General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User PSears
(newbie) Sat 06-Apr-13 18:22:12
Print Post

Plusnet non-Installation -The Saga

[link to this post]

Long post - (put the kettle on)

First of all, I am grateful for the possibility to post here, a great site. - There is also the possibility that someone from Plusnet might read this and learn about customer service.

I applied for Fibre Unlimited on the 25th of March. It is a decision I have come to regret, especially the immediate payment I made in an attempt to expedite the process.

First of all, the communication through the site has to be the worst idea. I use my own email address an have done for years, I am not used to logging in to find out information from a service provider, I am used to having it mailed to my own address. My mistake was not realising that there was no other communication until switched on in the account area.

Three dates were asked for, three dates were given. Nothing happened. Checked in to see MAC number required. I wasn't even aware they existed, or that they were still required. OK, I ring up and give the MAC code it takes two days to get from Be. That's fine. All set for the 8th as by now the other two dates are no good. OK, we agree. the 8th - PM. I make arrangements with work etc.

I decide just to check back on the site to make sure a couple of days later. Installation date set to the 16th...AM er.. what?

I ring up and get put on hold for twenty minutes, then I am told they can't help and have to transfer me. Another ten minutes - my patience is now at an end. After thirty two minutes, I end up speaking to the person that actually put the job through, so extremely annoyed I ask what they are doing, as the date and time (AM) are not what was agreed and are totally unsuitable. Nothing can be done, the job was not entered correctly the and it had to be "entered manually".

I don't actually care what went wrong, what I do know is I did NOT agree to the time and date. So I ask for a supervisor, none available and they wouldn't be able to help, the ticket cannot be prioritised and no date prior can be arranged, complete stonewall. I mentioned on the call that if this is how things start off, it's not looking good for the next eighteen months. I also mention the "negotiation" part of the Goods and Services Act 1982. I terminate the call out of sheer frustration. Tickets raised, I finally get emails through to my address, good thing to it's now my proof of Plusnet admitting they fouled up. Still say they will charge me £50 for install, if I don't meet the date.

I decide later the same day to cancel, I am so unimpressed with what should be a simple process.
Again I am kept on hold for twenty odd minutes to be told that the relevant team works 9-5. I am ringing at ten pm in the hope I might have to wait less....WRONG. I fax the head office with a cancellation as now I can see where this is heading. I ask for confirmation to my email address

I ring Plusnet AGAIN at exactly nine o'clock AM and I finally get through without a wait. I cancel the account, and (hopefully) the direct debit. I again ask for confirmation via my email address -Yes of course I am told. An attempt is made to enter into how it's not Plusnet's fault or something, but I just want to CANCEL.

I attempt now to apply to another ISP, all this has taken so long I am going to run parallel FTTC and ADSL if possible so no loss of connection. Least ways I have to now extend the Be account, except - there is a flag left on the line..... by Plusnet. So we ring Plusnet again and ask them to remove the install flag, and again ask to cancel the installation. I ask for confirmation to my email address.... again.

Plusnet do actually remove the flag, as I am able to get ADSL24 installation started, they offer me the 15th. Funny... that.

So where is my refund and written confirmation? I have been refunded £10 from the £65.98 debited, it could be I am not reading things right, they could be "it takes 7 days, sir" as I just rang them again, remember I am not even a customer anymore. no written confirmation of cancellation of contract. It could be "we have your money anyway, go away" I do not give an inch on potential 18 month contracts with leaving fees for early termination. It's a lot of money. The level of service thus far would suggest another cock-up. Do I wait, or just head for small claims? The saga is not yet at an end.... all I want is my money back.
Standard User reserved
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 06-Apr-13 21:27:29
Print Post

Re: Plusnet non-Installation -The Saga

[re: PSears] [link to this post]

I have highlighted your post on the PN Community forums

Dennis
plusnet Unlimited & talkanytime
Standard User PSears
(newbie) Sat 06-Apr-13 21:37:08
Print Post

[re: reserved] [link to this post]

Thanks, it's appreciated. Interesting note - peak time this afternoon - response time <20 secs, I am no longer on the database. 141 your number - faster response time. So there is a database driven call priority system in place here. Or it's pure coincidence.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 08-Apr-13 15:53:13
Print Post

Hi PSears,

Really sorry to hear this, and that things happened the way they did. If you could drop me a DM with your username I'll take a look at your account and make sure that the refund is going through for you.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User PSears
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 15:07:10
Print Post

OK, after over two weeks of investigation and research, all ISP are just making up install dates, you know, the ones where on pain of death you must be in to allow the installation, where invariably the engineer doesn't turn up? Where it's costing nearly £100 to hit the return key and alter a couple of wires?

This is because Openreach are the gatekeepers. There is apparently no relationship whatsoever between installation dates quoted by any UK ISP and when Openreach will provision it. There is no mechanism to call Openreach to account, quantify or qualify the work done, or ensure that once provisioned, the installation will be fit for purpose. The great get-out statement of all of this is that line levels fluctuate after install and need to settle. Unusual, I can understand load balancing, but that should surely be set to predefined norms.

Anyway, another ISP another failure to provision, ticket raised and surprise surprise, there was a problem with the order, and it didn't go through, and ...blah blah blahh. I simply do not believe this.

Either:

A: Every single ISP when submitting an order, fouls it up and does not contact me when there is a "problem"
B: Openreach are [censored] (that seems to be a given) and do not process orders submitted by ISP's correctly
C: I have a unique situation that has never occurred in the history of telecommunications
D: Aliens
E: Any or all of the above

So.. I still have no confirmed date for FTTC, the order has been "processed" which is exactly the state of play a week ago today, the cabinet is literally outside the house, and has been for over a year, with a screwdriver and some pliers, I could actually install this myself - I hold out little hope of an actual working install of FTTC this month, or probably ever. Which means that I will STILL be without internet for a period of time despite all efforts to prevent this specific scenario from occuring.

I simply fail to understand what on earth is so complicated about any of this.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:06:44
Print Post

Re: Now ADSL24 non-Installation -The Saga

In reply to a post by PSears:
... This is because Openreach are the gatekeepers. There is apparently no relationship whatsoever between installation dates quoted by any UK ISP and when Openreach will provision it. There is no mechanism to call Openreach to account, quantify or qualify the work done, or ensure that once provisioned, the installation will be fit for purpose.
Spot on.
The great get-out statement of all of this is that line levels fluctuate after install and need to settle.
Largely drivel, arising donkey's years ago from some incompetents at BT Wholesale and no-one since high enough up to get it squashed.
Unusual, I can understand load balancing, but that should surely be set to predefined norms.
Nothing at all to do with load balancing.
Anyway, another ISP another failure to provision, ticket raised and surprise surprise, there was a problem with the order, and it didn't go through, and ...blah blah blahh. I simply do not believe this.
ADSL24?

I'm a bit concerned that this saga, (which I accept you started in good faith in the Plusnet forum), will continue to reflect badly on them wrt the underlying cause that you have now identified.

Cancellation after order, as you described initially, is always a messy business when a chain of autonomous suppliers is involved.
So.. I still have no confirmed date for FTTC, the order has been "processed" which is exactly the state of play a week ago today, the cabinet is literally outside the house, and has been for over a year, with a screwdriver and some pliers, I could actually install this myself - I hold out little hope of an actual working install of FTTC this month, or probably ever. Which means that I will STILL be without internet for a period of time despite all efforts to prevent this specific scenario from occuring.
Why will you be without internet? Has your Be broadband been cancelled? (By the way, you probably know by now you can't have ADSL2+ and FTTC simultaneously on the same line, but the physical changeover should only take 30-45 minutes).
I simply fail to understand what on earth is so complicated about any of this.
Not a lot. I hate to say it, and no criticism of you is meant as you didn't know what you were up against, but cancelling the existing order rather than getting an acceptable date manually arranged if 16 April was unacceptable is at the root of the ongoing issues you have had.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User PSears
(newbie) Fri 12-Apr-13 18:35:15
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

No, sorry, Plusnet offered a selection of dates which was hopelessly optimistic - and they knew it - then they dictated to me a date which was unacceptable without informing me. They still to date have not refunded the money.

No root cause has actually been found as to what has happened, and another investigation is ongoing with another ISP to find out if I can IF there is an underlying cause, other than incompetency and the failure to read a calendar and liase with the person paying the large sums of money (me).

Plusnet also completely failed to inform my by my chosen method of communication, what was going on, ok the answer was "absolutely nothing" but it would have been nice to know.

I still don't know, and neither will anyone else actually tell me

The cancellation had and has nothing to do with the intransigence of an over arching company that is possibly the real cause of problems, it would be courteous to tell me the truth.

If the provision of broadband in this country is so problematic, despite all of the nice shiny adverts telling me how great and easy everything is, perhaps it is well overdue that someone spills the beans.

If things go as they usually do, I will be banned for writing things that others don't like, well, I'm used to that and the thread is already saved.

If I had not joined this forum, contacted various people - and researched the entire topic for two weeks, I would not be knowledgable as I now am about a subject I actually have little interest in.

I should not have to know about the history of the East India Company to buy a cup of tea.
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Fri 12-Apr-13 20:07:06
Print Post

The only way you'll be banned from this forum or by breaking the forum rules, e.g. bad language/censor avoidance or being rude to other users. You will not be banned for posting opinions and facts about ISPs.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 12-Apr-13 21:58:49
Print Post

[re: BatBoy] [link to this post]

But neither will he get much well-intended advice if he wilfully fails to understand what has been explained and bites off the head of the person who did the explaining.

Grrrr.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Tue 16-Apr-13 09:39:28
Print Post

Hi there,

Hope the refund is now showing as coming through for you? It was issued back to your card on Friday so if it's not it will be soon.

Really sorry we couldn't get things installed for you, the initial order was actually rejected as the engineer date requested was too close to the order date (I believe there has to be a 7 day lead time). I believe though that the replacement appointment was communicated to you by ticket and email?

Either way I'm sorry it didn't go ahead and hope that you've received the refund.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
  Print Thread

Jump to