General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Tue 10-Dec-13 20:09:39
Print Post

Re: BT Privacy with Caller Display

[re: 4M2] [link to this post]

It says here:
BT Privacy with Caller Display will cost £1.75 a month from 4 January 2014, but existing customers of the service can pre-register to continue getting it free for 12 months°. Find out more and register at bt.com/freecallerdisplay. BT Privacy with Caller Display will remain free for BT Basic customers.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Tue 10-Dec-13 20:18:23
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
It says here:
BT Privacy with Caller Display will cost £1.75 a month from 4 January 2014, but existing customers of the service can pre-register to continue getting it free for 12 months°. Find out more and register at bt.com/freecallerdisplay. BT Privacy with Caller Display will remain free for BT Basic customers.

Thanks, I didn't see that before smile
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jan-14 14:05:18
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

As I indicated last month, the act of pre-registering caused the appearance of a selectable 'BT Privacy with Caller Display free for 12 months' option in your list of Calling Features but unselected. On 31st Dec this option was this option was selected w/out any intervention from me for all 3 lines that I manage and had pre-registered.

Another line that hadn't pre-registered for BT Privacy + free Caller Display also had that option added previously but it hasn't been auto selected.

So it looks like the act of pre-registering caused the 12 month line rental contract for BT Privacy + free Caller Display to start just before the chargeable deadline of 4th Jan and not, as many believed, just after the pre-registration deadline of 6th Dec. Presumably one could still deselect that option before 4th Jan and not be committed to a 12 month line rental contract but instead pay £1.75 pm for BT Privacy + Caller Display.

EDIT: As the promised email from pre-registering has never appeared, BT presumably cannot regard the act of pre-registering as entering or a prequel to a new binding contract, particularly from the point of view of the Distance Selling Regs?

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 02-Jan-14 14:23:15)

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User flippery
(committed) Thu 02-Jan-14 15:04:04
Print Post

I also preregistered.
Today on checking calling features, the £1.75 Caller Display option highlighted, needed to place new order to get for 12 Months free.
Whether you have preregistered or not, worth checking online,
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jan-14 15:14:58
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

That's what I was talking about. The free for 12 months option was auto selected for all 3 lines I had pre-registered w/out needing to do anything incl. placing a new order.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jan-14 16:13:15
Print Post

It's a bit more difficult if you already have another order outstanding. My Mum has moved house and because the order for the phone line move is in progress you can't seem to check the status of the BT Privacy option - just says there is an outstanding order and that won't be finished until well after 4/1.
Standard User 4M2
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jan-14 16:18:27
Print Post

My aunt got her quarterly BT Basic phone bill a few days ago and she was not billed in advance for BT Privacy and Caller Display nor was it mentioned on the bill as an additional account feature.

Hopefully she will continue to get BT Privacy and Caller Display for free even though she didn't respond to the confusing notification letter regarding price increases and the phone call that she received from BT Retail back in October.
Standard User flippery
(committed) Thu 02-Jan-14 16:28:34
Print Post

In reply to a post by XRaySpeX:
That's what I was talking about. The free for 12 months option was auto selected for all 3 lines I had pre-registered w/out needing to do anything incl. placing a new order.

The £1.75 / month option was selected ( despite preregistration ). Unlike yours which had free 12 months free option selected.
Seems preregistration may not automatically give the free option implied.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Thu 02-Jan-14 20:46:56
Print Post

[re: flippery] [link to this post]

Are we looking in the same place? I don't mean here: http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProduc... which just lists what you could get not what you actually have which you can view by pressing 'Change your Calling Features' button @ top R and then starting, but not completing, an order for your line.

EDIT: Mine was auto switched to Free for 12m option only 2 days ago. Of course, yours might have been in a queue to have it done yet.

Edited by XRaySpeX (Thu 02-Jan-14 21:49:16)

Standard User cheshire_man
(knowledge is power) Thu 02-Jan-14 22:40:38
Print Post

If I go down that route, the BT Privacy at Home with Caller Display is selected with a monthly cost of £0.00. However, despite having pre-registered and having renewed a 12 month Line Rental Saver a month ago, the BT Privacy at Home with Caller Display free for 12 months is not selected.

I'm thinking I need to talk to BT tomorrow (Friday).

Tony
We have more and more laws, and less and less enforcement
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | [5] | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to