General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User Riverbraid
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-13 15:43:10
Print Post

TalkTalk ISP

[link to this post]

hi am wondering what is the best broadband provider as I live in a rural area and I should be getting 8MB speed but it is near 1.4MB speed our less than 1MB sometimes am with talktalk and was thinking of changing to another provider but I like to know which is best is BT anygood please tell me your providers and speeds so I can see whch is best.
Thanks

Harold
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Mar-13 15:54:02
Print Post

Re: TalkTalk ISP

[re: Riverbraid] [link to this post]

Can you post your router stats? Could just be that you are on a long line and that any ISP would perform much the same. With the stats we will at least be able to see if it is talktalk causing the issue or just physics.

Other potential isps would be bt, plusnet, Zen, sky, vivaciti, xilo, Andrews and Arnold and probably a few others I've missed.
Standard User Riverbraid
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-13 15:57:02
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

Ok thanks do not know how to get router stats

Harold

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Mar-13 16:00:59
Print Post

See if you can find your router here and it should hopefully tell you how to get them.
Standard User Riverbraid
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-13 16:03:53
Print Post

In reply to a post by ian72:
See if you can find your router here and it should hopefully tell you how to get them.

Sorry is not there is TalkTalk own router

I think it is TalkTalk problem for in morning I can get speed of between 2MB and 3MB then in evening is less than 1Mb

Harold

Edited by Riverbraid (Sun 24-Mar-13 16:24:02)

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Sun 24-Mar-13 16:18:16
Print Post

Google came up with this
Standard User Riverbraid
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-13 17:09:14
Print Post

OK got my stats here they are

ADSL (Sync) Summary
System uptime: 22:45:01
Modem ADSL (Sync) uptime: 22:44:34
Interleaving: On
ADSL mode: G.DMT
ADSL settings: PVC:0/38
ADSL line speed (kbps): up 448 down 8096
Line attentuation (dB): up 13.5 down 19.0
SN margin (dB): up 19.0 down 11.0
Total errors seconds:

Harold
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sun 24-Mar-13 18:29:18
Print Post

Well you are right (in a way) about what speed you should be getting.

The 8096kbps is the speed you are actually connected at - near as dammit 8Mbps. However on that connection speed the best you will ever get is under 7Mbps actual download speed.

It sounds as though TalkTalk is over-subscribed at your exchange. Please could you tell us what the exchange is, so we can see what else is available. The best thing would be the link to what samknows says about the exchange.

It may be that 8Mbps is the maximum connection speed you can get there from any ISP, but there will be some that deliver more like 6Mbps actual download from that most of the time. There is a slight possibility that ADSL2+ is available, which would give you a connection speed of 18-20Mbps with download speeds of 15-17Mbps.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User Riverbraid
(newbie) Sun 24-Mar-13 18:34:32
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
Well you are right (in a way) about what speed you should be getting.

The 8096kbps is the speed you are actually connected at - near as dammit 8Mbps. However on that connection speed the best you will ever get is under 7Mbps actual download speed.

It sounds as though TalkTalk is over-subscribed at your exchange. Please could you tell us what the exchange is, so we can see what else is available. The best thing would be the link to what samknows says about the exchange.

It may be that 8Mbps is the maximum connection speed you can get there from any ISP, but there will be some that deliver more like 6Mbps actual download from that most of the time. There is a slight possibility that ADSL2+ is available, which would give you a connection speed of 18-20Mbps with download speeds of 15-17Mbps.

My exchange is aughafatten in Northern Ireland

Harold
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 24-Mar-13 18:45:53
Print Post

Cross-posting is frowned upon here. You'd already posted this here: http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/notspot/t/4224059-b...

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to