General Discussion
  >> ISP Unhappiness

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Print Thread
Standard User da_flash
(committed) Wed 05-Mar-14 11:25:37
Print Post

Sky Fibre speed drops

[link to this post]

Was getting about 30 down and 8 up on Sky fibre and was happy with that beens I'm about 700 metres from the cabinet. After the recent storms I had several losses of power which obviously affected the Openreach kit. My speed dropped to 19 down 7 up.

Now I had seen after a few power cuts before the speed drop and new it would come back slowly overtime or until I called Sky.

I left it 2 weeks and it didnt rectify. Ill called Sky who told me that my line estimate had changed from its original 27.9 down to 21 down, almost 8Meg!!!! Now the best part is there is nothing they can do about that as its due to new customers added in the Cabinet,

The copper cabinet only feeds approx 100 properties and I was the first customer in the fibre cabinet back in July.

Is this all correct and nothing can be done?

Thanks
Craig

Cheers C
Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 11:36:42
Print Post

Re: Sky Fibre speed drops

[re: da_flash] [link to this post]

Can't be definitive but it is possible it is cross talk slowing you down - many people who are early adopters will see faster speeds at first and then get slower as more lines are connected.

It is also possible that due to the power cuts the DLM has kicked in and lowered your line rate for stability. If that is the case then Sky may be able to got wholesale to reset it - you could ask them if they can get the DLM reset and see what happens.
Standard User da_flash
(committed) Wed 05-Mar-14 11:52:56
Print Post

[re: ian72] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by ian72:
Can't be definitive but it is possible it is cross talk slowing you down - many people who are early adopters will see faster speeds at first and then get slower as more lines are connected.

It is also possible that due to the power cuts the DLM has kicked in and lowered your line rate for stability. If that is the case then Sky may be able to got wholesale to reset it - you could ask them if they can get the DLM reset and see what happens.

Is there line management of fibre? I didnt think there was?

Cheers C

Register (or login) on our website and you will not see this ad.

Standard User ian72
(knowledge is power) Wed 05-Mar-14 12:28:58
Print Post

You have me thinking now but I am sure there is DLM on FTTC (it is the VDSL part that uses DLM) - FTTP doesn't need DLM.
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Wed 05-Mar-14 12:30:39
Print Post

That depends what yu mean by "line management".

There is an Openreach DLM running in the FTTC cabinet DSLAM, and on BT Wholesale services, (i.e. all except Sky and TalkTalk), there is also an IP Profile of 0.9769 imposed by BT Wholesale.

Individual ISPs may also have their own line management.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.

Edited by RobertoS (Wed 05-Mar-14 12:31:26)

Standard User da_flash
(committed) Fri 07-Mar-14 10:46:30
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

In reply to a post by RobertoS:
That depends what yu mean by "line management".

There is an Openreach DLM running in the FTTC cabinet DSLAM, and on BT Wholesale services, (i.e. all except Sky and TalkTalk), there is also an IP Profile of 0.9769 imposed by BT Wholesale.

Individual ISPs may also have their own line management.

So who decides or what equates the new estimated speeds?

Cheers C
Standard User RobertoS
(sensei) Fri 07-Mar-14 12:03:45
Print Post

Estimated speeds are by Openreach and relate to the connection speed, (sync), not the data throughput (speed test) speed. The BT Wholesale checker gets its data from Openreach.

My broadband basic info/help site - www.robertos.me.uk | Domains,site and mail hosting - Tsohost.
Connection - Plusnet UnLim Fibre (FTTC). Sync ~ 59.4/14.4Mbps @ 600m. - BQM

"Where talent is a dwarf, self-esteem is a giant." - Jean-Antoine Petit-Senn.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Allergy information: This post was manufactured in an environment where nuts are present. It may include traces of understatement, litotes and humour.
Standard User da_flash
(committed) Tue 11-Mar-14 08:47:36
Print Post

[re: RobertoS] [link to this post]

Is it possible a fault scenario can cause the estimate to drop.

Cheers C
  Print Thread

Jump to