General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Fri 14-Jun-13 12:03:00
Print Post

Beware of PlusNet ....

[link to this post]

Hi, I thought I would circulate my unsavoury experience with PlusNet to warn other current and potential users. After 10 years of reasonable service I migrated recently to another ISP. 11 days prior to the agreed migration date (between the two ISPs) I received 5 emails from PlusNet confirming that they had cancelled my account, they pulled the plug on me getting rid of my email address and disconnecting my ADSL line and eliminating my static IP address. When I complained at the first sign of disconnection, my service was restored with an erratic dynamic IP address that kept dropping constantly, and I was told that neither my static IP address nor my email could be restored as they had now disappeared from their system.

These arbitrary actions without warning left me high and dry, I lost my static IP address and email, and naturally my username and password were being rejected. Meanwhile my new ISP quite rightly could not advance their go-live date. I had to reassure my email contacts that I had not been run over by a bus, it was simply an attack of shoddy customer service and a tantrum. The affair cost me dearly both in terms of personal hassle testing my equipment and router a number of times and the line by BT for more than a week and cost me money from lost work. As I work from home I was desperately looking for alternative comms contact and internet connections while PlusNet were full of excuses on the phone trying to cover up having treated me like a pariah, blaming inexistent technical faults, signal drops, etc. etc. they blatantly denied blame and I wrote to their MD, my letter was ignored. I finally sent them copies of their incriminating emails. They then went silent and I am still waiting for their reaction.

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience with either PlusNet or another ISP, and did they get anywhere with their ISP or OFCOM through the complaints procedure ? Human errors can happen but they can be accepted and rectified quickly. To add salt to the wound PlusNet told me on the phone that if I was a business customer they would give me priority with their technical team to sort my problems. No matter what I said, they always told me it must be a technical fault when the reality was staring them in the face, they pulled the plug on me and did not want to eat humble pie. As I was a leaving customer they could not care less, I was left scratching my head in disbelief as to how this could be a serious company that BT paid £76 million for.
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Fri 14-Jun-13 15:16:53
Print Post

Re: Beware of PlusNet ....

[re: ExPLUSNOT] [link to this post]

I'm sorry, but your sequence of events dont ring true.

When you migrate from one isp to another, all you do is ask your exhisting isp (Plusnet) for a mac code. Once you receive your mac code, you have 30 days to give it to another isp before it expires. If you haven't used the mac code to migrate to another isp within 30 days, you just continue with your exhisting isp (plusnet). nothing ever gets cancelled at all.
You would never of received any cancellation emails from plusnet.

Your sequence of events sounds like you didn't ask for your mac code, meaning you asked them to cancel your account. Plusnet followed your instructions to cancel, and sent you 5 warning emails that you have cancelled (NOT MIGRATE) your account.

You will most likely be liable for a cease charge aswell.

ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Fri 14-Jun-13 15:21:43
Print Post

Hi there,

Sorry to hear of your circumstances that you say we left you with. I'd like to take a look into this to see what happened and if I can I'll help in anyway possible.

Would it be possible to message me your username and I'll take action straight away?

Regards,

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Fri 14-Jun-13 15:48:22
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

wanapoo... before you post anything it would be wise if you get your facts right, then you would not waste anybody's time with your high horse explanations. A MAC code is not the only way to MIGRATE or to switch from one ISP to another ISP. Whether one calls it cancellation and someone else migration, the aim is to make the switch transparent with minimum disruption, whether a MAC code is used or not. It so happens that my broadband contract with PlusNet did not contemplate any such MAC codes, and they told me so, and naturally in the acknowledgements from PlusNet there was no mention of them sending me a MAC code, indeed my new ISP told me I did not need a MAC code. I gave the mandatory notice of 10 days as per my contract and they acknowledged it as correct and not liable to any extra charges.

When PlusNet pulled the plug on me on 2nd May I once more verified the agreed migration date with both PlusNet and my new ISP who respectively gave them as 10th and 13th May. Later PlusNet confirmed on the phone that yes, the migration date was scheduled for 13th May, yet they pulled the plug on me on 2nd May.

Be careful what you post to avoid wasting time and misleading readers.
Standard User ExPLUSNOT
(newbie) Fri 14-Jun-13 15:52:52
Print Post

[re: chrispurvey] [link to this post]

Thank you for your offer Chris. Someone else from support is already on the case.
You can find out full details with my username "transnet@plusdsl.net" ceasing on 13th May, but please do not duplicate any effort, only supplement it if you can.
Thank you
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Fri 14-Jun-13 16:19:05
Print Post

In reply to a post by ExPLUSNOT:
wanapoo... before you post anything it would be wise if you get your facts right,

ExPLUSNOT... There is nothing wrong with my facts, they are as published on the Ofcom website.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2010/08/switching-broa...

Standard User baby_frogmella
(experienced) Fri 14-Jun-13 16:32:27
Print Post

[re: wanapoo] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by wanapoo:
In reply to a post by ExPLUSNOT:
wanapoo... before you post anything it would be wise if you get your facts right,

ExPLUSNOT... There is nothing wrong with my facts, they are as published on the Ofcom website.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2010/08/switching-broa...

Sorry but you don't need a MAC when migrating from a BT based 20/21CN service to a LLU operator, which sounds like the route the OP was following. I was with Goscomb and migrated to TalkTalk LLU without a glitch:

1) Signed up to TalkTalk LLU
2) Shortly afterwards called up Goscomb and told them i wanted to migrate and gave them my 30 days notice. No MAC was given or requested.
3) My Goscomb 20CN connection worked right up to the day i went live with TalkTalk.

TalkTalk Plus LLU ADSL2+ 18383/1020 kbps
Pioneer Kuro 428XD ISF'd
iPhone 4S 16gb
ThinkPad X220
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 14-Jun-13 16:49:52
Print Post

[re: baby_frogmella] [link to this post]

baby_frogmella has the situation correct.

The additional advice is that even if the new provider does not need a MAC it can often be simpler for the old ISP to understand you are migrating if you ask for the MAC. Asking for MAC shows a clear desire to move provider and not simply cancel, which can be what happens sometimes.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User wanapoo
(committed) Fri 14-Jun-13 17:00:40
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

@Baby_Frogmella and MrSafron, You have both wondered off topic.

The OP's post was blaming Plusnet for something he instructed them to do. It was clear from his second post that he could not differentiate the difference between migrating and cancelling his contract.

Plusnet are not to blame, as they were following the customers instructions.

ISP Representative chrispurvey
(isp) Fri 14-Jun-13 17:01:50
Print Post

Sharon has stated the circumstances regarding your line and the timeline of events on ticket 69707347 which you can reply to if needed.

I can see that it stemmed from a re-number that you had which we were not informed of from what I can see, apart from your contact details were updated. This eventually led to the issues that arose.

We unfortunately did close your account early(2nd May) which you brought to our attention so we re-activated your account straight away. You then encountered issues connecting and lost your static IP which may have been the reason you were unable to connect if your had any router configuration set for this.

Unfortunately there's nothing I can change in what has happened and having to see what was a very loyal customer leave with a bad impression of us isn't something that we desire to see.

If you need any information regarding your account I'll be more than happy to provide this as will Sharon.

Regards,

Chris Purvey
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to