General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User blim
(newbie) Sat 23-Mar-13 14:31:07
Print Post

Plusnet lies

[link to this post]

Hi,

This ones quite simple really, I used almost my hole 250gb limit one month and even since my connection has become intermittent.

My connection used to sit at full speed when downloading never used to miss a beat. Now thou it seems to be VERY choppy and this has led to latency spikes even when I'm not using the connection. On a good day If bbci player is running on say a laptop on the wireless not even able to reach full speed, I would see latency spikes.

So basically Ive gone from having a top end connection capable of doing many things before it became unstable, to having a connection that becomes unstable out of peak time and almost unusable but completely useless to me in peak times.

Plusnet keep passing the blame but will not take responsibility for this problem and have basically told me unless my line speed drops below 16mb that this is completely acceptable.

As a gamer I have changed ISP (cable) due the same problem to just be led down the same road.

Some things Ive noticed since this problem started are TTL has gone from being 244 to 120 on a bbci.co.uk ping test. My RWIN seems to be stuck at 16698 and will not change no matter what I do. I don't know if that has any impact but it dose seem strange that these settings have changed at the time my connection turns to rubbish.

Edited by blim (Sat 23-Mar-13 14:35:03)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 23-Mar-13 14:47:34
Print Post

Re: Plusnet lies

[re: blim] [link to this post]

BB doesn't touch your RWIN. You can alter it yourself (TcpWindowSize).

What OS? If XP you may need to tweak it.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User blim
(newbie) Sat 23-Mar-13 14:51:32
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

win7 so I cant do much. If I turn auto tuning off it gets worse so I leave it on.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Mar-13 15:23:53
Print Post

Please can you run a BT Performance Test? Make a note of the figures on the initial results page, then click the Further Diagnostics button on the bottom left. Then copy and paste the full results in the downstream and upstream text boxes, together with the latency figure you got on the initial page smile.

Whereabouts are you in the country? Plusnet recently had serious problems up in Scotland and lesser ones in England.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User blim
(newbie) Sat 23-Mar-13 15:31:46
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

ping Latency(ms): 25.63

1. Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
23.18 Mbps

0 Mbps 77.44 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 23.18 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 16 Mbps-77.44 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 77.44 Mbps

2. Upstream Test: -provides background information.

Upload Speed
14.86 Mbps

0 Mbps 20 Mbps
Max Achievable Speed

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 14.86Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

We were unable to identify any performance problem with your service at this time.
It is possible that any problem you are currently, or had previously experienced may have been caused by traffic congestion on the Internet or by the server you were accessing responding slowly.
If you continue to encounter a problem with a specific server, please contact the administrator of that server in the first instance.

above 16 Mbps so they will not do a thing.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Mar-13 15:40:15
Print Post

OK, that is grim!

If you go to your Plusnet Member Centre, and in the left-hand menu there is "Connection settings". Click that, then on the right is an icon "High-speed broadband". What is the Current line speed set at? It should be 77.43Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User blim
(newbie) Sat 23-Mar-13 15:41:03
Print Post

Isle of wight, Cowes very close to the exchange and cab.
Standard User blim
(newbie) Sat 23-Mar-13 15:42:32
Print Post

Telephone number:
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Phone exchange:
COWES
Estimated line speed:
64Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-02-14 04:36:36
Current line speed:
78 Mb
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 23-Mar-13 16:35:44
Print Post

Hmmm frown.

That's usually what is wrong (low) when we see this sort of thing, but the 78Mbps setting is fixed and was applied a while back on your product.

I see you have a thread on the Community Forums about the TTL value, where you mention your connection problem, with no description of the problem. As though you'd already posted about that.

Is there another thread there somewhere about it?

Are the speeds the same if you test wired to the router, and make sure no-one else is using the net at the same time? Are you sure you haven't got something unexpected uploading P2P stuff? Have you checked what is connecting wirelessly to your router, which I assume has WAP2 security with a decent password?

The response from support isn't much use. Totally inadequate in my opinion. But I'm sure one way or another it will get sorted. When did you get in touch with them? I don't think it will be anything to do with getting near your 250GB. Was that unusual for you?

Have you rebooted your router since this started? If not, turn it off for ten minutes then see how things are afterwards.

Standard User blim
(newbie) Sat 23-Mar-13 16:52:47
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes there have been many threads created in an attempt to get something sorted.

http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,1121...

As you can see I posted about problems starting in peak time but since I made that post Ive had problems all times of day. Last night for instance I didn't stop getting latency spikes until 2am. But the main problem with my connection, I will get latency spike peak time ofc but if I use just a small % of my connection out of peak time, I will see latency spikes upto 6x my normal ping. And its only when my download speed gets so bad that I'm only receiving under 16Mbps will anything get done about it.

I'm wired to my router and all thou the test above was done without asking the house mate to not use the net I kept an eye on the wireless light and no activity was present while the test was done.

I have checked the router network interface and all looks normal regards to who is/was connected (my laptop and house mates laptop only, with a password)

Ive connected the OR modem directly to my PC and created a PPPoE connection and the problem remains. Ive also got a fresh install of windows as I wanted to restore the speed on my ssd drives.

No using 250gb is not normal for me. before that I was on a 60bg monthly usage and only then did I ever hit my cap. I don't have TV signal in this area so I do tend to use catchuptv a lot. But this problem has been going on for just before xmas and yet NOTHING has been done to address this problem, they are still saying we need proof.

EDIT: sorry keep adding more but I think I've answered all your questions.

Sorry yes, For the first time since November when it was installing I did a restart of the OR modem and I did that about a week or less ago. No change thou frown. Ive also tried 3 different PPPoE routers with no luck. two of them are brand new.

Edited by blim (Sat 23-Mar-13 19:50:38)

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to