General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User DrBC
(newbie) Wed 31-Jul-13 09:37:49
Print Post

Vivaciti: Trouble Getting MAC

[link to this post]

Hi all,

Need some advice here. A relative has an account with Vivaciti and wants to change provider and thus needs a MAC.

She requested one via their ticket system and got a reply that one would be issued within 5 working days. After 10 working days without getting on she contacted them again and was told they had 'not recieved the MAC from our automated systems'.

After waiting a few more days she contacted them again and was ignored. So it's now 16 working days since the original request and still no MAC or any idea if/when one will be forthcoming.

So my question is, what now - Is there a set producure to go down when an ISP won't provide a MAC. Complain to Ofcom? Or does she just have to sit and wait?
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Jul-13 10:49:39
Print Post

Re: Vivaciti: Trouble Getting MAC **EDITED**

[re: DrBC] [link to this post]

Ofcom rules are the Internet Service Provider must issue the Migration Authorisation Code or MAC code within 5 working days.
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2010/08/switching-broa...

If they are keeping you waiting for the MAC code more than 5 working days send to them a letter of complaint.

Your name
Address line 1
Address line 2
Address line 3
Address line 4
Date
Dear (insert name)
Account Number:
I am writing to complain that I requested a MAC on (insert date) and I have not yet
received it.
Under Ofcom regulations, where a consumer or small business wishes to change
broadband provider, a MAC must be issued within 5 working days of the request.
I hope that you will now issue the MAC but, if this is not the case, please fully explain
the reason(s) why you are unable to.
As well as your explanation, if you are unable to resolve the matter, please tell me
the next steps in your complaints procedure or issue a deadlock letter outlining your
final position.
Yours
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2010/03/mac-code-not-r...

------------------------------------------------
Your name
Address line 1
Address line 2
Address line 3
Address line 4
Date
Dear (insert name)
Account Number:
I am writing to ask that you provide me with a MAC so that I can migrate my
broadband service to an alternative provider.
My understanding is that you will issue the MAC within 5 working days of receiving
this request.
If you are unable to provide a MAC, please explain the reason(s) for this.
Yours
http://consumers.ofcom.org.uk/2010/03/mac-code-request/

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router

Edited by E7er (Wed 31-Jul-13 18:06:34)

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 31-Jul-13 11:56:25
Print Post

Re: Vivaciti: Trouble Getting MAC

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by E7er:
I am writing in order to notify you that I wish to terminate my broadband contract with your company and switch to another provider.
Please can you action this as of today’s date and provide me with a MAC code within 5 workdays.
Dangerous! A MAC request means that you are considering leaving, but you don't have use the MAC eventually. So it is unwise to include the 1st sentence in a MAC request as it may be taken as a formal notice to terminate the service.

Better, just write only requesting the MAC and leave the termination notice till later when you have decided if and where to go. I.e. just send the 2nd of your letters.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 31-Jul-13 15:59:09
Print Post

Is it an Entanet product, and has she checked her vivaciti Control Panel, or whatever they call it, as Entanet MACs usually go there.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User E7er
(knowledge is power) Wed 31-Jul-13 18:14:13
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
In reply to a post by E7er:
I am writing in order to notify you that I wish to terminate my broadband contract with your company and switch to another provider.
Please can you action this as of today’s date and provide me with a MAC code within 5 workdays.
Dangerous! A MAC request means that you are considering leaving, but you don't have use the MAC eventually. So it is unwise to include the 1st sentence in a MAC request as it may be taken as a formal notice to terminate the service.

Better, just write only requesting the MAC and leave the termination notice till later when you have decided if and where to go. I.e. just send the 2nd of your letters.
Good thinking! I have now deleted the example letter referring to termination when asking for a MAC code, because the ISP might place a cease on the line. Then I understand a MAC code cannot be used. frown

EE broadband WBC 20 Mbps unlimited. Sync 15282 kbps Downstream, 1276 kbps Upstream. thinkbroadband/SpeedTest
Bright Box ADSL2+ wireless N Router supplied by EE/Orange
BT Business Hub 2Wire 2700HGV v2 ADSL2+ Dual SSID wireless Router
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 31-Jul-13 19:30:14
Print Post

[re: E7er] [link to this post]

Not only cannot the MAC be used, the line would be ceased at some point. Plus DSL Cease charges would apply.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 51.8/16.8Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User partial
(member) Wed 31-Jul-13 21:24:33
Print Post

Vivaciti are currently marketing in the Which ISP forum, so perhaps a post there might help.

http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/which_isp/t/4255826...
Standard User DrBC
(newbie) Thu 01-Aug-13 09:22:40
Print Post

[re: partial] [link to this post]

Thanks for the advice, eveyone.

The MAC is still MIA, but Vivaciti have got in touch to say the issue has been 'escalated'. We've decided if it has not been supplied by tomorrow a stiff letter demanding the MAC and a full explanation of the situation will be in order, plus a complaint to Ofcom.

Thanks again.
Standard User dev_null
(newbie) Tue 06-Aug-13 17:06:32
Print Post

I though I would comment here since I'm afraid I have an almost identical issue with Vivaciti. I opened a ticket requesting a MAC on Sunday 28.7.13. This was answered the next business day by Karl saying "we will be unable to generate this for you while we are carrying out network changes and changes to your package". I pointed out the 5 business day Ofcom provision and that I was expecting it by close of business Friday 2.8.13 to which Vivaciti replied that "there is an exception to the regulations and that is if there is an issue that means we cannot produce it."

When I pushed this issue asking for clarification as to why Vivaciti couldn't meet the Ofcom requirements, Karl said on 30.7.13 "there is an open order on the system for your DSL asset and as such a MAC cannot be generated". The penny then dropped. Certainly I hadn't requested a change of service (apart from requesting a MAC) nor had Vivaciti served me 30 days notice that a change of product was necessary. Yet it was quite clear that Vivaciti had unilaterally decided to change my service without prior consultation and coincidentally at the same time I requested a MAC!

As user "Jelv" says to Vivaciti (http://forums.thinkbroadband.com/unhappiness/4255811-vivaciti-trouble-getting-mac.html) commenting on this very thread "I'm sure you would not dispute that failing to comply with OFCOM regulations really is a disgrace!" Frankly I am inclined to agree with him.
Standard User flippery
(member) Tue 06-Aug-13 17:50:54
Print Post

It is strange that whilst Vivaciti quickly post their virtues of "free static IP" in PlusNet forum. They have not appeared here to assist their customers.
Crossed Vivaciti off my list of potential new ISP.
I would personally ring Ofcom and ask advice.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to