General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User trolleybus
(member) Fri 31-May-13 10:18:24
Print Post

Virgin Upgrade but no DDNS in the Superhub

[link to this post]

To get a better speed from Virgin they said the modem would need replacing requiring an engineer visit. Actually it meant that the modem AND router was taken out of service being replaced with an all in one unit. It was left to me restore customized settings which I wasn't happy about.

Now I tend to "call home" from time to time but with no fixed IP used DDNS to establish a connection. With port forwarding setup up to my PC I could pick off the files I wanted; even RDC was possible.

Now while this new "Superhub" does have port forwarding, there is no sign of DDNS being present in the router. Asked Virgin about this and their response was they did not support that facility. Well I don't need support as I am quite happy to configure DDNS myself.

It does some odd that port forwarding is there but not DDNS. OK the WAN IP is reasonably sticky but today's IP might be different tomorrow just when you need to "call home". I have a gut feeling that DDNS may be in the router, perhaps in command line format, and just needs activating.

I just don't understand Virgin's logic in not providing/showing DDNS in their router and yet allowing remote management and providing port forwarding. Anyone care to comment on that?
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-May-13 13:14:14
Print Post

Re: Virgin Upgrade but no DDNS in the Superhub

[re: trolleybus] [link to this post]

Its because it is not that popular thing to ask for, and if you are running a server you could run a dynDNS client on the server itself surely.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
  Print Thread

Jump to