General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User SpooRancher
(newbie) Thu 19-Sep-13 15:37:39
Print Post

Eclipse vs iOS7

[link to this post]

I've had FTTC broadband from Eclipse since mid July. Tests here have given a consistent 17 - 18 Mb/s for both single and agreegate streams.

But around 12 Sep or a few days earlier, speed started to drop, and now I get a wildly fluctuating 1 - 3 Mb for a single stream, and 8 - 12 for aggregate. Latency has gone from 23 - 25 mSec to 50+

Today Eclipse claim my line tests OK (18.6Mbit) and "it's all due to iOS7"

Seems astounding their network is collapsing like this just because of iOS7 (expecially since this started before iOS7 was released). They claim "all their FTTC connections are affected" and "nothing to be done but wait".

Do other Eclipse users see this?

Thanks

Alan
Standard User SpooRancher
(newbie) Fri 20-Sep-13 17:57:08
Print Post

Re: Eclipse vs iOS7

[re: SpooRancher] [link to this post]

UPDATE:

Well, as of lunchtime today (Sep 20) Eclipse are still giving unacceptable performance (although it's a little better, and they've had some reasonable moments)

Astonishingly they still claim it's because "the Internet is busy with iOS7 downloads" even though stats from various places don't back this up....
Standard User Chrysalis
(legend) Sun 22-Sep-13 18:05:51
Print Post

Re: Eclipse vs iOS7

[re: SpooRancher] [link to this post]

smaller isps have a harder time of dealing with sudden larger bouts of traffic unless they run under a policy of where they keep utilisation levels below 50% or so, which according to some is a unrealistic expectation today.

BT I expect the 2nd night shuffled traffic round their peering points to avoid the issue. Even on the 1st night it seemed to only affect tbb on my connection as everything else I was doing was unaffected.

BT Infinity 2 Since Dec 2012 - BQM

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread

Jump to