General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User triceratops
(newbie) Sun 17-Mar-13 03:28:41
Print Post

EE broadband and home phone

[link to this post]

Hi folks,

Hopefully I've got this in the correct board.

I've had ee broadband and home phone since early December and it was beautiful, was quoted 11.5mbps and it was speedy and did what I wanted.

However, last Sunday, I tried to use the landline and there was a horrendous crackling. My internet speed had also dropped to 0.89mbps.

I phoned ee and got an openreach engineer round on wednesday (march 13). I live in a block of flats converted from an old house and so we only have a line jack unit. He replaced this with an nte5 then disappeared, telling me he was going to check other things outside and not to use the internet for half an hour. I left it two hours and then picked up the phone to be met with the crackling and internet speeds of 0.33mbps.

I got a text from ee on thursday saying an engineer had now fixed the landline fault.

The landline is now mostly working, although when I pick up the phone when I first wake up and when I get back from work, it crackles, and callers have told me they can hear crackling. The internet has also dropped to 0.05mbps.

I'm getting really frustrated with ee- their call centre keeps telling me to change the filters, plug the router into the test socket and wait 24hours but surely there's a landline fault?

My router stats are:

Downstream Rate: 283kbps
Upstream Rate: 444kbps
Defect/Failure Indication
Operation Data Upstream Downstream
Noise Margin 31.5 dB 24.9 dB
Line Attenuation 14.2 dB 23.0 dB
Indicator Name Near End Indicator Far End Indicator
Output Power 9.9 dBm 0.0 dBm
Fast Path FEC Correction NA NA
Interleaved Path FEC Correction 11824 0
Fast Path CRC Error NA NA
Interleaved Path CRC Error 7 20
Loss of Signal Defect 21 0
Fast Path HEC Error STR NA NA
Interleaved Path HEC Error 14 15
Error Seconds 204 61

Are these bad? Does anyone know if this means the land line is still up the creek, or is this likely to now be a separate broadband problem?

Thanks folks!
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 07:50:03
Print Post

Re: EE broadband and home phone

[re: triceratops] [link to this post]

The crackling shouldn't be there at all, doubtless the fault on the line has caused the dip in sync rate, and it's now apparent cap.

If you have noise on your line WITHOUT your broadband equipment connected, ring EE, jump through all the hoops, get them to get an engineer out, (hopefully you'll not get the same one).

If the noise is only apparent when the broadband equipment IS connected, ring EE, jump through all the hoops, suggest a CIDT test be run, get them to get an engineer out, (hopefully you'll not get the same one).

Basically, you pay EE for telephony and broadband, you are their customer, it is down to them to get their suppliers to resolve this to your satisfaction.

Sadly, it is very often apparent that the proof of a service provider should be measured by it's resolution of faults.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 08:12:01
Print Post

[re: Zarjaz] [link to this post]

Doesn't this sound like one wire of the pair loose but still making contact Zarjaz? Apart from the fact the phone works at all, the speed on the broadband seem to me consistent with single-wire operation.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sun 17-Mar-13 08:12:21)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 08:39:16
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, it sounds like an HR. Hence the asking for a CIDT test to be run.

My point was that it is down to EE to get this sorted on the OP's behalf.

Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Sun 17-Mar-13 11:34:58
Print Post

Contact EE customer support and tell them you have a landline fault NSY (noise on the line) and ask for an engineers visit. Do not mention broadband to them, with the landline fault rectified your broadband should also be fully rectified. wink

http://news.bbc.co.uk/dna/place-lancashire/plain/A11...

http://help.orange.co.uk/orangeuk/support/personal/c...

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps. Sync 13181 kbps Downstream, 1264 kbps Upstream.
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User triceratops
(newbie) Sun 17-Mar-13 15:34:49
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice smile

The only problem is the fact that the crackling is intermittent, so trying to catch it to work out if it's related to the router being plugged in is a problem.

Currently, the dial tone sounds absolutely fine but the internet is only doing 0.24mbps...

I shall try ee again- hopefully I'll get an engineer who will actually stay to fix the problem!
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sun 17-Mar-13 18:14:28
Print Post

Has this materialised after heavy rain?

We had a similar intermittent issue with the phone. Turned out to be our connection, at the CAB, was near the ground. Luckily there was spare connection nearer the top and all has been well since.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 17-Mar-13 22:45:56
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Wells are usually in the ground.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 18-Mar-13 12:28:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Thought Wells was in Somerset!

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 18-Mar-13 13:42:37
Print Post

[re: broadband66] [link to this post]

Well that isn't in the sea.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to