General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread
Standard User crxyz
(newbie) Tue 21-Jan-14 23:28:33
Print Post

BT charged £163 cancellation fee because of speed upgrade

[link to this post]

I joined BT in 2010 and use BT infinite option 2 at the beginning. In March 2013, I got a email from BT that I can get faster speed without extra cost. I thought that is a free upgrade and I did follow the link and upgrade my service. This month, I wanted to switch to talktalk as it is 1/3 cheaper. At the day the service is switched over, I got a email that I will be charged 163 pound cancellation fee. I called BT and was told that because of the speed upgrade, my contract was automatically renewed. I told the customer service that I was not notified there would be a 12 month contract automatic renew. If I know that, I would not do it because for a normal home user, there is no difference for max speed of 35M and 70M (anyway what I can get, according to speed test is max 50M in my area). I do acknowledge that I did not read the whole term and condition listed on BT website (who will !!). However, I did check my on-line account and did not find any information about my contract period before I did the switch over. As I have been with BT for nearly four years, I thought my contract should be ended at the end of the first 12 months. It is not fair to bind the end customer into another contract with something not really useful and without notifying customer clearly.

Please suggest what can I do.
Administrator MrSaffron
(staff) Tue 21-Jan-14 23:40:12
Print Post

Re: BT charged £163 cancellation fee because of speed upgrad

[re: crxyz] [link to this post]

£163 cancellation for a contract that is 12 months long and started in March 2013 sounds odd. What is the break down for the fee?

Andrew Ferguson, andrew@thinkbroadband.com
www.thinkbroadband.com - formerly known as ADSLguide.org.uk
The author of the above post is a thinkbroadband staff member. It may not constitute an official statement on behalf of thinkbroadband.
Standard User noppix1
(newbie) Tue 21-Jan-14 23:50:48
Print Post

[re: crxyz] [link to this post]

I have had problems with virgin in the past with issue. Do you still have the Email?.

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 00:34:18
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

On Infinity it was probably an 18 month contract (OP never checked the T&Cs and we have only his statement that it would be 12 m). So he's probably being asked for 8-9 months @ about £18-20 pm early termination (hold to term) charges for BB + phone plan.

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC

Edited by XRaySpeX (Wed 22-Jan-14 00:35:44)

Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Jan-14 01:06:36
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

I think a few well-know posters here have been on Infinity and upgraded it within the first six months, resulting in their existing 18-month contract being replaced by a 12-month one from the upgrade date.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 01:15:29
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
upgraded it within the first six months
OP regraded after over 2 years!

1999: Freeserve 48K Dial-Up => 2005: Wanadoo 1 Meg BB => 2007: Orange 2 Meg BB => 2008: Orange 8 Meg LLU => 2010: Orange 16 Meg LLU => 2011: Orange 20 Meg WBC
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 22-Jan-14 01:55:27
Print Post

[re: XRaySpeX] [link to this post]

My point being the upgrade resulted in a 12-month term, despite the customer having more than 12 months outstanding. That, to me, implies the OP is right in what he says about his contract, seeing as he had nothing outstanding.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User XRaySpeX
(eat-sleep-adslguide) Wed 22-Jan-14 02:46:05
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Yes, your point is valid. However each contract will be as BT sees fit to offer at the time.

Standard User crxyz
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 08:14:58
Print Post

[re: MrSaffron] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by MrSaffron:
£163 cancellation for a contract that is 12 months long and started in March 2013 sounds odd. What is the break down for the fee?

The email was received in March but I possible did the upgrade in April. I still need to check with BT when the contract will end as I cannot find any information about it.
Standard User crxyz
(newbie) Wed 22-Jan-14 08:24:35
Print Post

[re: noppix1] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by noppix1:
I have had problems with virgin in the past with issue. Do you still have the Email?.

Here is the email from BT. Finally noticed a single sentence about renewing contract. But it does not mention anything how long the contract is, 1month, 2months, etc? When I signed up with BT at the beginning, I clearly saw the duration of the contract. But where is that information when I did the upgrade.

Hello,
We recently sent you a couple of emails, telling you how to get even faster BT Infinity without paying a penny more. It's all thanks to improvements we've made to our network in your neighbourhood.
See how fast you can go
To see just how fast your new BT Infinity can go, try our speed checker.
We can now roughly double your download speed from up to 36Mb to up to 76Mb, and your upload speed from up to 9Mb to up to 19Mb. (Of course, as with all broadband, your speed will depend on your line, location and the time of day.)
Nothing to lose
When you renew your BT Infinity contract, as well as not paying a penny more, you'll keep the calling plan you're on.
Plus, as an Infinity customer, you'll keep getting:
unlimited broadband¹ usage and wi-fi minutes²
free protection for up to seven PCs or Macs with BT NetProtect Plus³
free access to 4.5 million wi-fi hotspots in the UK and 3 million abroad⁴
Once you've checked your new potential speed, just click on the link below to sign up for a new contract at no extra cost.
Pages in this thread: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)   Print Thread

Jump to