General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User jkm20000
(newbie) Sat 10-Aug-13 15:27:08
Print Post

Plusnet to Sky

[link to this post]

Hello I had PlusNet broadband for around 2 years. During this time my line has been stuck at 300 Kbps download and 448 upload. I knew this wasn't right but PlusNet kept telling me I was too far away from my BT centre.

I used my master socket but my speeds were still dreadful. I asked and begged plusnet to send out an engineer which they did, the engineer came to my house, found no fault and I was billed £320 a few years ago. PlusNet refused to remove this fee and I had to pay it after being faced with debt collection letters. PlusNets solution was to send somebody else out. Again I was billed over £100 for this visit as again no fault was available. I did not dare risk getting another engineer out!!!!!! I was scared to death of being charged again by these ruthless people.

I tried to upgrade to Fibre with PlusNet. This never went through correctly. The BT engineer came but could not get the fibre to work and he restored my old slow ADSL service.

Even though I didn't have fibre I was charged for fibre for 13 months even though I didn't have it. After 2 months of being charged for fibre PlusNet sent BT out to find out why. I agreed to this (expecting a charge and willing to fight it), an engineer came around, this engineer didn't realise I even wanted fibre, he thought I had an issue with my landline. I was not billed for this visit.

My charges for fibre continued despite me having ADSL.

Finally my service went down entirely to 82Kbps sync. I could not even access websites. PlusNets response 'you are on a long line, it has always been slow and there is nothing we can do other than send out BT with a potential cost.'

Every time I questioned why I was billed for fibre PlusNet kept promised next month I would not be billed. They could never do anything straight away because they cannot do anything mid-month to your bills. I asked them to refund me for the months I was overcharged and they promised a cheque. It never came. I rang over 10 times about this.

Enough was enough. I moved over to Sky. My slow speeds followed me to Sky. I contacted Sky who promised me they did not operate like PlusNet. THANK GOD. After some trouble with Skys line one support I got through to an amazing person in customer services on customer solutions support. This man was so great to me and told me there was no way in the universe he would bill me like PlusNet did. I had 3 engineers out, each time the engineers seemed puzzled. There was quite a bit of time between contacting Sky, a couple of months or so and I began to think my speeds were stuck at 100Kbps-ish. Then the guy at customer services called me (wow). Sky sent out a final engineer who located a fault.

I now see speeds of 19,997Kbps download 1112kbps upload. Line attentuation of 11db. Noise margin of 5.5db. Also the joke is my exchange is actually around 200metres away which BT tell me is extremely nearby.

Sky can also give me fibre optic which I am considering but this is just gloriously fantastic right now. I have netflix now and I can really use it. I have never been so happy. PlusNet literally milked the cash cow (Me). Well PlusNet say goodbye to the cashcow. I will never use you cowboys again! You may have stolen my money but I will disgrace you in every way I can.

James
Standard User professor973
(experienced) Sat 10-Aug-13 15:38:14
Print Post

Re: Plusnet to Sky

[re: jkm20000] [link to this post]

Not the fault of PN if the engineers at the time could not find a fault, though the billing for a non-service is typical of the shambolic PN system, that never seems to get updated and sorted despite promises.

Zen Home Talk Plus - Freeola Family Broadband.
http://speedtest.net/result/2690543838.png
Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Aug-13 15:39:27
Print Post

Glad you got there in the end!

But I really share your pain/suffering at that you went through!

Regards,
John

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User johnjburness
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sat 10-Aug-13 15:43:25
Print Post

[re: professor973] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by professor973:
Not the fault of PN if the engineers at the time could not find a fault,

Not certain I would fully agree with that!!

The OP mentions he is 200m from the Exchange (albeit the cable routing could make this longer), why didn't PN follow through on this?

A few years ago I had similar problems with PN & they were VERY dismissive of my queries - often arbitrarily closing tickets simply because "I had a working connection", even if it did drop out continually & was only crawling along!

Regards,
John
Standard User jkm20000
(newbie) Sat 10-Aug-13 15:47:28
Print Post

The engineers did not find a fault on PlusNet.

The first three sky engineers sent out did not see a fault.

Why should plusnet bill me when no faults available on the day but sky do not bill for the same thing. Also a bill over £300 was very difficult for me to find at the time and I had to extend my line of credit to pay for it on a very expensive credit card. I had become unemployed and at the time it hurt me so deeply and made me feel so bad.
It is clear that not every institution works by milking the cashcow. I am very happy now and to anybody in as big of a mess as I was I just want to say please please please move on and see the other side. The grass is not always greener on the otherside but it sometimes is and cannot hurt to try. I put up with this mess for years and I very often went to my friends or the library to get online yet I was paying for fibre to plus net lols.

Edited by jkm20000 (Sat 10-Aug-13 15:49:19)

(experienced) Sat 10-Aug-13 15:52:43
Print Post

Yes, though it's just a pity that when a fault was eventually shown, that you could not have been reimbursed, as you should not have been charged if the fault had been properly investigated and diagnosed. Just like the five day wait for a MAC with some, it a case of 'because we can' where charges are concerned.

Edited by professor973 (Sat 10-Aug-13 15:54:55)

(experienced) Sat 10-Aug-13 15:56:53
Print Post

[re: johnjburness] [link to this post]

Yes, I have suffered the AAF PN ticket system, where you must not add another comment to a ticket before receiving a reply, cos it upsets their applecart.

Standard User broadband66
(fountain of knowledge) Sat 10-Aug-13 16:42:48
Print Post

Was this a Voice or Broadband engineer? Did you have phone issues? Why didn't you cancel sooner, absorb the cancellation fee, and go with someone else.

You could take PN to the small claims court if you feel so strongly, but they were only charging you for a visit by a third party who charged them for a visit that they deemed was chargeable. Sky could have charged for the first few engineers but because they overcharge for Sky TV can absorb the costs to BB users.

Was Eclipse Home Option 1 & VM 2Mb
Now O2 standard
Standard User cavillas
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 11-Aug-13 13:51:02
Print Post

It IS the fault of PN in not stopping payment fro fibre when none was being supplied. It just seems funny that such a company can straight away increase charges, the next month, but not stop them as quickly and continue stealing funds in such a way.
I often thought about going back to PN but this sort of tale has definitely put me right off and I would never advise any of my family or friends to go with this company.

Alf
------------------------------------
smile IDNET Happiness Online smile
I am in no way employed or connected with IDnet other than as a customer.

There are 11 kinds of people, those who understand binary, those who don't and those who don't care.
ISP Representative orbrey
(isp) Mon 12-Aug-13 10:00:45
Print Post

Hi there,

Really sorry to hear that, though also quite surprised - to my knowledge we've never charged anything like £320 for an engineer appointment. The process is normally that we get the charge issued to us from BT, we then verify the charge and either reject it or pass it on to the customer - though even then it's around £144 + VAT. Is it possible you had a phone line fault and your line was with BT at the time, and that's where the charge came from?

Either way, it sounds like this needs looking into and clearing up. If you could post a ticket ID in this thread or drop me a PM with your Plusnet username I'd be happy to look into this for you and offer what resolution I can.

Regards,

Matthew Taylor
Plusnet Customer Support
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to