General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Tue 14-May-13 14:39:17
Print Post

Master Socket

[link to this post]

So you have a problem with your voice service and/or broadband service and need to contact your ISP. They get you to run some tests which frequently require you to expose the hidden outlet of the master socket. Additionally thy may want you to contact you by your mobile while tests are carried out on the line.

This time around there is so much noise on the line that a) it is difficult to hold a telephone conversation and b) the broadband service keeps on dropping out.

So for starters you are asked to change the ADSL filter and some times asked to use another router, as if the average Joe public has one lying around! Frustrated with all this my neighbour asked me for help.

Well there is no master socket and to compound the issue further, mobiles don't work in the property. Our Indian friends don't seem to be able to escalate the issue further for a resolution but instead go down the tack of getting an engineering out that would cost megabucks [well to a pensioner at least] to 'fix' the problem.

So any suggestions here to get a nice crisp line and a broadband service that stays up and therefore fit for purpose for free? Short of fitting a new master socket myself, and being carted off to jail for doing so, I don't see a way forward.
Standard User yarwell
(sensei) Tue 14-May-13 15:11:04
Print Post

Re: Master Socket

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Engineer visits are not chargeable unless there is a fault that is entirely down to the customer. The lack of an NTE5 in my opinion would make that very unlikely.

If there's a line fault you need the engineer in any case.

--

Phil

MaxDSL - goes as fast as it can and doesn't read the line checker first.

MaxDSL diagnostics
Standard User vivaciti
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-May-13 15:27:54
Print Post

If you have so much noise on the line when trying to make a voice call then going down the broadband side to log a fault would not be the best place to start, you should really be logging this with your voice provider first (don't mention broadband) as you need to get a clear line for voice before you can think about getting the broadband side sorted out.

www.vivaciti.net
Vivaciti Broadband
0800 0911797

Forum
Facebook

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 14-May-13 16:07:46
Print Post

1. Unplug all the ADSL hardware
2. Is the line still noisy?
3. Report a voice fault and DO NOT mention broadband at all.

If there is no NTE5 then while you should not play around, generally removing unused extensions goes a long way to cleaning up a line, and helping confidence that issue is not in the property.

Generally the engineer will attend and fit the NTE5 as part of the visit, and only make it chargeable if you want the extension wiring reconnected.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Tue 14-May-13 21:39:54
Print Post

Well there is no master socket and to compound the issue further, mobiles don't work in the property. Our Indian friends don't seem to be able to escalate the issue further for a resolution but instead go down the tack of getting an engineering out that would cost megabucks [well to a pensioner at least] to 'fix' the problem.

Firstly, report it on line via your working connection. Don't mention the BB issue, just noise. If the report says tests OK, and suggests an appointment to resolve, then you will have to accept that charges MAY be raised if proved to the equipment. Since there is no NTE, as it stands, there is no demarcation point.......... no theirs/yours as such. The engineer will fit an NTE, and it is more than likely that clearing the noise issue will fix the broadband issue at the same time.

Standard User rosspaul
(regular) Fri 07-Jun-13 08:05:06
Print Post

[re: yarwell] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by yarwell:
Engineer visits are not chargeable unless there is a fault that is entirely down to the customer. The lack of an NTE5 in my opinion would make that very unlikely.

If there's a line fault you need the engineer in any case.

I have had intermittent noise on my line for 6 months - BT have been called out many times (about 5 or 6 times) and they say the line is OK & I have not been charged.
One engineer said there was an internal fault on my cabling and suggested I disconnect all non essential sockets (I have lots). I left my alarm connected and a bedroom and I still have noise. Of course when they came after that they said the line was testing OK. Still haven't been charged so don't worry.
Be polite and offer them a drink.

AOL/TheFreeDotNet/RedHotAnt/Ezesurf/Pipex/Madasafish/O2 Premium/ BT Infinity
  Print Thread

Jump to