General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User 2junkcatcher
(newbie) Sat 26-Oct-13 09:11:54
Print Post

Plusnet blocking mail forwarding

[link to this post]

Some years we have had two domain names with basic hosting with LCN. All mail to these domains is forwarded by LCN to our mailboxes at our ISP Plusnet.

This system has worked fine for several years both with plusnet and my previous ISPs , until this week Plusnet made changes to their email system security and now forwarded email from our domains is being blocked.

LCN support responded very quickly stating they were already aware of the problem and have confirmed the emails are being forwarded but are blocked at Plusnet,
LCN have told me they have tried to raise the issue with Plusnet but report recieving no response from Plusnet.

That LCN were aware of the problem suggests I am not the only one with domains affected by the problem.

I have now raised a ticket with Pluisnet asking them to contact LCN about the problem and await their response.

After years of being very happy with Plusnet I may well now migrate to another ISP.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Sat 26-Oct-13 09:38:42
Print Post

Re: Plusnet blocking mail forwarding

[re: 2junkcatcher] [link to this post]

(Edit - just realised, you probably don't pay for hosting. If so, sorry.)

Why not just access, and send, your mail direct at/to LCN? You would solve the immediate problem in ten minutes.

I've always used my mail host's POP/IMAP/SMTP servers. Using your ISP's just adds more points of failure, this in a way being one.

I believe most people with their own domains use their servers.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 55.8/14.5Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Sat 26-Oct-13 09:40:35)

Standard User JohnR
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Sun 27-Oct-13 09:04:51
Print Post

In reply to a post by 2junkcatcher:
I have now raised a ticket with Pluisnet asking them to contact LCN about the problem and await their response.

Agree with the above poster and avoiding using you isp to create a extra link in the chain.

But I would be contacting PlusNet yourself for their reply.
You may find that they won't talk to your provider on the issue.

\_0-0_/ AdsL is Hell \_0-0_/
Powered by Oh 2
Wats SUP doc.... You using too much.....

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Mon 28-Oct-13 10:47:32
Print Post

Not sure if you're aware of a similar conversation over on our forums? Bob's replied in a fair bit of detail.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email

Edited by chrisparr (Mon 28-Oct-13 11:16:05)

The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User David_W
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 10:53:53
Print Post

[re: chrisparr] [link to this post]

Chris' link got garbled (there's two http:// at the beginning). This link should work.

ISP Representative chrisparr
(isp) Mon 28-Oct-13 11:16:19
Print Post

[re: David_W] [link to this post]

Thanks, fixed.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
The above post has been made by an ISP REPRESENTATIVE (although not necessarily the ISP being discussed in the post).
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 21:31:01
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

I usually recommend using forwarding to a service such as Runbox, Fastmail, or a free service such as GMail. However, it does depends a little on the hosting firm (some, such as Xilo, for example, have multiple mail servers, whereas others may use the same server for website and mail, and if they do maintenance or have some problem, user tends to lose access for both).

No idea why someone would forward to their ISP. It just makes extra work when/if they want to switch service (and some have poor access from a mobile, too).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 22:45:09
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

I've never heard of Runbox or Fastmail, but as you specifically say Gmail is free, which we know, I assume they charge.

I have several hosting packages with Tsohost, virtually identical. Each package officially supports two domains' web and email hosting, but are easily made to support more web sites.

Cost of each, £14.99pa = £1.25pm. Suits me smile. Some of them I don't have websites on - the email hosting is worth that much.

There are popular hosts cheaper, but this firm is excellent.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,website and mail hosting - Tsohost.

Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User ultra
(fountain of knowledge) Mon 28-Oct-13 23:21:03
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

As you deduced, Runbox and Fastmail are commercial services with fee structures. Fastmail was actually bought by Opera, but after a change in direction at Opera, is independent again. I think they are two of the better-known mail service which offered a number of options for users before GMail and various others.

I don't know what Xilo charges for hosting individual domains, as my account is as a reseller (NB definitely not touting for business on TBB!) as it allows me to have a large number of domains of my own as well as hosting for clients too, at about a third of the cost (per domain) as you're paying.

POP/IMAP mail is available, but for many purposes, the spam filtering, mail searching, and storage for GB of mail, on offer from GMail, for free, give some advantages (not least in not having to concern myself with support of MS Outlook, among other things).

---

If you run a business, have a second ISP and backup web hosting...
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Mon 28-Oct-13 23:41:42
Print Post

[re: ultra] [link to this post]

Is that MS Outlook the renamed Hotmail, or the real Outlook?

Whichever, I use Thunderbird as my POP3/IMAP/SMTP client anyway, as all current MS mail client user interfaces appal me.

I assume you aren't getting confused with Domain hosting? That is far cheaper. As for website and mail hosting, it is not relevant to compare the effective cost to you of using a little bit of the bulk provision that you pay for as a reseller with what is available to normal punters smile.

Each of my packages does include 10 email address and unlimited aliases as well, though yours may too. How about 24/7/365 phone, ticket and email support that typically answers the phone within a few seconds and responds to the other two within minutes? With valid and pertinent replies? No "first-line support" dross.

Print Thread

Jump to