General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ctb0503
(newbie) Fri 31-May-13 20:26:54
Print Post

Plusnet / Openreach misery - Not connected a month later

[link to this post]

We recently moved house and ordered the unlimited fibre broadband package from Plusnet. Everything seemed to go through absolutely fine - all of the checks on the line came back positive and an engineer was booked to come out to our house to install the broadband. And that's where any positive experience in this whole sorry saga ends, at the minute.

In order, this is the experience we've had so far (as of 31/5/13) :

30/4 - Broadband / Phone order placed. All tests on the line came back positive.
10/5 - Openreach engineer came out, asked us if PlusNet had informed us that there was a fault on the line which would need looking at first. We hadn't been informed at this point. Engineer stated that there were a couple of faults which needed looking at and the job would be delayed. Engineer left. We put in a support ticket to Plusnet to ask them to chase this up.
13/5 - Received response stating that suppliers had said the faults were cleared and we would receive a new tentative appointment in 24hrs.
14/5 - No tentative received. Asked to check back in 24 hours (a recurring theme through this whole process)
17/5 - Apparently there was now a dig job which needed doing which would delay the order further. This was due to be completed on the 21/5
22/5 - Another fault is magically discovered (on the distribution side) which has delayed the job yet further. Check back on 24/5.
24/5 - Asked to check back on the 31/5 as this has been delayed due to technical issues.
28/5 - At this point we got sick of being put off, so asked for the call to be escalated by PlusNet. This was done by one of their digital care team.
29/5 - Issue was chased up but simply told there were no more updates and check back on 31/5 (so turns out pushing for an escalation was a complete waste of time)
31/5 - Once again told that technical issues have delayed the order and we have to check back on the 6/6.

To say that this whole process has been a nightmare is a terrific understatement. We've constantly been fobbed off and off and told that we should check back at a later date when this may have been reviewed and will probably have been delayed once again. By the time of the next updated they will have known about this latest 'technical fault' for over 2 weeks and there's still no end in sight. That we're paying for this (lack of) service, and paid the entire year's line rental up front is particularly galling.

We have submitted a formal complaint with PlusNet and have not yet received even an initial response, despite submitting it 7 days ago.

We realise that the issues lie with Openreach specifically, but as there is no actual way to contact them we are forced to go through Plusnet, which has garnered us no joy whatsoever thus far.

We are fully prepared to take this further - indeed, as far as we possibly can - to get these issues resolved, as it is causing us no end of aggravation not having a working phone / broadband, in this day and age. But we are unsure exactly who is best to contact, who has the power to push this issue with PlusNet / Openreach. We were hoping the good people of this forum may be able to give us some practical advice - we're about at the end of our tether with the whole thing.
Standard User professor973
(committed) Fri 31-May-13 20:55:53
Print Post

Re: Plusnet / Openreach misery - Not connected a month later

[re: ctb0503] [link to this post]

A good reason to be with BT. If you can put up with the long contract.

The difference between genius and stupidity is; genius has its limits.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-May-13 21:36:45
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

How would being with BT helped? Plusnet is already bt owned remember

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

(committed) Fri 31-May-13 21:45:44
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Yes I remember. I also remember useless Plusnet customer support that had mostly out of date or incorrect info pages to go on. What I meant and I am sure you could see, is that having all services with BT stops the backwards and forwards getting nowhere situation between two suppliers, many who fight shy of a call-out charge. I know I am not with BT, but certainly would be for the line if it were not for the long tie-in. Understanding call centres apart, I could not fault BT when I was with them. When there is no phone service due to a fault, they divert all calls to your mobile at no cost. I suppose you get what you pay for sometimes, not that it stops us sometimes trying to save a few pennies, though my two services are around £40 per month, which I pay purely for no tie-in and good service. You have to admit, changeover to Plusnet still seems to be the gamble it was when I joined and ended hooked to another persons line. There is also the fact that a market 1 exchange like mine leaves Plusnet as expensive as others that give more for the money.

Edited by professor973 (Fri 31-May-13 21:52:20)

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-May-13 22:07:11
Print Post

So how does being with bt retail stop the problem of talking to bt wholesale and openreach?

Those layers still exist

The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
(committed) Fri 31-May-13 22:17:51
Print Post

here we go again ... I did not say that it did, just that it stopped being messed around by the likes of Plusnet. Anyway, I will leave you to find fault with someone else smile

Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 31-May-13 22:43:28
Print Post

So would buying from any of the hundreds of providers. Not saying Plusnet is perfect just many would assume you are saying these problems cannot happen if you go with BT and the irony that bt own plusnet

(committed) Fri 31-May-13 23:00:09
Print Post

I am saying you can do worse than have your line with BT. I know I am not alone in that. Other than that, I am talking about general chaos and very poor customer service from an ISP. Things like waiting over 24 hours then having to chase a ticket that has been ignored. Some reply in 10 minutes and actually help with correct info. In a nutshell, I am simply saying some customer service is far better than others, and you don't have to be tied down for ever and a day to get it. I view I am sure many have. As you say, many ISPs are are equally poor in one respect or another. As you know, grumpy old devils like me will soon have a moan, but, been quiet lately, so must be very happy with Freeola. Possibly no tie-in goes someway to ensure a service that keeps customers. Last post on the subject. Don't want to be flamed for taking a thread off track smile

Standard User Zarjaz
(knowledge is power) Fri 31-May-13 23:30:13
Print Post

But we are unsure exactly who is best to contact, who has the power to push this issue with PlusNet / Openreach

If your voice and and internet service providers are both Plusnet, then your only course of action is to escalate your complaint to them. Openreach are providing a service on behalf of Plusnet, it is for Plusnet to resolve the issue to you, their customers, satisfaction.

Might it be worth posting again in the Plusnet specific section of this forum which seems to frequently visited by Plusnet staff, having a single point of contact via one of their reps might get something going.

Edit for typo

Edited by Zarjaz (Fri 31-May-13 23:31:07)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 31-May-13 23:34:31
Print Post

You can also register and post on the Community Forums, where the Digital Care people go more often than here.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 53.4/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to