause of my low sync? As far as I can see that has been eliminated.

If not, are there any further steps I can take apart from waiting for a Noise Margin drop?

Thanks

P.S. I am NOT the account holder as registered with Tesco Broadband, the account holder does not see a problem with the line as it is, and so there is little I can do in terms of phoning the ISP or obtaining a new router

Edited by matthewcl375 (Mon 18-Feb-13 16:10:39)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Feb-13 16:01:59
Print Post

Re: Reduced sync speeds on Tesco Broadband *DELETED*

[re: matthewcl375] [link to this post]

Post deleted by 4M2
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Feb-13 17:10:51
Print Post

Re: Reduced sync speeds on Tesco Broadband

If you where connected to a LLU (SMPF/ Adsl only) network That did not use DLM or other nonsense (allegedly to increase stabilty) A line with an Attenuation of 6DB (Downstream ) should have no problems obtaining a full sync of 24mbps or higher assuming ADSL2 + So the max of 8mbps should be achivable even with a SNR of 12-15db which would be normal because it would be "spare" on an upto 8mbps product,
The fact that your line appears to ber under performing could be down to DLM borking things for you,(due to the line fault)
But Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 6,0 / 6,0 seems to me to be down to your router possibly misreporting the correct values, attenuation of 12-15db down and 6-8db upstream would be more realistic or a 6down &3up, but i would think that would be only possible if inside the exchange building

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Feb-13 17:21:16
Print Post

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

it was indeed a guy from OR who repaired the line
I'm the first who likes to embellish my post with chatty asides, but, in the interests of expediency and in the hope to get to the end of all this, may I suggest that we avoid side-issues, like the above, in future as they seem to derail the OP grin

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 18-Feb-13 17:34:41)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Feb-13 17:25:11
Print Post

Reminder: Who does account holder pay line rental to? Tesco or BT? Voice faults must be reported to whichever.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 19 Meg WBC
(member) Mon 18-Feb-13 17:31:01
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

I agree Re. LLU'd ADSL2+ unfortunately upgrading to that isn't an option until the contract with Tesco BB expires (around autumn this year) frown

I would be tempted to agree with you regarding the DLM messing up the line's performance, mainly because as I say I've gone through and eliminated all the common sources of noise interference in the house, so it's either gonna be the router or the DLM/Exchange/ISP. Interesting what you say about the router misreporting attenuation, is there any tool that can be used to measure what attenuation I should be getting based on my distance from the exchange?

((@XRaySpeX line rental is to BT, BB is to Tesco, but there are no voice faults on the line))

Edited by matthewcl375 (Mon 18-Feb-13 17:33:09)

Standard User 4M2
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Feb-13 17:57:42
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
it was indeed a guy from OR who repaired the line
I'm the first who likes to embellish my post with chatty asides, but, in the interests of expediency and in the hope to get to the end of all this, may I suggest that we avoid side-issues, like the above, in future as they seem to derail the OP grin

Sure, point taken smile
Standard User tommy45
(knowledge is power) Mon 18-Feb-13 18:53:21
Print Post

In reply to a post by matthewcl375:
Interesting what you say about the router misreporting attenuation, is there any tool that can be used to measure what attenuation I should be getting based on my distance from the exchange?
Yes , Your ISP should know what the true attenuation values are as the Dslam will have this info , Failing that ,Try another router is about the only other option, unless you know a BT openreach SFI engineer personally, (as they carry an JDSU or EXFO xDSL testing/diagnostic equipment) Anything other basically will be an educated guess, but as virtually each line will differ in some ways to another guestimates aren't always reliable

Edited by tommy45 (Mon 18-Feb-13 18:56:05)

(member) Mon 18-Feb-13 21:10:39
Print Post

[re: tommy45] [link to this post]

Could an incorrect reporting of the line attenuation have anything to do with the under performance of the line?

Also I've been seeing a lot of these in my router log recently, are they anything to worry about?

FIREWALL replay check (1 of 2): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 192.168.1.65 Dst ip: 92.20.142.155 Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Port Unreacheable
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 18-Feb-13 21:36:33
Print Post

Of course! If you don't know the true parameters of the line then there is no way you can know its possible performance. But I doubt that the Attenuation figures are far off; they are about equal simply cuz your line is extremely short. Collaborated by your stated v. short road distance from exchange.

EDIT: But only way to be certain is to get hold of another router as we repeatedly recommend.

Interesting that the Unreachable Dst IP: 92.20.142.155 belongs to Carphone Warehouse (TalkTalk/Opal). Note that this not C&W (Cable & Wireless). Have you been browsing TT site?

EDIT: The ICMP Protocol used there is that used for PING and that site is unpingable. So prob nowt to worry about.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 18-Feb-13 21:52:50)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to