General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Nimloc
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 11:13:59
Print Post

Just moved to Plusnet. Sudden change to SNR and sync

[link to this post]

Hello guys,
I wonder if I could tap your minds.

I've recently moved from IDNET to Plusnet Unlimited, and took router stats before and after. I see that my SNR has risen to 15db from 7db, as a result my sync has also changed for the worse.

Here are all the facts:

Questions:
Why would my SNR change from 7db to 15db when changing ISP, Line Rental & Phone provider?
Would switching back to Fastpath return things back?
As my router isn't diconnecting in the early hours at all, does this mean my training period is over, even though I'm still in the ten days period still?
Would switching to a permanent IP address cause my training period to terminate early?

1) I was on IDNET fastpath before for many years, now I'm on Plusnet Unlimited. The line is now set to interleaved.
2) In theory I should still be in my training period, yet the logs show no disconnections around 2.30am
3) I am BT Wholesale not LLU as I can use BT Speedtester
4) My router is a FritzBox Fon Wan - I haven't changed my router during the switch
5) My line rental provider is to be moved from BT to Plusnet, but I don't think this has occured as yet since I can call 17070 and am offered a full range of options - This may be no indicator though of this?

There are many stats to show you before and after the switch of ISP, so I have uploaded them and linked to them below

LINE STATS BEFORE AND AFTER COMPARISON
http://www.itsalivedesign.co.uk/ADSLstats.jpg

I would really appreciate your help with this puzzle. Many Thanks.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Feb-13 11:37:18
Print Post

Re: Just moved to Plusnet. Sudden change to SNR and sync

[re: Nimloc] [link to this post]

Line training continues forever
Those drops were probably real and due to noise at night

You can go up and down the target margin ladder at any time of the connections life span

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 19-Feb-13 12:34:39
Print Post

Have you done any manual reconnections since the move? If not, I suggest you do just one. It could be some random event has caused it.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 19-Feb-13 13:24:19
Print Post

an awful lot of "loss of signal" events on the stats, but doesn't say how long it was over.

You didn't go from 20CN to 21CN perhaps ? Which exchange.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User Nimloc
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 14:03:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I did cause the router to resync twice at times very close to each other - once to change a setting on the router, the second by pulling the plug when I saw a low sync for the first time. I read somewhere that the DLM (is that right?) would not see manual resets as a fault... I guess that isnt correct perhaps?

I was always getting above 7MB download as tested by speedtest.net before. Do you think if I leave things it should go back to that in a few weeks?

So grateful for your help by the way guys.
Standard User Nimloc
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 14:05:39
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

I'm on the Biggar Exchange. Using ADSL Max (8mb), BT wholesale
http://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/WSBIG

Looking there it says the exchange is still on 20CN

Could my SNR be affected by a move of ISP? If there's no way that could happen, and its just a freak occurrence, then I will leave it to the DLM on my BT Wholesale ADSL Max connection to hopefully recover the line to the condition I am used to before I moved.

If I leave it for two weeks, then reset the modem, would that allow me a chance to connect at a higher rate ok? Does that all sound correct guys?

Edited by Nimloc (Tue 19-Feb-13 14:54:22)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 19-Feb-13 14:59:03
Print Post

Manual seen as same as a fault resync. Two reboots should not trigger dlm

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Nimloc
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 17:56:56
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Thanks for the help so far!

Hopefully some clever person can answer all these remaining questions:
1) Can a large SNR change be caused by a switch of ISP, Line Rental or Phone package? I would imagine not, but I'd like to be sure.
2) Why if I'm still in my 10 day training, is my router not disconnecting and reconnecting at all in the early morning as it should?
3) Is that 15db SNR with atten 28db causing a lower sync rate?
4) In all likely hood, can I trust DLM to return my line back to the quite different specs I had before I moved ISP?
5) If you think not, would moving back to IDNET, with BT handling my line rental and phone (as things were setup before) likely return things back to my performance before the switch?
6) Would switching back to Fastpath cause my line to re-train?
7) Apologies for this question, as its likely been answered before in the forums. Is my IP Profile fixed or will this change over time?

Thanks!

Colin

Edited by Nimloc (Tue 19-Feb-13 18:03:58)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Tue 19-Feb-13 18:44:43
Print Post

In reply to a post by Nimloc:
1) Can a large SNR change be caused by a switch of ISP, Line Rental or Phone package? I would imagine not, but I'd like to be sure.
It shouldn't.
2) Why if I'm still in my 10 day training, is my router not disconnecting and reconnecting at all in the early morning as it should?
What gives you the impression that it should? It shouldn't.
3) Is that 15db SNR with atten 28db causing a lower sync rate?
Yes.
4) In all likely hood, can I trust DLM to return my line back to the quite different specs I had before I moved ISP?
SNRM - yes. Fast Path - no. A possible result of interleaving being on is a 7616kbps maximum sync instead of 8128kbps.
5) If you think not, would moving back to IDNET, with BT handling my line rental and phone (as things were setup before) likely return things back to my performance before the switch?
No.
6) Would switching back to Fastpath cause my line to re-train?
That partly depends on what you mean by "retrain". The use of that word to refer to the initial 10 days of a BT Wholesale connection is thoroughly confusing, and the idiot who called it a training period should be hung, drawn and quartered, if he/she hasn't already been.

The proper meaning of "training" in modem connection context is the process undergone to establish the connection.
7) Apologies for this question, as its likely been answered before in the forums. Is my IP Profile fixed or will this change over time?
Probably. See this page.

I suggest you wait till the end of the 10 days, purely in the interests of your blood pressure as no ISP's support ever wants to do anything during it, then ask for a complete line reset to defaults (including Fast Path). That cause both a real retrain and a new 10-day period.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 541/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Nimloc
(newbie) Tue 19-Feb-13 19:04:22
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thanks Roberto, MrSaffron and Yarwell. I can't thank you enough for all that information. I wish I could buy you a beer for your brilliant help.

Colin

P.S. Tsohost, mentioned in your sig Roberto, are indeed excellent I use them on a few sites and have had a great experience.
  Print Thread

Jump to