General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User Jwar
(newbie) Fri 17-Jan-14 10:32:13
Print Post

O2 IP migration catastrophy

[link to this post]

I have been with O2 as my business ISP for 6months. Last Friday 17th I was told my static IP address had be migrated to a new system. I didn't think that would be a problem - but how wrong could I be!!!!
Seven days later to cut a long story short I still don't have a static IP address and I've been unable to communicate via email for the last 7 days. Email is integral to our business and apart from losing my time trying to sort this out all week, when I do have other things to do - I'm aware that we've lost business. I'm stuck - I want to switch supplier but everything takes at least 6 days to switch over (45 days for Virgin). O2 tell me when its going to be resolved (usually 24 hours) but when that 24 hours is up - I get told it's going to be another 24 hours - If I was given an honest answer I can plan....
Is there anyone out there had similar problems? I'm almost defeated and very frustrated!!!
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Fri 17-Jan-14 12:03:01
Print Post

Re: O2 IP migration catastrophy

[re: Jwar] [link to this post]

It might be worth considering moving the email to a hosted solution, i.e. break the link to the broadband line.

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User PeterProxy
(newbie) Fri 17-Jan-14 12:14:13
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

Definitely.

We outsourced ours to Microsoft (Office365) Can't fault it so far..

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User Jwar
(newbie) Fri 17-Jan-14 14:27:30
Print Post

[re: PeterProxy] [link to this post]

Thanks for your advice both. I'm looking into it now. I think breaking the link with the broadband line is definitely the way to go for us.
Standard User jonathanjo
(newbie) Mon 26-Jan-15 13:16:44
Print Post

Hi Jwar

Sorry to hear you've had troubles. Another suggestion is to ensure that your DNS for your company is with anybody but your ISP. The DNS is the principal archtiectural method designed to deal with IP address changes. If your have independent control of your DNS, you can change the published IP address of your mail/web/whatever servers and have them active in minutes/hours.

There can be issues *sending* mail, but that's quite different from a business point of view.

Notwithstanding: I too would recommend online services in many situations, certainly excellent from a business continuity point of view.

Hope that's helpful (to someone!)

Kind regards
Jonathan.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Mon 26-Jan-15 14:58:34
Print Post

Duh! I read it as Jan 2015.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Mon 26-Jan-15 15:03:13)

Standard User RobertoS
(elder) Mon 26-Jan-15 15:00:25
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

OP has two posts, both in this thread, both Jan 2014 tongue wink.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 57.2/15.0Mbps @ 600m. - IPv4BQM IPv6BQM

"Angels can fly because they can take themselves lightly." - G K Chesterton.
  Print Thread

Jump to