General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User auldgit
(newbie) Tue 14-May-13 23:46:33
Print Post

newnet usage problems

[link to this post]

Hi, I am new here so be patient!!

Since the 1st of May my usage has suddenly shot up, as i am on a capped package i check it regularly.I received an e-mail from NewNet saying i was over my limit and when i checked it it showed usage at times when my computer was not even on, even during the night.
My router has a changed password to be able to get into it, my wireless is encrypted and secured with a long password and my ip address is changed from the default. Newnet are trying to tell me it is my router- a "TP-LINK" as them and "BILLION" make routers are being hacked and suggest buying a new router " possibly netgear as they dont get hacked" !! are they pulling my chain? it seems a coincidence the they have done system upgrades and then emergency repairs on exactly the same day my problems started. I do not mind repacing my router but not if it is their problem and i am just being "fobbed off" until they sort the problem.

Are any other member having problems with NewNet?? all replies would be appreciated
thx
Standard User BatBoy
(legend) Wed 15-May-13 08:26:59
Print Post

Re: newnet usage problems

[re: auldgit] [link to this post]

WPS on the router is an open door, allowing the wifi to be easily hacked even if you're using WPA2 security.

__________________________________________________________________________The back pedalling starts here__________________
Standard User jelv
(knowledge is power) Wed 15-May-13 08:50:02
Print Post

Have you tried powering the router off and seeing if they are recording any usage then?

jelv

Plusnet user since November 2001 - not sure for how much longer

Edited by jelv (Wed 15-May-13 08:50:30)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User auldgit
(newbie) Wed 15-May-13 12:36:15
Print Post

[re: jelv] [link to this post]

thanks guys,
sorry about the x post - how do i delete the post on the newnet forum?.
I have re- done all the re-setting that NewNet suggested but it still shows usage should i change my router?. I just find it strange that this happened right after core maintenance then emergency maintenance, i know that they will not admit they are having problems with extra bandwidth that is not being used by customers but being billed to their accounts unless more customers notice it and complain. I dont mind changing my router but if it is not my problem i am no further forward and it is costing me money that doesnt sort out the problem. Btw it seems strange their comment about "Billion" routers as they supply them for forty odd quid if i wanted to replace mine through them!!
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 15-May-13 13:28:41
Print Post

In reply to a post by auldgit:
how do i delete the post on the newnet forum?.
Too late now but it was press the Edit button and it gives you option to "Delete this post". You can do that for up to 24 hours.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC - BQM
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 15-May-13 16:23:04
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

Up to 12 hours tongue.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 54.2/15.2Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User flippery
(member) Wed 15-May-13 16:48:48
Print Post

Newnet had a similar problem, highlighted here, in 2011.Also a similar issue in 2010.
You should have information, in router, of all IP leases made by router recently. Are there any you do not recognise.
As others have suggested, turn off router for a period of time and check usage.
More inclined to believe this is a Newnet problem.
To blame your equipment is an easy cop out for them. My mac request would be on its way.

Edited by flippery (Wed 15-May-13 16:57:57)

Print Thread

Jump to