General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User zonedemon
(newbie) Fri 10-May-13 20:43:00
Print Post

Extremely slow sky broadband speed.

[link to this post]

Hi all I'm stuck at what I can do next as I've tried to cancel my sky broadband because to be honest it's very slow to the point that I might as well not have it.

here's the stats as from 198.168.0.1.
Downstream connection speed 711kbps, upstream 252kbps.
Line attenuation 60.0 dB (downstream) 27.9 dB (upstream)
Noise margin 7.9 dB (downstream) 0.0 dB (upstream)

Hopefully that will explain a little about what I'm getting and give some clear insight as to what I can do next, it's been like this from day one and they promised me after the first 10 days I would get as an estimate between 4 and 9 mb/s download speeds and as yet I'm just getting slightly better then dial up (their words).

I tried to cancel and although their policy is to provide atleast 1mb/s they won't let me cancel without paying a cancellation fee, unsure what to do next, I've even bought a new modem/router to try in case it was the sky hub.

Thank you for your time.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-May-13 20:54:27
Print Post

Re: Extremely slow sky broadband speed.

[re: zonedemon] [link to this post]

Is that Sky Connect?

Is this your first broadband at that address? If not, what did you get from the previous one? Useful to know in an argument.

If they really refuse to budge say you do not accept their refusal and ask them for a "Deadlock letter" so that you can refer it to "Ombudsman Services", the dispute resolution service they are members of.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User zonedemon
(newbie) Fri 10-May-13 20:59:45
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I'm not sure it's Sky broadband ADSL, the lady next door is also with sky and has the same wireless modem/router as I do and she's saying hers is fast but that's as much as she knows and the lad opposite me gets 9mb/s download speeds and he's with Tescos broadband, just moved here 5 months ago and originally I was with Virgin which were great at my previous address but this area doesn't support cable or fiberoptic broadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 10-May-13 21:45:58
Print Post

Please can you post the name of the exchange. You can find it from samknows.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-May-13 22:25:57
Print Post

Is the upstream noise margin really showing as 0.0?

Can you restart the router and check the figures as soon as it has connected to the ADSL signal.

Looks like it may be Sky LLU but with either

1) A long and badly performing line
or
2) The Sky DLM system is costing you around 2 Meg of speed by settling on a slow but stable value.

If the attenuation is correct, I would be very surprised to see a speed of 9Mbps, in a perfect world you might manage 4 Mbps, but more likely 2 to 3 Mbps.

Have you got a test socket in the property, which means no extensions will work, it is possible connection speeds will be better using that.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zonedemon
(newbie) Fri 10-May-13 22:51:05
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Postcode is PE29 6JW so you can check yourself, it does show LLU but I would rather you checked it out please.

checked my stats again they are the same except the attenualtion upstream is now 28.3 and upstream noise margin is 1.1 but it seems to hang around 0.0 for a very longtime and randomly goes up to 1.1 sometimes slightly higher but it never lasts.

I had issues with it from the start and I ended up in one month with a £40 phone bill from constantly calling them up after receiving texts saying my fault had been fixed and no need to call, only to find it was worse or the same.

Had an Open reach engineer come out who tested the line and said the wiring was bad which made my internet worse from the start it was around 0.9kb/s dropped it to 0.6, second engineer came out a couple of months later in Feb and put new lines in from outside to the box or where ever they take it but that came back worse to the point that I can only use my house phone in the extension socket as it wouldn't work in the master socket or test socket (he changed that to one with a built in micro filter) and I had to unplug my modem or I wouldn't get a dial tone and I can't plug in my modem into anything other then the top micro filter on the master BT socket as it doesn't pick up anything on the test socket.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-May-13 23:06:10
Print Post

Does your master socket look like http://www.coolwebhome.co.uk/images/openreach-inters...

If so then the test socket is accessed by removing the interstitial plate too.

Sounds very like the wiring is a contributory factor, particularly if a a phone is not working in what you think is the test socket. There are hints of something wrong based on the attenuation and upstream noise margins.

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User zonedemon
(newbie) Fri 10-May-13 23:18:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes but the bottom socket and test socket once that face is off doesn't work formy modem. To use the phone I have to plug it into the extension line, I only get a tone from the bottom socket if I unplug the modem from the micro filter, if the modem is plugged into the micro filter the test socket is completely dead, if I plug a micro filter into the test socket instead of using the built in top micro filter I get nothing at all as if it can't find a connection, tried with and without a micro filter, doesn't work in the test socket for finding a connection either (can wait an hour and the modem won't flash even once).

Not sure if this will help but I will mention it I have two BT master sockets next to each other one doesn't work at all other as described above, the extension that works is next to those BT master sockets and one upstairs in the bedroom doesn't work at all. It looks as if this house had a fault with the phone lines and instead of fixing them they just put another line.
Standard User zonedemon
(newbie) Fri 10-May-13 23:22:27
Print Post

Is there anyway of me fixing it myself, I'm extremely good with wiring if given instructions, I'm a self employed mobile mechanic so I'm pretty good wiring electrics in cars and I know a phone line doesn't have any live wires, well I haven't been electrocuted yet but if I mess up I can always put it back to how it was to start with.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 10-May-13 23:45:38
Print Post

In the first instance we need to see pictures of the various bits when you say they do and don't work.

If the phone does not work then the master socket (the bit attached to the wall in photo) then suggests you have some funky non-standard wiring.

The two master sockets, suggests the line probably had two phone lines at one time.

The issue with resolving this yourself depends on whether the master socket when back to the minimum is working or not.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to